Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

When I came back to MSFS after 5 months off the first thing I noticed was the beautiful clouds.

52161138889_0dd3c86ab7_h.jpg

52161139159_bdb4faa220_h.jpg

52159880917_a0c6188d19_h.jpg

• Like 14

There are the best in any flightsim ever, but there are only cumulus clouds represented in the sim right now or slight variations of them. 

In reality there are many more cloud types dependent on altitude.

High clouds Cirrus

Cirrostratus

Cirrocumulus

Middle clouds Altostratus

Altocumulus

Low clouds Stratus

Stratocumulus

Nimbostratus

Clouds with vertical development Cumulus

Cumulonimbus

It is just a lazy implementation of clouds at this point. MSFS/Asobo did many things right, but other things not so much....

• Like 20

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

3 minutes ago, Silicus said:

There are the best in any flightsim ever, but there are only cumulus clouds represented in the sim right now or slight variations of them. 

In reality there are many more cloud types dependent on altitude.

High clouds Cirrus

Cirrostratus

Cirrocumulus

Middle clouds Altostratus

Altocumulus

Low clouds Stratus

Stratocumulus

Nimbostratus

Clouds with vertical development Cumulus

Cumulonimbus

It is just a lazy implementation of clouds at this point. MSFS/Asobo did many things right, but other things not so much....

+1

I dont understand how at this time we only have cumulus clouds. This detracts a lot from the experience.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Juan Ramos

Depending on lightning conditions my clouds can be still very pixelated and grainy. Is it just me? 

Edited by spitzer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Uygar

Best Regards

@Car147 I hid your post since you tried to stir the pot with your comment.

Lets keep it on topic folks.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

IL-2 Sturmovik has really nice clouds now, and surprisingly nice rain squall effect.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

@Car147 I hid your post since you tried to stir the pot with your comment.

Lets keep it on topic folks.

Thanks, hopefully you will do the same when the usual crowd roll in to disrupt MSFS threads.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

They do look gorgeous, but could look even more gorgeous with a variety of cloud types implemented.  Hopefully we get there eventually.  

• Like 5

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Silicus said:

I agree the clouds definitely need a huge variety improvement (and hope someday we'll get them), but what makes you blame laziness? 

19 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Thanks, hopefully you will do the same when the usual crowd roll in to disrupt MSFS threads.

We try but none of us are on here 24/7. Unfortunately lately a lot of topics quickly get skewed into off topic arguments.

What we shouldn’t do is bait them into it, like what you did with your comment that I hid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Clouds are the one thing I set permanently on Ultra.

I don't think the team at Asobo were lazy at all. I think some people may underestimate the difficulty of creating such a complex, unpredictable, and dynamic weather system. I mean, there are super computers dedicated to weather. It stands to reason that to do anything further with clouds is just asking for trouble in the form of melting PC's. I think what they achieved with MSFS is nothing short of remarkable.

I get that people want more, bigger, better, and badder things, but we're limited by technology at the moment. Calling a talented team of developers "lazy," I think is inaccurate, to say the least.

• Like 21
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

Clouds are the one thing I set permanently on Ultra.

I don't think the team at Asobo were lazy at all. I think some people may underestimate the difficulty of creating such a complex, unpredictable, and dynamic weather system. I mean, there are super computers dedicated to weather. It stands to reason that to do anything further with clouds is just asking for trouble in the form of melting PC's. 

Supercomputers are used for the ultra complex weather calculations which input high amounts of data and variables.  Our PCs don’t need anywhere near that horsepower.  We just need the output data to display it on our screens.

• Like 2

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Just a quick question, and perhaps some here have tried it... the Level D training simulators that pilots use, are the graphics as good as we have in MSFS or are they generic but accurate? From watching YouTube vidoes they seem to be not so crisp..perhaps not needed as the flight model is what matters? Any ideas?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

4 minutes ago, vonduck said:

Just a quick question, and perhaps some here have tried it... the Level D training simulators that pilots use, are the graphics as good as we have in MSFS or are they generic but accurate? From watching YouTube vidoes they seem to be not so crisp..perhaps not needed as the flight model is what matters? Any ideas?

The Graphics in Level D sims are nowhere near as good as in MSFS. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS