Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Scenery comparison WU10 KAVX vs ORBX KAVX

6 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

You have both installed at the same time in the second image. Was that intentional?

Hah! well spotted. I didn't notice myself until you pointed it out. I'm sure the OP hasn't got a clue he did that. LOL!

And it seems even though you've pointed it out hardly anyone else has clues in either.

I'll spell it out!

Image 1 is WU10 update.

Image 2 is WU10 superimposed over the orbx version!

This is what happens when you have 2 version of the same airport installed at the same time.

Wake up retards! LOL!

Edited by FBW737

What makes it even more important is the supposed "Orbx"  image is actually at least 75%  Asobo with the Asobo textures and tower laid over the top and obscuring the Orbx work,

Only about 25% of the photo is actually the Orbx product (and most of that is the carpark ) so of course it is going to look very similar to the "Asobo" image, Very little of the terminal in the "Orbx" image is actually the Orbx product.

A fair comparison would be three photos from the same perspective all close enough to see the textures, one real life, one Asobo, one Orbx (without the Asobo laid on top).

Perhaps the topic title should be changed to 
Scenery comparison WU10 KAVX vs ORBX KAVX with WU10 KAVX overlaid.

8 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

You have both installed at the same time in the second image. Was that intentional?

No. Good catch. Thank you. How does one remove the default scenery for KAVX without removing other improvements in other areas? 

Edited by bofhlusr

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

One pays a visit to the Content Manager and removes the "hand-crafted" airport in question.

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

One pays a visit to the Content Manager and removes the "hand-crafted" airport in question.

I'm not seeing it. 😞

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I have both and looked over each very carefully to see the differences. The WU10 version of the airport is more accurate based on several visits I have actually made to the real airport. The downside to using that version is that the other bays or ports on the island are not accurately detailed, whereas with the Orbx version you get the entire island nicely detailed. And with the Osobo version, part of the mesh to the southeast of the airport has some darker coloration which kind of stands out. I tried disabling just the airport in the Orbx version and using the asobo version of the airport, and it works pretty well, but the transition from the ramp to the north taxiway ends up having a slope to it. So I've decided to go with the Orbx version and disabled the Osobo version through the content manager, that way I have the entire island nicely detailed.

3 minutes ago, monica6211 said:

I have both and looked over each very carefully to see the differences. The WU10 version of the airport is more accurate based on several visits I have actually made to the real airport. The downside to using that version is that the other bays or ports on the island are not accurately detailed, whereas with the Orbx version you get the entire island nicely detailed. And with the Osobo version, part of the mesh to the southeast of the airport has some darker coloration which kind of stands out. I tried disabling just the airport in the Orbx version and using the asobo version of the airport, and it works pretty well, but the transition from the ramp to the north taxiway ends up having a slope to it. So I've decided to go with the Orbx version and disabled the Osobo version through the content manager, that way I have the entire island nicely detailed.

I agree. But what did you remove in the Content Manager to disable the Asobo version?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I disabled the airport.bgl file in the \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\orbx-airport-kavx-catalina\scenery\orbx\kavx folder.

11 minutes ago, monica6211 said:

I disabled the airport.bgl file in the \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\orbx-airport-kavx-catalina\scenery\orbx\kavx folder.

Thank you. But, that disables the Orbx version instead of the Asobo version? 

I'm still at a loss on how to disable the Asobo version in the MSFS Steam version when the ORBX version is installed.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Do this:

1. Go to Content Manager -> Search for KAVX (It will be inside WU X) -> Click files button -> Delete KAVX by Microsoft (602 MB)

2. Restart MSFS

• Like 1

These images should help. 
Untitled.jpg

Result
1.jpg

I notice that someone has mis-spelt Catalina in the Orbx version.

I gather that an airport can be disabled by editing the Content.xml file from this:

<Package name="microsoft-airport-kavx-catalina" active="true"/>

to this:

<Package name="microsoft-airport-kavx-catalina" active="false"/>

However, in this case, it makes no sense at all to have both installed, as they are, as your screenshot clearly shows, completely incompatible.

Upload_Orbx%20KAVX.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Reader
  • Like 2

Thank you all.

Here's version 2 of the original post plus additional info on how to land at this nice "Airport in the Sky".

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Video with instructions on how to land at the airport in real life; and simulate and practice a simulated landing at a carrier. 🙂

How to Land at Catalina Airport KAVX - YouTube

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1