Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

8 hours ago, KERNEL32 said:

Exactly - it is like Asobo is "afraid" to create realistic atmosphere in fear that many of the casual players will complain they cannot see the Statue of Liberty

That is complete bull with zero evidence to back it up.
People can change the weather if they want to see things clearer.

You’re completely underestimating their intelligence.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

That is your opinion of coarse as you can only speak for yourself….

Just as it is my opinion that the development of MSFS for the XBox has caused some drawbacks for people with pc’s…

Each of my 3090 cards costs more than 4 XBox consoles. So if the XBox was more than enough than MSFS would be a simple game … (again my opinion)

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hang in there Gerard they are nowhere near done 😀

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

38 minutes ago, GSalden said:

That is your opinion of coarse as you can only speak for yourself….

Just as it is my opinion that the development of MSFS for the XBox has caused some drawbacks for people with pc’s…

Each of my 3090 cards costs more than 4 XBox consoles. So if the XBox was more than enough than MSFS would be a simple game … (again my opinion)

Yeah opinions are nice to have but you have done a poor job of backing yours up with evidence or well reasoned arguments. Take the bolded above, for instance. It provides no explanation for your line of thinking. Your two 3090s cost a lot? So what? you realize the minimum PC specs for MSFS are significantly worse than what a Series X or S contain, right? So what are the drawbacks we see for PCs like that? Why is the Xbox getting all the blame and attention? Ever heard of scaling software? lol. It's your opinion but I think it is bad.......my opinion.

You know, the stuff going on in this thread reminds me of a time when a lot of people were convinced MSFS would require a monthly subscription........

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

5 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Heavy storm clouds on any thing higher than Medium cripple my FPS!

Even when I had my trusty 1080, the very small effect clouds of any density / type had on frames in MSFS was a real plus. Especially coming from xEnviro with XP which tanked frames the minute a puff hoved into view somewhere.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

On this whole topic of XBox and MSFS, some perspective:

PC equivalent of XBox-X = Intel i7-9700K (or Ryzen 3700X) with an Nvidia 3070 (or Radeon 6800), or thereabouts (i.e. https://www.makeuseof.com/xbox-series-x-vs-gaming-pc/)

For the XBox-X Asobo has configured MSFS to optimize for 30fps @ 4K, for the lesser Xbox-S it is 30fps @ 1080p (by "configured" I mean to set visual settings in MSFS for that X-Box version of the software, not globally force it on all MSFS versions). Also note that on the XBox the OS is highly tuned just to run the one application/game unlike Windows where multiple things are going on and is not tuned to specific hardware since it needs to support all kinds of hardware.  So given all that, it is safe to say a good portion of MSFS users have PCs that are lesser than the XBox specs. 

All this just to say there really was no reason for Asobo to intentionally scale back MSFS *just* for the XBox, and they've also explicitly squashed this urban myth and said that this was *not* the case in various Q&As (of course if you choose to not believe Asobo then that's another matter). Around the time of SU5 and the MSFS release for XBox, Asobo used that opportunity to improve performance on *both* platforms, due to various PC user complaints about performance up until then being on top of the issues/requests list. So the problem ended up being one of Asobo not doing a good enough job in their performance re-work, partly due to forcing themselves to a release date and rushing things. They did clean up after SU5 however, after facing intense backlash. I'd say their mistake here was to stick to the release date rather than delaying it to properly finish the performance re-work.

But the key to keep reminding ourselves of here is that Asobo is not out to intentionally lower visual fidelity for both platforms just to accommodate the XBox (quite frankly the XBox needs no accommodating given it is superior to many PCs out there in the simmer base). To think they are still doing this, and blame whatever current visual problems/regression on XBox is good for conspiracy theorizing and making yourself feel good for being a superior PC user, but doesn't quite gel with reality I'm afraid. If certain aspects of MSFS are not as good visually as it once was, it's due to them botching up for other reasons (i.e. the METAR blending, or whatever else).

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Yeah opinions are nice to have but you have done a poor job of backing yours up with evidence or well reasoned arguments. Take the bolded above, for instance. It provides no explanation for your line of thinking. Your two 3090s cost a lot? So what? you realize the minimum PC specs for MSFS are significantly worse than what a Series X or S contain, right? So what are the drawbacks we see for PCs like that? Why is the Xbox getting all the blame and attention? Ever heard of scaling software? lol. It's your opinion but I think it is bad.......my opinion.

