Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FSX has just about done me in----

>>prime time and probably never will be. I just want to fly. >>Good thing this is the FSX forum... :-hah >>Same here! All I want to do is "sim" fly. Well, at least when>sitting at the CPU!. The mountain west, MegaScenery Hawaii,>and so on. All great looking flight! Amazing you still have time to fly! I figured you'd spend all your time cheerleading FS-X and posting screenshots. ;-)Also figured that the cheerleading costs you so much time you never got to try SP1 and tileproxy.You owe it to yourself to try tileproxy. It realy fits your FS-X flying and we can get a few new screenshots. (Always like your screenshots just keep up the variation)

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

I just don't recall having that many issues with FS8 or FS9. I started all this in about 2002 with CFS3 (and knew absolutely nothing about computers or flightsims) and migrated in mid 2003 to FS8 and went to FS9 when it first appeared. But I was so new to simming my mouth hung open in disbelief all the time regardless of what was on the screen!!! It was only after I started reading the AVSIM forums, a couple years ago, that I started to get picky! You guys wrecked it for me! Heck, I could'a stayed ignorant and happy! I'm still a long way from being computer savy though. When some of you folks start going back and forth I'm still in the weeds!Bruce

That is completely wrong. FS2002 was considered a breath of fresh air, compared to the dog that was FS2000.This is a completely new situation. Most people could get decent performance with FS2002, running on period hardware. FSX is quite different.You recently wrote: "Yeah, sometimes it hangs a really long time after selecting a plane or hitting Fly Now. And sometimes it crashes immediately after entering "the plane" at busy airports while all the jetways swing into action. And sometimes while I'm still on the ground it'll crash if I change views. And sometimes when I change views, the screen turns into multi-colored static, locks, then crashes. And a whole slew of texture oddities when I change views while in flight, mainly texture pop-in when going from the cockpit to external."Very few people said that in November 2001! :-lol

>Oh, and thanks for the thoughtful and very insightful>suggestion!!At the risk of going even further out on a limb, it seems to me that, for more than a few here, one of the main benefits of FSX is "snob appeal" -- being able to say "I have a machine that will run FSX 'smooth as silk'...and you, like most people, don't!":-rollI'm not saying that FSX isn't a nice upgrade, but it strikes me that some people on this board have made it into a test as to whether you're worthy to join their elite group (or "to be let into the clubhouse," in eight-year-old-boy mentality -- the one with the sign reading "no gurlz or AMD userz alowed" :-lol ). A good sign of such a mentality, to me, is when someone asks for help in configuring their not-exactly-top-of-the-line computer to run FSX more smoothly, and "club members" basically laugh them off with "you expect to run it on that machine?" and tell them to throw their computer out and empty their bank account on a new one. Only then will they deserve to run FSX like the Big Boys in the clubhouse.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Sorry I forgot to reply to this----I tried the latest drivers and they didn't seem to make much difference. Then I read a thread here that touted an earlier edition driver for the X850XT (I think Cruachan posted this) and it was backed up by several others who swear by it so I switched to it and it seems to be working well. My FPS isn't a major problem, nor is stutters, it's just the darn blurries!! I guess a super multi core CPU somewhere down stream will be the answer.

Guest radivil

>That is completely wrong :-lol. FS2002 was considered a>breath of fresh air, compared to the dog that was FS2000.>>This is a completely new situation. Most people could get>decent performance with FS2002, running on period hardware. >FSX is quite different.I don't remember this at all. I remember thousands upon thousands of people complaining about blurries and how there would never be a patch to fix its myriad flaws.I even specifically remember a few threads arguing whether or not 12-13 fps was smooth enough to actually land a plane because that was the best a lot of people could manage.And now that I'm actually thinking about it, I had a lot of the same problems with FS2k2 that I have with FSX. Aircraft textures needing a second to pop in, KORD being off limits, and so on.

You are very mistaken. FS2002 wasn't perfect, but it didn't receive nearly as much criticism as FSX.

Guest radivil

>You are very mistaken. FS2002 wasn't perfect, but it didn't>receive nearly as much criticism as FSX.I disagree, because I only remember mountains of negatives. But I guess there's nothing we can do about that.

