Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Honeycomb Yoke Buttons Randomly Unresponsive

Since the last update, I note that the buttons that I have assigned on my Honeycomb yoke randomly stop working. After some time, they work again. The yoke itself still functions OK. Has anyone else noticed this?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Well. I think I may have my answer. I pushed in both ends of the cable that connects to yoke to the panel and I think it is OK!

Rick Abshier

2 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Well. I think I may have my answer. I pushed in both ends of the cable that connects to yoke to the panel and I think it is OK!

Yeah, bad connections will do that, it has happened to me at times. Now I know to check there first😄.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, airlinejets said:

Yeah, bad connections will do that, it has happened to me at times. Now I know to check there first😄.

I will from now on!

Rick Abshier

Get a longer cable ASAP and do not continue to use the one that came with the yoke. It is too short and will wear out the port it is connected to. Once that has happened no buttons will ever be functional ever again.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Get a longer cable ASAP and do not continue to use the one that came with the yoke. It is too short and will wear out the port it is connected to. Once that has happened no buttons will ever be functional ever again.

Thanks - I have a longer one in my "box-of wires" in the garage!

Edited by ricka47

Rick Abshier

I've always wondered abut the longevity of that telephone cable that joins the yoke to the base. So far mine is ok, but I'll be looking for a bigger cable just in case I need it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

13 minutes ago, MaGer1965 said:

Is this electronically a standard LAN cable?

More like an old telephone cable.

29 minutes ago, CFIJose said:

More like an old telephone cable.

Answered my question by myself: It IS a standard LAN cable (with RJ45 crimp connectors). Just plugged in a CATwhatever, and it worked.... @CFIJose: These not so old telephone cables have a different, much smaller connector called RJ10. They WON'T match mechanically.

spacer.png

Edited by MaGer1965

6 hours ago, Farlis said:

You are correct...mine was having similar issues and I replaced with a longer cable and still continued to have problems.  I now cannot use any of the bottoms on the yoke.  I love their throttle quadrant but this yoke has been a huge disappointment for me....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

4 hours ago, MaGer1965 said:

Answered my question by myself: It IS a standard LAN cable (with RJ45 crimp connectors). Just plugged in a CATwhatever, and it worked.... @CFIJose: These not so old telephone cables have a different, much smaller connector called RJ10. They WON'T match mechanically.

Thanks for clarifying. It felt like a small old telephone cable, but it is a LAN type. I even have an extra one in black. What did you settle on, a 3 footer?

My original still works fine, so I was just testing - yes, with a 3 foot (1m) cable.

But I will search sources for a really short spiral CAT 5 (which I most likely will have then to crimp by myself.) The big river only has relatively long (+3 foot) spiral cables. In any case - it's not something I worry about: Just important to know that the original cable CAN be replaced easily.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 3:16 PM, ricka47 said:

Since the last update, I note that the buttons that I have assigned on my Honeycomb yoke randomly stop working. After some time, they work again. The yoke itself still functions OK. Has anyone else noticed this?

In my case the problem was not the port or the cable but the poor soldering of the RJ-45 port to the circuit board (dry joints) and I suspect it is the same for most failures of which there seem to be many. If you have soldering skills it is a reasonably easy repair as described in this thread. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/617788-i-repaired-my-alpha-yokes-rj-45-port/

or if still in warranty return it.

Mick

On 6/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, Farlis said:

Yup, exactly this. I had to make a makeshift cable to stop the LAN port being tugged at. Really bad design. I had the yoke replaced once all ready because of it. 

• Like 1