You know, the stuff going on in this thread reminds me of a time when a lot of people were convinced MSFS would require a monthly subscription........

You are making the same mistake over and over again. Thinking that your opinion is the only thruth….  And no room for another ones line of thinking. My opinion.

You may always reread what I wrote 

You are just around for 3 years here at Avsim so still a newbie. You are forgiven 🧐

Without kiddin’ : Left or right : it would be very welcome if clouds were improved and more cloudtypes would be introduced.

And imho that will not happen because of the XBox that needs to be able to handle it too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

36 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

partly due to forcing themselves to a release date and rushing things... I'd say their mistake here was to stick to the release date rather than delaying it to properly finish the performance re-work.

This is the only part I feel compelled to pick you up on, as you say much that's sensible and echoes my own past comments, because the part I've quoted is the same error others keep making with regard to release dates: Microsoft set the release dates, and Asobo have no choice but to work to them and release what they have when a release date arrives, even when they know it isn't ready. Only Microsoft can decide to change that, as they are the publisher. It's been stated or hinted at by Jorg that the Asobo team had expressed frustration with their tight release dates, so Microsoft have finally given them some breathing space...

This goes for everything in the sim, too, wherein Microsoft decide on the content and what Asobo must focus on at any time. It is Microsoft's project, not Asobo's.

This is simply how the industry works; the publisher and IP owner has ultimate control. They can make really stupid decisions, even down to how things must be coded, which the development studio know are ludicrous, but the devs are just the workers. But as the devs are often genuinely passionate about what they're working on, those bad decisions often frustrate them more than you, the user, behind the scenes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

This is the only part I feel compelled to pick you up on, as you say much that's sensible and echoes my own past comments, because the part I've quoted is the same error others keep making with regard to release dates: Microsoft set the release dates, and Asobo have no choice but to work to them and release what they have when a release date arrives, even when they know it isn't ready. Only Microsoft can decide to change that, as they are the publisher. It's been stated or hinted at by Jorg that the Asobo team had expressed frustration with their tight release dates, so Microsoft have finally given them some breathing space...

This goes for everything in the sim, too, wherein Microsoft decide on the content and what Asobo must focus on at any time. It is Microsoft's project, not Asobo's.

This is simply how the industry works; the publisher and IP owner has ultimate control. They can make really stupid decisions, even down to how things must be coded, which the development studio know are ludicrous, but the devs are just the workers. But as the devs are often genuinely passionate about what they're working on, those bad decisions often frustrate them more than you, the user, behind the scenes.

Oh yes quite agree, the release timelines and forcing to stick to some deadlines is much more a MS thing than Asobo. When I speak of "they" I mean MS/Asobo overall... but yes, in terms of this specific aspect of release management, it's MS driven of course. I sense that it's now gotten better given how they've reduced the SU release frequency and allowed for longer beta periods, etc.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

33 minutes ago, GSalden said:

You are just around for 3 years here at Avsim so still a newbie. You are forgiven 🧐

Well if we're going to be that petty, I should point out that my post to reputation ratio is way better than yours lol. Not bad for a newbie, huh?

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

21 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Oh yes quite agree, the release timelines and forcing to stick to some deadlines is much more a MS thing than Asobo. When I speak of "they" I mean MS/Asobo overall... but yes, in terms of this specific aspect of release management, it's MS driven of course. I sense that it's now gotten better given how they've reduced the SU release frequency and allowed for longer beta periods, etc.

Others don't realise this at all. They don't realise how little say a development team can have in a project.

I know of a game that never made it to release, and I saw the press articles about its mysterious disappearance from the release schedule. It's no mystery to me. It was down to a dumb decision made by the publisher/IP owner, that seriously frustrated the development team as the programmers could have easily overcome the issues that ultimately doomed it.

• Like 2

Clouds on Ultra are weird on my systems. Sometimes flying in them almost halves my FPS, sometimes it doesn't.

Might depend on how thick they are.

Edited by Tuskin38

On 6/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, KERNEL32 said:

No.  Don't get me started. Easier to point you to the official forums, where a vast majority agree they need a LOT of work still.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/can-we-have-a-weather-update-only/519593

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/realistic-dangerous-weather-physics-simulation/523522

And this one:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-now-seems-incapable-of-rendering-overcast-using-live-weather/473591

Ads Kluczinsky