Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

Just now, MrBitstFlyer said:

RexWeatherforce has 'dynamic' presets.  For example, you can choose 'approaching cold front' where the weather starts off clear, but over time the weather worsens until it rains.

Ah ok thanks, I'm not gonna pay for a mod for it though, just merely contemplating the idea should the Live Weather not suit me or something!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

13 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

I challenge anyone to try and re-create these Release version upper-level clouds in the current build. I honestly want to know how it's done now.

spacer.png

I have a weather theme designed for SU9 but I can't share it because its trapped in the XBox cloud wherever that is; but I can share the theme its derived from and you can adjust as needed if you want it.  It produces the following pics but only in mountainous areas like this is San Fransisco and Mt Fuji :  You'll notice that the high clouds in your image are blurry squarish puffs - people complained so they refined them a bit.  My theme only produces two layers.  Adjust the density of the middle and top layer iirc

eucNalj.png

nhjr7OB.png

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="WeatherPreset" version="1,4">
    <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
    <WeatherPreset.Preset>
        <Name>20220220_lowsparsewithhighocastb</Name>
        <Image>weather/presets/clear_sky.jpg</Image>
        <Icon>weather/presets/clear_sky.svg</Icon>
        <LayeredImage>weather/presets/clear_sky_layer.png</LayeredImage>
        <IsAltitudeAMGL>True</IsAltitudeAMGL>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="5.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerCoverage Value="0.023" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerCoverage>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="2500.000" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="3688.080" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerCoverage Value="0.949" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerCoverage>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="6764.563" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="6906.768" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="0.183" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerCoverage Value="0.903" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerCoverage>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="6421.357" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="6906.768" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="0.223" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <WindLayer>
            <WindLayerAltitude Value="0.000" Unit="m">
            </WindLayerAltitude>
            <WindLayerAngle Value="279.000" Unit="degrees">
            </WindLayerAngle>
            <WindLayerSpeed Value="17.250" Unit="knts">
            </WindLayerSpeed>
        </WindLayer>
        <MSLPressure Value="101325.000" Unit="pa">
        </MSLPressure>
        <MSLTemperature Value="288.150" Unit="k">
        </MSLTemperature>
        <AerosolDensity Value="1.000" Unit="m">
        </AerosolDensity>
        <Pollution Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
        </Pollution>
        <Precipitations Value="0.000" Unit="mm/h">
        </Precipitations>
        <SnowCover Value="0.000" Unit="m">
        </SnowCover>
        <ThunderstormIntensity Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
        </ThunderstormIntensity>
    </WeatherPreset.Preset>
</SimBase.Document>

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

12 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

No need to read again - you stated the only way to get these cloud types was by using presets or manually configured weather. I wanted to make it clear RexWeatherforce creates other cloud types with live weather. 

Well then you read wrong I'm afraid... my sentence "As the clouds variety problem is only when using live weather, and given that better/more cloud variety can be currently had with manual weather and presets" does not therefore imply that manually configured weather or presets are the *only* way to get more clouds variety 🙂 .. Yes we all know what Rex does. If you got confused by the "only" in that sentence I was saying that the current problem is *only* confined to the live weather scenario.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I have a weather theme designed for SU9 (...)

Seer that looks amazing! 

Just proves how once we get 2 more cloud types on the base live weather this game will look breathtaking!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Because of the XBox I still see it not happening that clouds/cloudtypes/cloudlayers will be improved….

But I would gladly be proven wrong by Asobo.

And my interest only goes to Live Weather. Static weather I have left way behind me. I also want Live AC traffic.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

26 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

but then that's going to be a problem for Rex too isn't it.

You couldn't have made it plainer than that. There's a difference between listening to respond and listening to understand lol. If I had to believe these guys, I would start saying the horizon seen through objects bug was introduced to make xbox work lol. MS introduced MEATR injection and it borked their live weather. Simple as that. Like you said, if this was something introduced to make the Xbox version work, REX should not be able to do what it does. I suspect the issue has something to do with the METAR and Meteoblue integration not playing nicely with each other. Again, that's just my guess.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, spitzer said:

Now Ultra clouds settings is equal to medium clouds settings before xbox release(su5). 

Also Pixelated and grainy clouds have begun with this su5 update. 

Unless Xbox and pc versions seperates completely we wont be able to see any further improvement graphics wise. 

I wonder if DX12 might change that calculus.  Perhaps w/ the DX12 update we will greater access to higher VRAM capacity so another level over Ultra might be implemented, perhaps Extreme, to improve in particular nearfield display of clouds and let those w/ the hardware to render it do so.  I certainly have plenty of GPU headroom to exploit if I keep the Render Scale at 100 or 110.  Nearfield clouds can be downright fugly at times now, too blurry, and just not optimal at all.  From a distance clouds often look quite decent but the closer you get the worse they can look.  

So, we have the hardware, they just need to improve the pathway to exploit it.  I see absolutely no reason why Asobo can't ramp up the complexity/quality w/o hurting Xbox users--they simply use the slider setting they can process, no big deal.  Same same for PC users w/ less than recent hardware they use the slider level they can process.  Why it hasn't happen yet, is the main puzzle.  I can imagine a couple of possible explanations including technically not possible because of the cloud rendering engine they're using.  I do agree it was better pre SU5.   It's a bit hard to fully characterize succinctly because some parts of weather rendering has improved.  It's the cloud rendering quality, that has deteriorated quite markedly IMO.  There is massive room for improvement, and we can anticipate increasing levels of hardware capability during MSFS' purported service life.  This is why I'm confident Asobo will get there w/ the weather and cloud depiction, over time.  I hope they put mega resources on this!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

35 minutes ago, Krakin said:

You couldn't have made it plainer than that. There's a difference between listening to respond and listening to understand lol. If I had to believe these guys, I would start saying the horizon seen through objects bug was introduced to make xbox work lol. MS introduced MEATR injection and it borked their live weather. Simple as that. Like you said, if this was something introduced to make the Xbox version work, REX should not be able to do what it does. I suspect the issue has something to do with the METAR and Meteoblue integration not playing nicely with each other. Again, that's just my guess.

