Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

The Wide World of MSFS

My time in flight sims leading to MSFS was pretty limited; I messed around in FS98 at my friend's house as a kid, but I was more interested in "seeing" the world and getting the sensation of traveling to far away places than I was in aviation.

When MSFS was announced, I was ecstatic. I've traveled all over the place and at least gotten a sense of places in a way I wouldn't have otherwise. And the side effect of spending all of this time flying is that I'm more and more interested in aviation. I swore I'd never buy 3rd party planes or fly multi-hour flights or create flight plans or etc., etc., etc., and as I type this I'm a little over halfway through my IFR flight from LXGB-LIRJ in one of many new planes in my hangar. Funny the way these things feed on each other. Almost every flight gives me truly thrilling moments.

• Like 3

I remember people dreaming about streaming satellite imagery for the world around the time FSX bit the dust. We usually dismissed it with ‘Sigh, unlikely in my lifetime’ type comments, but waddya know?! We got it.

I think the slogan for FSX was ‘Where do you want to go today?’ or something like that, to which my response was usually ‘Nowhere outside Orbx scenery.’ Feels like we’ve finally got what the franchise promised, or pretty near.

• Like 8

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

20 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

My daughter asked me last night if I had ever flown to Bali in the sim, and I told her I had no idea where it was and would look it up when I got home.

Ha this is great! Welcome - I live in Bali AND visit your part of the world (Atlanta) frequently - both totally different places! Enjoy your flights - thanks for visiting!

• Like 2

Me and the wife have just booked our 14th holiday to the Canary Islands (Lanzarote this time), so obviously we love the area, and I can vouch that it is very realistic in the sim, as I actually use it for spotting new and interesting places to visit.  The volcanic parts are done very well in particular, especially mount Teide on Tenerife - worth a fly round!

We do go to lots of other places, but for the food, people, climate, restaurants and bars, it is superb.  Obviously for the Brits it is GMT as well, so no need to reset the watch!  :smile:

I use MSFS a lot for this kind of thing (potential holiday destinations), just lately with Skiathos, and Montenegro (another beautiful place).

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I'm currently flying the 1934 MacRobertson air race route in Just Flight's Piper Arrow, and passed over Bali a couple of days ago, on the leg from Batavia (now Jakarta) to Lombok. The whole trip so far has given me a sense of having travelled, and I've looked up the history of many of the places I've visited. I can't imagine doing a trip of this length in P3D or FSX, and still being interested in what I see below. The joy of MSFS far outweighs its bugs and shortcomings, and has completely revived my enthusiasm for flight simming.

• Like 2

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

21 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

WICC to WADD

just doing this in the Fenix, thanks a lot for this suggestion, first flight after being absent from MSFS due to vacation and travel

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

2 minutes ago, DAD said:

just doing this in the Fenix, thanks a lot for this suggestion, first flight after being absent from MSFS due to vacation and travel

MY VA has a whole bunch of flights in that area, I just go from airport to another. So far all the airports look pretty good. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

44 minutes ago, svallott said:

Lanzarote, Fuerte ventura  are Spain ....

They are two of the Canary Islands, which are Spanish.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

22 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

MSFS amazes me, every time I take off. One could fly every day for the rest of their life, and never see even a small percentage of the airports in this simulator. 

and not just the unknown airports and what you see during approach. Last month I flew from Bilbao to Barcelona in a Cessna 172 and made a stop in Zaragoza only to find out that when 'visiting' the city with the drone camera, there is an incredible cathedral there (El Pilar). Very impressive touristic attraction, especially in VR. So I feel I am on holiday sometimes and LEARN a few things as well. One can try to learn where countries, mountains, lakes, cities are in the world but having been there, virtually, helps remembering those things much better. It has happened to me I would see some footage of a square or street on television and recognize everything as though i'd actually been there. Some folk old enough will notice that sometimes one wonders whether an image in memory was from a dream or an actual visit that happened in the past.

And since MSFS has (almost) the whole planet to explore i couldn't care less to upgrade scenery of the old time classics like, for instance, an Innsbruck approach. I bet there are dozens if not hundreds of spectacular places like that yet to be discovered by the simmer.

Edited by avhpilot
  • Like 2

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

48 minutes ago, DAD said:

here are a couple of more flights in that area. 

WADD    WARR

WARR    WIII

WIII       WIPP

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Indonesia is a beautiful country to explore. I'm sure that there will be a WU or some payware add-on coming. It's too beautiful to ignore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 minutes ago, CFIJose said:

Indonesia is a beautiful country to explore. I'm sure that there will be a WU or some payware add-on coming. It's too beautiful to ignore.

Oh yes, if all the Indonesian islands or extending further out to include that whole https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_Archipelago area were updated in a WU that would be amazing, as there are some stunning lush landscapes there to fly over and through (jungles, volcanoes, cliffs, canyons, beaches, water masks galore, and all the combinations of). I fear though detailed data either doesn't exist or are hard to come by, but Jorg says it's all about the data that decides WUs and he'll keep chasing it.. here's hoping some come his way from this part of the world.

• Like 6

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD