Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

2 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

which of these would you judge as more photorealistic?

Both are excellent to the same degree. They just show different weather. So your issue appears to be "the same preset does not result in the same weather anymore".

2 hours ago, mrueedi said:

Both are excellent to the same degree. They just show different weather. So your issue appears to be "the same preset does not result in the same weather anymore".

Really?  One looks great and the other a mess, both in cloud depiction and lighting.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

If only someone with direct access to the source code could explain the changes made that led to all the differences since SU5 and if restoring the quality is possible...

Can you imagine any scenario where restoring quality is no longer technically possible?  I can't--after all, they created the initial implementation.  Perhaps when DX12 is optimized whenever that might be they will revisit cloud depiction and add user control to implement higher resolution clouds.   Tell me-if some with access to source code told you there is no way it will ever be returned or surpass its former quality, what would you do?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

if restoring the quality is possible...

In one developer Q&A Seb made very clear that cloud rendering (and I can only guess that the same goes for the lighting) has a huge impact on performance, so I highly doubt it.

4 hours ago, Keto Ketchup said:

which is which?

Pretty obvious: the first one is SU10, the second is release version.

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

They just show different weather.

SU5 introduced a whole different rendering of the clouds and the lighting, that's where a good part of the performance gain stems from. It is most obvious in the colorscape and the harsh contrasts and doesn't end with the sun bleeding through solid cloud coverage. You may argue that it is a matter of personal preference if one likes it or not, which it surely is. But the changes are not deniable.

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, mrueedi said:

Both are excellent to the same degree.

Not in my opinion. The initial clouds and lighting gave a sense of flight and realism. Ever since SU5 it's more of a cartoony caricature.

I still don't get why they have to limit max quality and performance to what mid-range hardware can handle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

In one developer Q&A Seb made very clear that cloud rendering (and I can only guess that the same goes for the lighting) has a huge impact on performance, so I highly doubt it.

Prior to installing a 3080Ti, I was using a 2070 Super.  I had no trouble rendering clouds at Ultra except with very low density fog-like cloud density I would need to drop down to High.  Hardware only improves steadily over time and that includes Xbox, so it is highly likely we will see progressively better cloud depiction over time and I predict not that far out, and by that I mean within the year.  

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Not in my opinion. The initial clouds and lighting gave a sense of flight and realism. Ever since SU5 it's more of a cartoony caricature.

I still don't get why they have to limit max quality and performance to what mid-range hardware can handle.

I don't think they have to--but they need to consider the very big picture and decide when it's time to go there.  There is so much dissatisfaction w/ current cloud depiction and they are hyperaware of this, of course.

Noel

14 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

I also think both are good. Probably different time of day. You didn't say which one is the SU10 beta, the first or second?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

I was using a 2070 Super.  I had no trouble rendering clouds at Ultra

Same here with a 2080, that's why I was optimistic at first when they mentioned "additional headroom" for PC users. But looking at their botched attempts to get Live weather back to a reasonable state I struggle to be as optimistic as you are, especially when it comes to the timeframe. Let's hope you are right...

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

I started with a 1060 and had no trouble running the sim. Sure I had to drop down other settings but clouds stayed on Ultra. As long as the sky looked real the sim was amazing.

Now we have ultra realistic looking airliners flying in cartoony skies. We lost too much in the process.

13 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I also think both are good. Probably different time of day. You didn't say which one is the SU10 beta, the first or second?

Same time, SU10 beta is first.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Same here with a 2080, that's why I was optimistic at first when they mentioned "additional headroom" for PC users. But looking at their botched attempts to get Live weather back to a reasonable state I struggle to be as optimistic as you are, especially when it comes to the timeframe. Let's hope you are right...

Hang in there Tom--10yr project, now 1.9y out.  

Microsoft's new flagship Xbox Series X Elite console teased in new renders, and man it looks so good -- new console drops in 2023.  Some hints that the developer kit for it supports up to 40Gb of RAM.

• Like 1

Noel

4 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Why do we have to wait for a new console?

Patience, grasshopper.  How did you twist that, into 'having to wait for a new console'?  I provided that information to illustrate there is no justification for the belief we're stuck w/ the current iteration of cloud depiction secondary to the hardware limitations of Xbox and low end PCs.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

Is it because they have to honor this?

Are there any differences between the PC version and Xbox version?

• The experience of Microsoft Flight Simulator is the same.