Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Well that's where I guess we have to agree to disagree... given that XBox is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum of the PC hardware combinations that MSFS aims to support (again, with all the controls/settings to tweak visual fidelity along with screen resolution), then how is XBox being considered even such a factor? I think usual misconceptions about consoles are seeping into coloring some PC users about the quality of software/sims/games that support both PCs and consoles.  The consoles of today are not the ones from yesteryear, they are pretty d*mn powerful, and the "low-end" of hardware that a game/sim developer tries to cater to is actually still a certain class of PCs. Regardless of PC hardware advancements pace, MS/Asobo are always going to also cater to many who stick with old PC hardware.

Keep in mind that the core OS and frameworks that MSFS is built on (i.e. windows-based, directX, etc) are all pretty much the same between PCs and XBox.. it's not like they are maintaining entirely two different sets of codebases.

No arguments with your comments.  The highest end PC is significantly more capable than the highest end Xbox and this relationship largely persists over time.  All that MS/Asobo needs to do is use highest end PC to calibrate the very highest end settings that are user controllable, the socalled sliders.  This seems a worthy goal I feel, even if it doesn't concern Xbox per se.  So the Xbox user (and lower end PC user) just choose Medium or High and highest end PCI does ultra.  I'm sure quite a few Xbox users end up getting smitten by FS and invest in a high end PC anyway, and there are quite a few PC users for MSFS.  IOW--it's not a good thing to NOT allow the highest end hardware to deliver the best possible visuals no one benefits from this strategy.  My guess is they have left a little room for cloud depiction and overall weather.   Medium might be decent like it is now often, but Ultra takes it up a couple notches in resolution and complexity, accessing large amounts of VRAM via DX12, or something along thos lines:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

'm still looking for a 30 FPS, stutter free experience, on my PC, with an i-9 9900K OC @ 5.0, 32 GB or Ram, and a O/C 2080 Super..

I have nearly the same specs as you and I have a buttery smooth sim. Here is how I achieved that:

My monitor is natively running at 60Hz. In the Nvidia Control panel I have set a custom resolution with the same values as the default settings, but with a refresh rate of 30 Hz. I am lucky that my monitor supports that, but you may give it a try too:

Go to Nvidia Control panel - Display/change resolution - beneath the list box of standard resolutions select "Adjust" - in the dialog box select "create user defined resolution" - change refresh rate to "30 Hz" - then "Test". If your monitor can handle the refresh rate, save these settings. And everytime you run MSFS, change to this custom resolution in NVidia Control panel first, then start the simulator. Inside MSFS, make sure to activate "Vsync" and adjust your settings so that you achieve more than 30fps in all conditions - and there you are: smooth as silk!

I am running a non-english system, so maybe the menu items are named a bit differently, but youl'll figure it out...

Edited by Tom_L

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Very well written. 

In my opinion : if Asobo would make clouds much better with all kinds of cloudtypes and more cloudlayers, then the XBox might lose too much performance and would not be smooth again ….

And using 2 different weather engines is probably not going to happen.

Which all kind of becomes a moot point, with the increasingly powerful and common game streaming options.....

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

In my opinion : if Asobo would make clouds much better with all kinds of cloudtypes and more cloudlayers, then the XBox might lose too much performance and would not be smooth again 

Easy peasy:  Xbox (and mid-grade PCs) use Medium for Volumetric Clouds, whereas you can use Ultra--only problem now is Ultra DOES NOT tax a high end PC--so this is the headroom Asobo has to improve cloud types and layers etc and there is rumor to support they will,. and Asobo said they will be working on cloud types/morphology.  

Edited by Noel
  • Upvote 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

55 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

I have nearly the same specs as you and I have a buttery smooth sim....My monitor is natively running at 60Hz. In the Nvidia Control panel I have set a custom resolution with the same values as the default settings, but with a refresh rate of 30 Hz.

Tom, I thought this was true for MSFS which came from using this approach in P3D v4.5.  When I installed MSFS I kept the same settings as I continued to use P3D for about 5-6 months, however P3D did not offer the vsync divisors MSFS does.  Many months later I realized since MSFS has divisors to use there is no need, and no benefit, to using 30Hz.  So I went back to 60hz and still enjoy smooth 30FPS.

• Like 1

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Easy peasy:  Xbox (and mid-grade PCs) use Medium for Volumetric Clouds, whereas you can use Ultra--only problem now is Ultra DOES NOT tax a high end PC--so this is the headroom Asobo has to improve cloud types and layers etc and there is rumor to support they will,. and Asobo said they will be working on cloud types/morphology.  

Hope they will improve indeed and more different types on of the most important parts of flying but when I compare it to AS and P3D I wouldn't trade it...
Maybe they could change that route for PC and Xbox however I doubt they will...

André

22 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Clouds over Ireland today

https://imgur.com/a/e60GTtL

See, now some here will list the faults in your pictures (whatever they are) while I sit here and try to think if I have ever seen better.....

Classic glass half empty, glass half full.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

43 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

Do they have turbulences inside?

There are always possibilities... https://secure.simmarket.com/m.-a.-realturb-realturb-cat-areas-global-for-msfs.phtml

Devons rig

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Clouds over Ireland today

https://imgur.com/a/e60GTtL

Cumulus fest yet again.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

See, now some here will list the faults in your pictures (whatever they are) while I sit here and try to think if I have ever seen better.....

Classic glass half empty, glass half full.

For cumulus they look great, no doubt about it, they are the best cumulus yet in a flight sim.  Just a pity one has to use REX WeatherForce to get an improvement on that sky.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Just a pity one has to use REX WeatherForce to get an improvement on that sky

I wish I could get a refund for that program. It kills my FPS and will often change weather dramatically during approach. Sure, it looks good, but I can't use it with it's poor performance and I have a high-end setup. 

2 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I wish I could get a refund for that program. It kills my FPS and will often change weather dramatically during approach. Sure, it looks good, but I can't use it with it's poor performance and I have a high-end setup. 

Same. Persistent weather loading turns the sim into a stutterfest. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”