Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

The main thing for me is the disappointment of having to take a massive step backwards to move forwards, as better as SU10 weather/clouds are it's still not as good as pre-SU7.

It was, in my opinion, a major mess up by MS/Asobo in failing to properly test and integrate METAR privately before release to the wider public. Of all the mess ups its one of the biggest in the short two year history of this Sim, I really do hope they improve going forward and SU10 itself is a sign that they actually might've in various aspects (but I'll see on release...!).

For any massive game/simulation release there's always a Honeymoon Period for me, as far as I'm concerned for this Sim that period is over on the two year anniversary.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Just look at the clouds in this Release Trailer...says it all really!

https://youtu.be/BTETsm79D3A

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

8 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Just look at the clouds in this Release Trailer...says it all really!

https://youtu.be/BTETsm79D3A

Hi. Are there clouds in that specific trailer that SU 10 cannot do? Maybe  you can note the timestamp, or post a screenshot from that trailer, of clouds that SU 10 cannot do.  Off the top of my head, I don't notice anything in that trailer that the SU 10 beta cannot do.  Thanks!

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Hi. Are there clouds in that specific trailer that SU 10 cannot do? Maybe  you can note the timestamp, or post a screenshot from that trailer, of clouds that SU 10 cannot do.  Off the top of my head, I don't notice anything in that trailer that the SU 10 beta cannot do.  Thanks!

I don't see many of those cloud types in SU10 Beta and I've flown lots in it (as before it is better than SU9), talking Live Weather BTW not preset. We had that in Live Weather before the METAR SU7 debacle!

7 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I don't see many of those cloud types in SU10 Beta and I've flown lots in it (as before it is better than SU9), talking Live Weather BTW not preset. We had that in Live Weather before the METAR SU7 debacle!

But which part of the video? Can you cite a timestamp, or post a screenshot from the video?

Like I said, for me, I don't see any clouds in that trailer video, that the SU 10 beta cannot do. 

Edited by abrams_tank

10 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

But which part of the video? Can you cite a timestamp, or post a screenshot from the video?

Like I said, for me, I don't see any clouds in that trailer video, that the SU 10 beta cannot do. 

Many parts of the video IMO, if you can't see the differences that's fine I respect that.

8 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Many parts of the video IMO, if you can't see the differences that's fine I respect that.

Yeah, I didn't see anything in the video for the clouds that can't be done in the SU 10 beta.  Maybe it's just me.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

SU10 - Somewhere under the rainbow out of Essendon YMEN. Getting there guys!

Nice one! Which aircraft is that?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

The main thing for me is the disappointment of having to take a massive step backwards to move forwards, as better as SU10 weather/clouds are it's still not as good as pre-SU7.

It was, in my opinion, a major mess up by MS/Asobo in failing to properly test and integrate METAR privately before release to the wider public. Of all the mess ups its one of the biggest in the short two year history of this Sim, I really do hope they improve going forward and SU10 itself is a sign that they actually might've in various aspects (but I'll see on release...!).

For any massive game/simulation release there's always a Honeymoon Period for me, as far as I'm concerned for this Sim that period is over on the two year anniversary.

I don’t think we will have a pre-SU7-style dynamic weather again. I think it was a bold move by Microsoft/Asobo to release the sim with such a weather system vs the “standard” METAR-based system we’ve seen in many other sims. Even if they opted to revert to the original system, I’m not sure how easy of a task that would be. 

It seems though, that they’re trying to patch the METAR-zones around airports with more gradual weather changes. This is from the beta release notes:

Added interpolation out of METAR data when getting away from the METAR data (distance, altitude or time)

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

28 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Nice one! Which aircraft is that?

It’s the Flysimware’s Cessna 414AW Chancellor, isn’t it? 😁

57 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I didn't see anything in the video for the clouds that can't be done in the SU 10 beta.  Maybe it's just me.  

This just goes in favour of my posts from the past about clouds and weather post-SU5 and onwards. I have seen a variety of clouds, including flat overcast, where others swear they were completely eliminated from the sim. I've been asked to post screenshots to prove it, but I didn't think of screenshots while flying and then didn't come across the same conditions again... I never said things like flat overcast were common, only that I'd seen it since the METAR implementation days.

The point being that I don't think anything was ever removed per se; it's like Seb said, it's more about the data, and that probably also depends on where we're flying in the world. It sounds like previous adjustments to atmospheric layers may have made certain data capture/processing for certain cloud types to develop less likely, and perhaps METAR data conflicting and sending rendering a bit haywire, so certain cloud types became exceptionally rare. Whatever they have done now with increasing "thickness" of the lower layer(s), and anything else not elaborated on, is allowing for more common occurrences of other cloud types. Maybe.

But clearly we all have different experiences with what we see or have seen in terms of cloud depiction.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I don’t think we will have a pre-SU7-style dynamic weather again.

That global dynamic weather system is still in place outside of METAR zones. They are simply trying to blend them together more seamlessly.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

That global dynamic weather system is still in place outside of METAR zones. They are simply trying to blend them together more seamlessly.

Do we know the radius of these METAR zones?

8 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Whatever they have done now with increasing "thickness" of the lower layer(s), and anything else not elaborated on, is allowing for more common occurrences of other cloud types. Maybe.

Yes I think it’s a step in the right direction, along with the interpolations. Probably too early to tell, but I think this beta is promising so far. 

• Like 2