>At the risk of going even further out on a limb, it seems to>me that, for more than a few here, one of the main benefits of>FSX is "snob appeal" -- being able to say "I have a>machine that will run FSX 'smooth as silk'...and you,>like most people, don't!">Nope.......It appears that my higher end "mid-grade" machine, runs FSX with less difficulty than some high end units. I got this CPU with the release of FSX; and it was an upgrade after five years with the old one. But whatever, as simmers have been listing high end specs for years and years...L.AdamsonAthlon 3800+/2Gig/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/1600*1200*32

>>You are very mistaken. FS2002 wasn't perfect, but it>didn't>>receive nearly as much criticism as FSX.>>I disagree, because I only remember mountains of negatives. >But I guess there's nothing we can do about that.FS2000 had the morphing problem, but it was a radical departure from FS98. FS98 might have been great on frame rates, but suffered from a lack of realistic databases.It was a flat world with unauthentic topography that limited thousands of high altitude airports. They simply didn't exist in the FS98 world. The flight models were truly on rails, at a time that Microsoft's CFS2 flight models were running circles around them.FS2000 brought with it, the Jeppeson databases for topography, navigation, and airports. The airport listings increased by the thousands. And the Grand Canyon now had depth, instead of just a blue line painted on a flat surface.Flight modeling increased in realism significantly, and we got working virtual cockpits as well as refinements in animation.However, I now see complaints with FSX in the same vain as they were with FS2000. MS ups the bar with an even rounder world, improved simulation of the surrounding air, far improved texture capability that extends from the ground as well as to the exteriors and cockpits.But just as with the change from FS98 to FS2000, some are just content to stay with the old, and complain of the new...As to myself, I somewhat stay with parts the old, while realizing the great new features of the new; just as I did with FS2000; instead of simply dismissing the product as a whole.L.Adamson

>>Amazing you still have time to fly! I figured you'd spend all>your time cheerleading FS-X and posting screenshots. ;-)>>Also figured that the cheerleading costs you so much time you>never got to try SP1 and tileproxy.>>You owe it to yourself to try tileproxy. It realy fits your>FS-X flying and we can get a few new screenshots. (Always like>your screenshots just keep up the variation)After I done painting the plane. It's taking hundreds of hours. A half hour of simming here and there, and the forums are a restful diversion......At least until I read some of the reply/postings; even though they are mild compared to a few months back.L.Adamson

Guest heinzwerner

Hi Scott,My first contact to flying Aircrafts was my military time in the beginning of the 80ths. I worked for one and a half year as Dispatcher on an military airport and so I often had the chance to fly with smaller and larger (most military) Aircrafts caused by my early knowledge on Flightplans with unused Passenger seats and the friendly support of many military pilots to invite me on their flights. Another contact for me was to make and License for Hanggliders at my student time. Meanwhile mostly my Business eats my time and so the Simulator is stays as my remaining hobby for my essential wishes to fly. In former years I designed some Aircrafts and a Scenery of a german military Airport but actual there is movement to FSX-tools w/o successful public knowledge on all new required technics and tools. Maybe next year there may be a little progress on it and I would like to enjoy again to design for the Simulator. But for the actual and a little frustrating period of Simulator enjoyment I re-discovered another very old Hobby of me. I bougth a small Motorcycle for very cheap money (A chopper with only 15 hourse powers!) and now I'm enjoying cruisin' (or flyin'?) on the roads if the Simulator does not enjoy me. My computer will remain - as it is - until next Year and so I'm also looking forward as next for the DX-10 patch. This is not the first time, where a new Simulator version frustrates the simmers for a while (like I. E. FS4 or FS2000) . And so I'm looking optimistic into the Future. Also best to you and the other Readers here, Heinz-Werner

>It appears that my higher end "mid-grade" machine, runs FSX>with less difficulty than some high end units. I got this CPU>with the release of FSX; and it was an upgrade after five>years with the old one. >>But whatever, as simmers have been listing high end specs for>years and years...>>L.Adamson>Athlon 3800+/2Gig/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/1600*1200*32Interesting...your system is very similar to mine (mine only differs in a X1600 instead of your 7600, and a smaller monitor), and, while mine runs FSX servicably, the performance is nothing to write home about. (FPS of 25-30 aloft, 10-15 or so at places like KSEA, with the generic 172 and middling settings.)In general, it seems like there is a real variance in range of performance with FSX that isn't purely ascribable to hardware quality. I wonder if there isn't some sort of magic factor that we've all been overlooking so far.And, BTW, I never considered you to be one of the "you don't deserve to be in our clubhouse" FSX a really excited user I wrote about.

James David Walley

Heinz-Werner - That's interesting. We both have similar hobbies. I have been riding motorcycles for about 40 years. Here's a picture from a recent trip. I have made 3 videos of recent trips - 2 to Texas and 1 to the Black Hills in South Dakota. The pictures are in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota. You can download and view the latest trip here if you would like to see it.http://www.mediafire.com/?b5eo4ej2zydYes, FSX will ultimately mature into an excellent sim I'm sure. In the mean time we can work on the puzzel and fly FS9!Scott

>Considering what you want to do, I'd stick with FS9 also. I've>now purchased six FS9 addons since installing FSX. And about>the same amount for FSX.You continue to purchase add-ons for FS9, even though, according to a previous post of yours, if forced to go back to FS9, you'd rather "give up simming entirely"...???:-hmmm

James David Walley