Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:01 PM, Weatherman said:

I have never asked for METAR, and getting rid of that mess is one of my top wishes since then. The side effects introduced with that are just too bad. As often, it's not automatically a majority or "the community" just because the group of complainers is louder than others. It's the hardcode VATSIM simmers that needed this for their experience. I would say that decision was a mistake, given those side effects. But yes, that's only my point of view, realistic and physically accurate depiction of weather is far more important than correct METAR for me. Everything else just breaks immersion. But I respect that others may have other priorities.

In my opinion the biggest mistake was to try and make the weather engine 'fit the METAR' rather than have the 'METAR fit the weather engine' ... i.e. create sim-based METAR rather than 'real world' and then give access to 3rd party apps to this sim-based METAR through an API. End result would hopefully have been the dynamic weather engine we saw in the early days, a consistent and sim-accurate METAR available to any 3rd party application that wanted to use it. Just my opinion though!

• Like 3

Ads Kluczinsky

6 minutes ago, Wakner said:

In my opinion the biggest mistake was to try and make the weather engine 'fit the METAR' rather than have the 'METAR fit the weather engine' ... i.e. create sim-based METAR rather than 'real world' and then give access to 3rd party apps to this sim-based METAR through an API. End result would hopefully have been the dynamic weather engine we saw in the early days, a consistent and sim-accurate METAR available to any 3rd party application that wanted to use it. Just my opinion though!

Yah it's almost as if the METAR is constantly battling the beautiful organic Meteoblue in live weather, and the results are like a sledgehammer hitting the clouds and scattering them about into a soupy mess of cumulus puffs.

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

Well if we're going to be that petty, I should point out that my post to reputation ratio is way better than yours lol. Not bad for a newbie, huh?

Be careful with that one, he has special staff forum privileges like immunity from the ignore button, don't be surprised if his post to reputation all of a sudden appears to be better than yours tomorrow.🤣😭😛

@DeepestRedThe Avsim Teflon Don is at it again, are you surprised?😄

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

8 hours ago, Krakin said:

Well if we're going to be that petty, I should point out that my post to reputation ratio is way better than yours lol. Not bad for a newbie, huh?

Wow, again trying to put yourself on a pedestal.  This is a forum ; everyone can have their opinion. Repeatingly stating that others are wrong and your opinion is the only thruth shows a not so mature attitude.

Btw : who says that in 2004 you could get/give reputation ? …

Enough said by me. I am going back on topic… 🤠

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 hours ago, Wakner said:

Not just yours! Second that.

6 hours ago, Wakner said:

Totally agree.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

10 hours ago, Krakin said:

Ever considered that could be related to the fact that there’s no downvote options here at avsim? Just food for thought. I’m with Gerard here. Might be good for you to get down from that pedestal every once in a while. Check out what the ground view looks like. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Wow, again trying to put yourself on a pedestal.  This is a forum ; everyone can have their opinion. Repeatingly stating that others are wrong and your opinion is the only thruth shows a not so mature attitude.

Btw : who says that in 2004 you could get/give reputation ? …

Enough said by me. I am going back on topic… 🤠

You put yourself up on the smooth brained pedestal when you brought up my time on the forum as if that changes the fact that you sound completely daft.

Edited by Krakin

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I think it's unfair to suggest a person's legitimacy has a correlation with the age of their account. 

There are airline pilots and seasoned ASOBO devs who were born after some of us made our first post here, many of whom now know more than us on certain topics.

Back on topic, I personally don't think new cloud types will have any affect on XBOX, but I do think in 8 years time having to keep a 10 year old console running at 30fps will be a deciding factor on the fidelity of the final version of weather. 

If XBOX compatibility had anything to do with cloud resolution changes in SU5 is not my expertise. It might have had more to do with overall fps improvements. I certainly don't have insight and the people who do know are employees that can't share their insight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

13 hours ago, GSalden said:

Each of my 3090 cards costs more than 4 XBox consoles.

Your point being?

As for the clouds, the quality ranges from (sometimes) terrible to often good to (also sometimes) very good.

Range and quality seems to improve by using RWF.

Unlike some folks, I don't get hung up on this.

So the Omnicombulusstratopherus isn't modeled. The outrage! Let me sit down and compose a letter of complaint and send it to Satya Nadella.

Cool it down guys 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I don't have a horse in this race, but I think it's unfair to suggest a person's legitimacy has a correlation with the age of their account. 

There are airline pilots and seasoned ASOBO devs who were born after some of us made our first post here, many of whom now know more than us on certain topics.

Back on topic, I personally don't think new cloud types will have any affect on XBOX, but I do think in 8 years time having to keep a 10 year old console running at 30fps will be a deciding factor on the fidelity of the final version of weather. 

If XBOX compatibility had anything to do with cloud resolution changes in SU5 is not my expertise. It might have had more to do with overall fps improvements. I certainly don't have insight and the people who do know are employees that can't share their insight.

In terms of hardware the XBOX is far in advanced of what I was initially using MSFS on, not now.

What I have found is that the weather now seems to match what is reported elsewhere, great for knowing what you are flying into. Do not remember if at any point it was consistently right WITH full range of clouds?

G

PS: As for the first point, I agree - users shouldn't get to play the "I've been here longest" card and then bleat when the other user points out their rep is better !!

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

22 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Your point being?

As for the clouds, the quality ranges from (sometimes) terrible to often good to (also sometimes) very good.

Range and quality seems to improve by using RWF.

Unlike some folks, I don't get hung up on this.

So the Omnicombulusstratopherus isn't modeled. The outrage! Let me sit down and compose a letter of complaint and send it to Satya Nadella.

My point is that weather could be more advanced regarding cloudtypes and complexity of weather.

In my opinion because of the XBox we will not get that as the XBox is less powerful than high end pc’s.

Don’t get me wrong : I like what I see but there is room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/u-L85yd3oJU

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

In terms of hardware the XBOX is far in advanced of what I was initially using MSFS on, not now.

Yeah. I think my point was that we're going to be held back as tech and progress advances, since there's a set in stone threshold we can't move beyond. 16GB VRAM I thin? Whatever the game looks like in 2030, 2040, etc will have to work with what was standard in 2020.

A problem for tomorrow's devs, I guess.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.