Lol, right? This XBox-is-the-cause-of-all-evil assuming presuming and speculating is all well and good, but it's just that, not *fact* unless stated clearly by MS/Asobo. And for something like clouds variety or cirrus being not rendered as good as before, ya that's not a big ticket item at all in terms of impact on performance.. even if MS/Asobo were to try and scale something back to cater to the XBox, there are other heavy hitting areas for that.

And it's not up to MS/Asobo to "prove" that things not are being compromised due to XBox 🙂... As already seen, outside of cirrus maybe being not as good as before, the core MSFS engine is capable of a variety of clouds/layers/etc. So it's their rendition in live weather that needs fixing, and we'll see what fixes/improvements come >= SU10 for this.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

You did not recreate the cirro-stratus shown. Create those and post again.

You say this...

spacer.png

looks like this...

14 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

I challenge anyone to try and re-create these Release version upper-level clouds in the current build. I honestly want to know how it's done now.

spacer.png

... and not like this?:

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

spacer.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

You say this...

looks like this...

... and not like this?:

I think his high altitudes are closer to textbook cirro-stratus though. The ones in your link and bottom picture look more cirro-cumulus to me.

iAlert.com_Cloud_Type_poster.jpg

https://studycorgi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/137742_1.jpg

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ec2523d0-1881-4288-a0bb-fc8ff14503be/df4d03d-df7df172-b005-40f1-a666-6c2224beb0a0.jpg/v1/fill/w_1280,h_856,q_75,strp/cirrostratus_cloud_by_utico_df4d03d-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9ODU2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZWMyNTIzZDAtMTg4MS00Mjg4LWEwYmItZmM4ZmYxNDUwM2JlXC9kZjRkMDNkLWRmN2RmMTcyLWIwMDUtNDBmMS1hNjY2LTZjMjIyNGJlYjBhMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Ro6oI7azBjWeJGDVKboB4Qr9wFohlxfxC-nKbGwhGM8

Remember, the only cloud type we have in the sim is really just cumulus. Sometimes it's hamfisted to look like other types of cumulus clouds, which is really what I see in your examples.

I should note that at my Aeronautical University I passed my Aviation Weather class with a C. Take with salt.

Edited by WestAir
My spelling is just as bad as my Aviation Weather, haha

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 hours ago, spitzer said:

Also Pixelated and grainy clouds have begun with this su5 update.

I first noticed them shortly after release. These screenshots are from November and December 2020.

EhAOzcL.jpg

KWUYjS9.jpg

66FPVVe.jpg

Y0wbuwq.jpg

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

I was saying that the current problem is *only* confined to the live weather scenario.

Yes, I know. I wanted to mention Rex WeatherForce does not have this problem with its own live weather - it is only MSFS live weather with the problem.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

You say this...

I say the only accurate cloud type in MSFS live weather is Cumulus. 

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

I think his high altitudes are closer to textbook cirro-stratus though. The ones in your link and bottom picture look more cirro-cumulus to me.

iAlert.com_Cloud_Type_poster.jpg

https://studycorgi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/137742_1.jpg

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ec2523d0-1881-4288-a0bb-fc8ff14503be/df4d03d-df7df172-b005-40f1-a666-6c2224beb0a0.jpg/v1/fill/w_1280,h_856,q_75,strp/cirrostratus_cloud_by_utico_df4d03d-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9ODU2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZWMyNTIzZDAtMTg4MS00Mjg4LWEwYmItZmM4ZmYxNDUwM2JlXC9kZjRkMDNkLWRmN2RmMTcyLWIwMDUtNDBmMS1hNjY2LTZjMjIyNGJlYjBhMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Ro6oI7azBjWeJGDVKboB4Qr9wFohlxfxC-nKbGwhGM8

Remember, the only cloud type we have in the sim is really just cumulus. Sometimes it's hamfisted to look like other types of cumulus clouds, which is really what I see in your examples.

I should note that at my Aeronautical University I passed my Aviation Weather class with a C. Take with salt.

Rex Alto Cumulus

KLGA-REX-1.png

Live weather's attempt at the same/time location.

MSFS-KLGA-1.png

Rex Broken layer of cumulus with Cirro-stratus layer

REX-KJFK-Broken.png

Live weather's attempt same time/location

MS-KJFK-Broken.png

Rex scattered cumulus with Alto-stratus layer

Anchorage-REX2.png

Live weather at the same time/location.

Anchorage-MS.png

Rex stratus layer

Rex-Overcast.png

Live weather same time/location

MSFS-Overcast.png

The biggest positive from these images is that MSFS is capable of depicting a much better sky. Considering REX don't have a weather sdk to use, they have done a remarkable job with live weather. Whatever method they have used, Asobo should take note.

My screenshots demonstrate Asobo is using cumulus for everything. If I was in charge of the weather, I would get REX on board as a partner to get around any licensing issues.

REX has no SDK access to weather so they are limited to a global weather model. Imagine what Rex could do with access to the weather!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Yes, I know. I wanted to mention Rex WeatherForce does not have this problem with its own live weather - it is only MSFS live weather with the problem.

And this debunks your little xbox theory

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.