Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

2 minutes ago, Krakin said:

And this debunks your little xbox theory

What Xbox theory?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I do like the REX layers, but as someone coming from prior platform REX4, Sky Force 3D,Active Sky Next etc etc. 

I just don't see myself buying into the whole multiple external weather injection products hustle again with this new sim. I'll wait for MS/Asobo to eventually get the weather system polished more.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

22 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Considering REX don't have a weather sdk to use, they have done a remarkable job with live weather. Whatever method they have used, Asobo should take note.

REX has no SDK access to weather so they are limited to a global weather model. Imagine what Rex could do with access to the weather!

But this presupposes Asobo doesn't know how to do this, versus they are working on other areas at the moment and haven't allocated the resources to nail it yet.  I wouldn't venture a guess as to which it is.  That REX could take a totally new volumetric engine to them (presumably) and get that out of it does bode well I agree.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

ive weather's attempt same time/location

MS-KJFK-Broken.png

That is just ... what is that? Something is really off in these "newer" (post XBOX and METAR implementation) style clouds. Can't put my finger on it but it's like scaling/size/excess transparency and the shapes. Also the way they are just scattered about just does not look... realistic at all.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

Can't put my finger on it but it's like scaling/size/excess transparency and the shapes. Also the way they are just scattered about just does not look... realistic at all.

Honestly, real clouds often don't look very realistic....

I can just imagine what people would say if msfs coughed up some of these...

qWbRFT.jpg

lLCdhq.jpg

5Xc9TB.jpg

yIAGEy.jpg

ELYTmr.jpg

• Like 6

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Personally I have to agree that the skies / cloudscapes just don't look as convincing as they used to. I really notice the lack of layers and flatter cloud-types, and rarely experience the wow-factor that I used to get regularly in the early builds. Still keeping optimistic though, as clearly the engine is still capable of rendering convincing / complex skies and hopefully 3PDs are finding out more about what they can do to crowbar global weather into a dynamic preset if Asobo can't find a way to keep us all happy. Quite interested in the silence from HiFi etc.

One thing I don't see being talked about enough (imho) is the lack of humidity / aerosol in Live weather. This endless infinite visibility (apart from the odd metar-haze (actually very-well depicted)) is a real problem for me.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

9 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Personally I have to agree that the skies / cloudscapes just don't look as convincing as they used to. I really notice the lack of layers and flatter cloud-types, and rarely experience the wow-factor that I used to get regularly in the early builds. Still keeping optimistic though, as clearly the engine is still capable of rendering convincing / complex skies and hopefully 3PDs are finding out more about what they can do to crowbar global weather into a dynamic preset if Asobo can't find a way to keep us all happy. Quite interested in the silence from HiFi etc.

One thing I don't see being talked about enough (imho) is the lack of humidity / aerosol in Live weather. This endless infinite visibility (apart from the odd metar-haze (actually very-well depicted)) is a real problem for me.

Do you use any presets? Or only live?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

17 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I wonder if they overreacted to some loud complaints I remember a couple of SUs back, when folks felt it was too hazy/misty. But then again I think all this goes back to the original sin.. the botched job they did when they first integrated METAR, which reduced the influence of the beautiful global weather simulation/interpolation that was there before based solely on Meteoblue. If they can find a better way to handle transitions and blending with METAR and Meteoblue global weather simulation, or bias it more towards Meteoblue outside of the specific METAR area confines, that will be good... I suspect they are thinking about all this and more in trying to improve live weather >= SU10.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

25 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Do you use any presets? Or only live?

I'm cursed with a psychology that will only be at rest in Live. I've seen some stunning results in some of the presets, downloaded several from .to to check them out, but one of my private immersion criteria is live weather. Trust me, I irritate myself, regularly.

• Like 5

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

15 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

I suspect they are thinking about all this and more in trying to improve live weather >= SU10.

I'm sure it's somewhere on their list, and I agree the clouds are a higher priority so I'm not making too much of a fuss about it right now...

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 2:27 PM, KERNEL32 said:

No.  Don't get me started. Easier to point you to the official forums, where a vast majority agree they need a LOT of work still.

It is, in fact, possible to simultaneously be the best ever, and still need a lot of work. 😉

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Rex WeatherForce has an aerosol feature to vary the visibility and it does this very well.

I recently stuck with Live Weather for a week, but apart from the local nature of the weather, I really missed the aerosol and cloud depiction of REX WeatherForce.  I used to fly GA only and the FPS hit can be too much for some, but now I'm flying just the latest airliners this is not a problem - your just cruising high up after all!  I turn REX off about 30 miles from the airport so I don't get any fps hit on approach.

The 'persistent weather load' feature really changes the weather slowly, so there is no sudden change of weather with a new metar. 

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

19 hours ago, scotchegg said:

@Stearmandriver, this is what I was talking about a few months ago when I said the stratus clouds were basically flattened cumulus puffs.

I understand he's saying the same thing you were. It's still not what I see. We went through this with the wavy cirrus before; those looked like upper level clouds I see all the time.  Were they representative of every possible type of upper level cloud?  No (though I see others in the sim as well).  Were they a realistic type of cirrus? Yes. 

Andrew Crowley

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

or bias it more towards Meteoblue outside of the specific METAR area confines, that will be good..

It's already not just biased towards meteoblue, but 100% generated by meteoblue outside of Metar areas.  

Andrew Crowley

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

One thing I don't see being talked about enough (imho) is the lack of humidity / aerosol in Live weather. This endless infinite visibility (apart from the odd metar-haze (actually very-well depicted)) is a real problem for me

Here is a photo over northern France heading for the UK, showing how Rex Weatherforce aerosol looks.  I was flying Athens to Cardiff - over Greece and Corfu the visibility was really poor.

16559506771638188649879221534760.jpg

• Like 2