Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Is the 3090Ti worth financial penury?

13 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

How do you find the power draw & temps of the 3090 compared to the 3080TI?

I have been eying up a couple of 3090TI's, they are still pretty expensive here and I am not sure there will be a massive difference in MSFS. The 3090's have really dropped though 

Around 50-70w higher power usage. Temps are a bit better actually, considering that I had a FE 3080Ti.

I limit MSFS to 40fps, though. That surely helps running things more efficiently. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Around 50-70w higher power usage. Temps are a bit better actually, considering that I had a FE 3080Ti.

I limit MSFS to 40fps, though. That surely helps running things more efficiently. 

Thank you,

Have you tried undervolting your GPU? I found my power draw dropped nearly 100W with no discernable difference in quality. I assume you are using a GSYNC display if you are limiting fps to 40? I use a regular 60Hz 4K TV right now and have to go with either 30 or 60 for the best results.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Thank you,

Have you tried undervolting your GPU? I found my power draw dropped nearly 100W with no discernable difference in quality. I assume you are using a GSYNC display if you are limiting fps to 40? I use a regular 60Hz 4K TV right now and have to go with either 30 or 60 for the best results.

I did undervolt my 3080Ti but not yet the 3090 (the overall power usage stays around 300W and mems @ 86c, so not sure if it is needed) and, yes, I do have a G-Sync display. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 8/6/2022 at 9:59 AM, GCBraun said:

I would definetly recommend the 3090 or 3090Ti if MSFS@4K is your main use-case. For other games it does not make sense, but I am regularly seeing 13Gb+ VRAM usage with the sim and that still on DX11.

I sold the PC I built last month and did a new build again based on the i7-12700K but this time with a EVGA FTW3 3090. So far I have seen an improvement with the 3090 and it is nice to have that extra VRAM 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I am returning the AMD 6900xt and getting a 3800 12gb instead for $100 more than I paid for the 6900xt.

It worked great MOST of the time, but I have a few issues:

1) Had a couple Unexplained stop errors and hard locks in MSFS, as in BSOD, though they seem to have gone away for now.

2) The AMD Adrenaline software is awful because the fan settings keep resetting and it forces you to re-enter them, this is a terrible software design decision. AMD has probably lost 10+ million in sales from this one stupid design decision, I know there are thousands of complaints in forums about it.

3) Stability in third party rendering software like Substance Painter (though TBH, I haven't tried it much with this card)

4) Freezes in Dev mode, though lately these also seem to have mostly gone away

5) The HP Reverb G2 has an issue where it resets my monitor to 30hz, and I think it's the AMD driver not playing that great with the Reverb

6) Poor DX12 support for now in MSFS and a few other games

I will probably lose a few FPS, mainly on the bottom-end (slowest frames), but I can live with it.

I already replaced my power supply (with eVGA 1200 watt), replaced memory with brand new corsair memory, and a new NVME drive, but no luck...

So what is the cause, I assume it is an imperfect driver compatibility issue specifically with the TDLR between the motherboard - ASROCK B450 Pro and the AMD 6900xt. The AMD is a pretty good card, but the problem will REMAIN that on EVERY single crash you have, you will ALWAYS wonder, is it the AMD as the cause...

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram