Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

Something that I noticed recently with the few clouds preset is some apparent cirrus like clouds way up there.  I'm assuming a server update was made but they look good at any rate.

sp 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Something that I noticed recently with the few clouds preset is some apparent cirrus like clouds way up there.  I'm assuming a server update was made but they look good at any rate.

sp 

I’ve noticed the same. Clearly still need work, but I’ve definitely seen more frequent cirrus-esque clouds at altitude that make me think things are being worked on.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Probably a little while until MSFS clouds look like this:

yojjT4V.jpg

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Sad thing is, they had plausible cloud scenes as shown in your screenshot above at release... then they borked the clouds after like SU3. There used to be a more solid/opaque high level overcast and broken layer that looked fantastic (and had darker shade as appropriate for the scene - now it's just some light transparent puffs all over that are supposed to represent a high cloud layer?). Sure, it was not quite close to the photo you posted because they would need to increase the cloud resolution a bunch, but was not too bad at release.

Edited by KERNEL32
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

Sure, it was not quite close to the photo you posted because they would need to increase the cloud resolution a bunch, but wan not too bad at release.

The good news though is that it proves it can be better with their cloud depiction software.  Plus, there is considerable processing headroom to exploit in ever-increasing hardware capabillity.  So there is reason for hope we will see something better down the road.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I believe the clouds were better in TA, and that unfortunately Asobo had to lower the quality a bit due to performance issues.  These pics are somewhere from SU5 or so - and they looked pretty good here.  Still if you get up close they don't look so hot.  TA versions up close were more detailed.

51799782571_c266eb7e35_k.jpgUntitled-21 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51840256727_e300d5bb07_k.jpgsrcruise by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 7/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, ryanbatc said:

Still if you get up close they don't look so hot.  TA versions up close were more detailed.

Weather/clouds from a distance largely look better to me, but up close they've taken a serious resolution hit.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 6/20/2022 at 3:06 PM, Silicus said:

There are the best in any flightsim ever, but there are only cumulus clouds represented in the sim right now or slight variations of them.

I was wondering about this! I thought perhaps live weather was still broken, because I never see the high, thin clouds that often are over my area. When it's just these clouds IRL, I get a clear blue sky..

Has this always been the case? I thought we had better clouds with more variety when the sim launched, but I could easily be confusing this sim with others (I haven't flown any sim in quite awhile).

I really regret the clouds and the light engine. 

s0KuhFG.jpg

D7Bkkr8.jpg

HLjmAMe.jpg

Look at this render from the year 2020.And it's not in ultra

npywXTl.jpg

• Like 3

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

13 hours ago, filou said:

Look at this render from the year 2020.And it's not in ultra

Are you using ReShade or something? Your images look way more realistic than what I've got, kinda like they've been through software HDR processing. I was able to improve things somewhat by dialing back the saturation using NV control panel, but it doesn't "pop" like your screenshots.

14 hours ago, filou said:

I really regret the clouds and the light engine.

I didn't include the cloud pictures in the quote because they were just full of just cumulus again.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 7/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, Noel said:

Weather/clouds from a distance largely look better to me, but up close they've taken a serious resolution hit.

I agree

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 7/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

yojjT4V.jpg

If they ever do look exactly like this, and I then see a thread complaining about slowdowns in heavy clouds..... 😢

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, Keto Ketchup said:

Are you using ReShade or something? Your images look way more realistic than what I've got, kinda like they've been through software HDR processing. I was able to improve things somewhat by dialing back the saturation using NV control panel, but it doesn't "pop" like your screenshots.

For these shots not at all they are by default and date from the year 2020/2021. Today I use nvidia freestyle to try to find this balance but I can't even do it with.

I found the clouds and the light engine much more realistic before:

A few more examples:

OBkuo9t.jpg

bv5pp8q.jpg

VVyncpM.jpg

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

It seems to me that people complained about pixelation and so Asobo produced lower resolution clouds.  This combined with the addition of the 'density' variable to produce clouds that are generally more blobby and darker/muddier in their shadows.

I don't know that its possible to have high res clouds that will run well that also don't have apparent pixelation.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.