Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Here is a photo over northern France heading for the UK, showing how Rex Weatherforce aerosol looks.  I was flying Athens to Cardiff - over Greece and Corfu the visibility was really poor.

Looks great, so much more like an actual atmosphere rather than just a sky. Rex never ceases to impress in screenshots, but unfortunately I just can't do it with its current 'local weather globally' model.

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Looks great, so much more like an actual atmosphere rather than just a sky. Rex never ceases to impress in screenshots, but unfortunately I just can't do it with its current 'local weather globally' model.

Exactly - it is like Asobo is "afraid" to create realistic atmosphere in fear that many of the casual players will complain they cannot see the Statue of Liberty. We know the system is capable of creating more realistic visibility (REX is just using the systems available to them). Live WX still needs much work.

The atmosphere is always way too "clean" and I think that is where a lot of the fake look comes from, the blending of the clouds to the sky. That sky is always "too blue" should be a lot more "grey" especially on hot humid days. Now once up to 15-20k feet sure the sky will be more blue since you're out of the hotter humid airmass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Certainly seems very much a throwback to techniques of old, hope at some point ASOBO give them the ability to be able to inject proper weather. Well REX and AS..... 😉

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

13 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I'm cursed with a psychology that will only be at rest in Live. I've seen some stunning results in some of the presets, downloaded several from .to to check them out, but one of my private immersion criteria is live weather. Trust me, I irritate myself, regularly.

I agree with you there.

I have just purchased a ButtKicker to add another piece of immersion to the sim. I added an HDR monitor to get extra brightness so the sky is more realistic. I added Airbus levers to my HoneyComb throttle quadrant to get that tiny bit more realism feeling.  I purchased a hardware screen calibrator so colours and shadows are correct.

My brain will not allow a weather preset to be used. It would break some of that immersion in the sim. Weather should be planned for, not known exactly what will be at the destination.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

17 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I agree with you there.

I have just purchased a ButtKicker to add another piece of immersion to the sim. I added an HDR monitor to get extra brightness so the sky is more realistic. I added Airbus levers to my HoneyComb throttle quadrant to get that tiny bit more realism feeling.  I purchased a hardware screen calibrator so colours and shadows are correct.

My brain will not allow a weather preset to be used. It would break some of that immersion in the sim. Weather should be planned for, not known exactly what will be at the destination.

Got a HDR10 TV but not enough nits to do justice to the MSFS skies.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

On 6/22/2022 at 9:06 AM, Krakin said:

Uninformed people who seem to be salty about the inclusion of the console market just love saying that but it really isn't valid. From day one, clouds have never been very taxing on performance like they were in FSX. It makes no sense to think that diverse cloud types will put so much load on the engine that it would have to take the Xbox out of the conversation. Asobo has made no indication that the current issues have anything to do with Xbox. This has everything to do with something going amiss when they introduced weather that followed METARS.

Are you serious!

Heavy storm clouds on any thing higher than Medium cripple my FPS!

Chris Camp

2 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Are you serious!

Heavy storm clouds on any thing higher than Medium cripple my FPS!

I lose 2-3 frames max. Dense ground textures, traffic and complex aircraft hurt me the most if anything. My clouds are always on ultra and I don't notice dips even when I set presets to overcast with storms. It is very different to how things were with FSX

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Here's an interesting thread about Xbox's role in graphical degradation:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-it-correct-to-say-msfs-graphic-quality-is-limited-to-what-xbox-can-do/526510

FWIW, MSFS is still accessing higher VRAM amounts as demanded and this is the same now as it was many moons ago, about 22Gb including OS/LNM:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-it-correct-to-say-msfs-graphic-quality-is-limited-to-what-xbox-can-do/526510

FWIW, MSFS is still accessing higher VRAM amounts as demanded and this is the same now as it was many moons ago, about 22Gb including OS/LNM:

That is interesting thread!

Also I think I recall seeing in one of the twitch dev streams that especially when they were making all the "performance improvements" in SU7 they were careful not to go over a certain limit of VRAM usage. And something about adding in other things - so the theory would be that maybe they degraded cloud depiction to add in the "other things" and kept the VRAM usage the same? Sorry it's kind of vague just going by memory of that twitch stream since the "performance update".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

That is what I have been saying ….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

28 minutes ago, GSalden said:

That is what I have been saying ….

You mean what the title of the thread states as a question?  Lots of comments in the thread and a few are worth reading.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 hours ago, KERNEL32 said:

We know the system is capable of creating more realistic visibility (REX is just using the systems available to them). Live WX still needs much work.

Don't forget, there's nothing "available" to us, we have to hook into everything ourselves.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

22 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The biggest positive from these images is that MSFS is capable of depicting a much better sky. Considering REX don't have a weather sdk to use, they have done a remarkable job with live weather. Whatever method they have used, Asobo should take note.

My screenshots demonstrate Asobo is using cumulus for everything. If I was in charge of the weather, I would get REX on board as a partner to get around any licensing issues.

REX has no SDK access to weather so they are limited to a global weather model. Imagine what Rex could do with access to the weather!

Wow. Well, that comparison is stunning. But good to see that the engine is at least capable of doing all this. It makes me even more wondering what actually is going on behind all this.

20 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Wow. Well, that comparison is stunning. But good to see that the engine is at least capable of doing all this. It makes me even more wondering what actually is going on behind all this.

Also makes you realize it has nothing to do with limitations imposed for the sake of the xbox....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.