Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

To move or re-install?

Putting together a new PC build today.  So that means getting MSFS on that new PC.  It was bought via the MS Store.  Should I try to copy the Official and Community folders to the new PC and let MS/MS Store hopefully fill in the gaps for setting up the rest or just download from scratch.  Saw lots of posts/vids on moving to a new SSD/HDD but thats on the same PC.  Not much on moving/installing on a new PC.  I am ok doing it either way but just wanted to hear from anyone that has done somthing similar,

Thx, Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You can just move your existing Official/Community folders, when you reinstall the sim just point the installer to where they are now.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

Sounds like a disaster waiting ot happen, to try and move files to the new PC, other than the community folder. I would just reinstall the sim on the new PC, and the copy and paste the community folder. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

As Bob said above, I'd just move the Community folder and leave everything else to MS Store to re-download. Will probably save you a ton of headaches.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Move Community. Move Official. Don't move anything else. MSFS will fill in the needed new system files. Community and Official have to be in the same folder. That folder they will be in together does not have to be called Packages, it can have any name.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like a disaster waiting ot happen, to try and move files to the new PC, other than the community folder. I would just reinstall the sim on the new PC, and the copy and paste the community folder. 

3 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

As Bob said above, I'd just move the Community folder and leave everything else to MS Store to re-download. Will probably save you a ton of headaches.

I've moved the official folder between a few installs, I've had zero issues.

Hell I've moved an MS Store Official folder to a Steam install, and worked fine. I had the gamepass version, then later bought it on Steam, didn't feel like redownloading everything, so I decided to test to see if it would work, and it did. I had no issues. Back when only the MS Store version had Betas, moved the files over to steam the night before the patch so I wouldn't have to download all of it in the morning, just whatever changes they made between the Beta build and the final.

The "official' folder is acts exactly the same as the community folder, it just holds official/Marketplace packages instead of community ones. There's nothing special in it like EXEs or config files. All that stuff is stored elsewhere.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

Hey, Clutch.Can you put the old drive into your new motherboard, in a different slot, and transfer everything over? 

like cloning it? 

Edited by simaddict

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

I just had to do a reinstall. Just left the Community and Official folders in place (I've got them in D:\MSFS). Then I uninstalled MSFS and did a reinstall from the Xbox app. Everything that was needed was around a 1Gb download, then some syncing after startup and I was good to go. No need to go through everything from scratch and download the whole ordeal - in my case around 200Gb. And that's of course excluding all freeware and payware addons. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I did a reinstall yesterday because I want to start fresh with that addon manager app. Just picking uninstall in steam does not do it. I found that I had to manually delete the Microsoft Flight Simulator folders on my machine. Then I was still a bit bemused to find that my steam folder on my PC still had 130gb left in it!

Copy all of Community and Official onto the new computer. Let MSFS fill in the other stuff (which as Capt_Piett says will  be very small and take very little time to download). 

I also believe the following is true: You can still run MSFS on the old computer too. Apparently, their license permits that. If so, you would be signing onto MSFS with same gamertag and password on both computers. I believe the computers can have way different addons, marketplace or otherwise and that it doesn't matter a fig to Microsoft. At sign on from either computer, MSFS will check to which marketplace purchased stuff your gamertag and password owns the rights to. From what I read elsewhere, MSFS will not care about  how much or how little you have of 3rd party freeware nor non marketplace payware on either of the two systems in Community. 

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Fielder said:

Copy all of Community and Official onto the new computer. Let MSFS fill in the other stuff (which as Capt_Piett says will  be very small and take very little time to download). 

I also believe the following is true: You can still run MSFS on the old computer too. Apparently, their license permits that. If so, you would be signing onto MSFS with same gamertag and password on both computers. I believe the computers can have way different addons, marketplace or otherwise and that it doesn't matter a fig to Microsoft. At sign on from either computer, MSFS will check to which marketplace purchased stuff your gamertag and password owns the rights to. From what I read elsewhere, MSFS will not care about  how much or how little you have of 3rd party freeware nor non marketplace payware on either of the two systems in Community. 

Looks like some good advice here,

I will be installing a new CPU/motherboard/RAM this weekend. My MSFS installation is on it's own WD 1 TB NVME drive, should I just delete everything on that drive except the community & official folders then once installed on my new motherboard install MSFS from the Microsoft Store and point the installation towards that drive?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Unless you have really terrible internet, just reinstall.  I recently reinstalled just to "clean house" and other than the obvious time consuming download, it is simple.  I use it as a time to clean out add-ons that I never use and/or may have stopped being updated. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Thx guys for such quick replies.  Since I am installing into one of the newer M2 SSDs a simple swap out of old PC into the new is not an option.  Think I will first just copy over the Offical and Community folders and see what happens.  The disk drive will be the same letter.  As some of you said MSFS will do the rest.  If there's issue I will then just re-download the whole shebang.  Not a big deal.  

Really looking forward to see how the new girl performs! 😁 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

2 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Thx guys for such quick replies.  Since I am installing into one of the newer M2 SSDs a simple swap out of old PC into the new is not an option.  Think I will first just copy over the Offical and Community folders and see what happens.  The disk drive will be the same letter.  As some of you said MSFS will do the rest.  If there's issue I will then just re-download the whole shebang.  Not a big deal.  

Really looking forward to see how the new girl performs! 😁 

Let me know what pain you run into so I can be prepared lol

I am hoping that it will be straight forward as I will be moving the NVME drive to the new motherboard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

3 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Looks like some good advice here,

I will be installing a new CPU/motherboard/RAM this weekend. My MSFS installation is on it's own WD 1 TB NVME drive, should I just delete everything on that drive except the community & official folders then once installed on my new motherboard install MSFS from the Microsoft Store and point the installation towards that drive?

Thanks in advance

Richard

1) Move the community and official folders to another folder (preferable on the same SSD, that'll be quicker). 

2) Delete MSFS from either Steam menu or Microsoft store. 

3) Move the community and official folders back to where you want the sim installed (I've got it set for D:\MSFS).

4) Reinstall MSFS. Important: Choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders. Installing the sim from should only be ~1Gb.

5) When starting the sim for the first time, it might ask for a folder to install some updates. Choose the folder that you installed the sim to. It will do some syncing during first load, but once you reach the main menu, everything should be there. 

Graphics settings might have to be adjusted, like choosing full screen etc, but all the controller settings is linked to your Xbox account. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”