Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Do we know the radius of these METAR zones?

No idea. Maybe only Asobo can know that.

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

No idea. Maybe only Asobo can know that.

I guess. Unless there’s a test pilot here that won’t bother going up in the Darkstar to take some photos at 150k ft.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Do these SU10 clouds have substance when you are inside them, or can you still see your wings in full clarity?

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

Just look at the clouds in this Release Trailer...says it all really!

https://youtu.be/BTETsm79D3A

To be honest these look pretty much the same as very recent cloud depiction so it's not really saying it all for me.  I've been very vocal that cloud depiction has taken a serious hit but this trailer isn't showing that real well IMO.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Keto Ketchup said:

Do these SU10 clouds have substance when you are inside them, or can you still see your wings in full clarity?

They're fairly transparent. 

OztGLkM.jpg

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

This guy's pondering the weather changes in SU10 beta. I bet he's thinking "Yeah, this is starting to look pretty good."

j0wm1rK.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

To be honest these look pretty much the same as very recent cloud depiction so it's not really saying it all for me.  I've been very vocal that cloud depiction has taken a serious hit but this trailer isn't showing that real well IMO.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  To be fair, I am not in SU 10 beta, but I have been pouring over the pictures of the clouds in the SU 10 beta here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/good-job-on-the-improvements-to-the-weather-engine/529227/110.  I don't see anything in that video that isn't available in the SU 10 beta, so that's why I was asking for particular snapshot or a timestamp.  Good to know there are others that came away with the same conclusion as me.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  To be fair, I am not in SU 10 beta, but I have been pouring over the pictures of the clouds in the SU 10 beta here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/good-job-on-the-improvements-to-the-weather-engine/529227/110.  I don't see anything in that video that isn't available in the SU 10 beta, so that's why I was asking for particular snapshot or a timestamp.  Good to know there are others that came away with the same conclusion as me.

I'm with you regarding the launch trailer. Nothing spectacularly different there compared to current state. And I've also been through the thread you linked to. The OP has a lot of (really good) screenshots, many of which are from pre-SU7. 

Join the beta 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'm with you regarding the launch trailer. Nothing spectacularly different there compared to current state. And I've also been through the thread you linked to. The OP has a lot of (really good) screenshots, many of which are from pre-SU7. 

Oh yeah, that's why I asked MarcG for a timestamp or a screenshot from the trailer of the clouds that are not available in SU 10.  If there are clouds that can't be rendered in SU 10, we need to bring this to the attention of Asobo.  The great thing about that thread in the official MSFS forum is, people are posting pre SU 7 pictures, and comparing them to SU 10.  This gives objective and clear evidence to the developers at Asobo, of what is missing (if it's missing, based on the pictures).

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Lighting pollution is definitely borked in SU10. I can't see clouds at night at all even when they're over well lit areas. Aside from that, I'm also loving the improved live weather system in SU10. Seeing huge fronts way off in the distance looks awesome! Haven't experienced abrupt changes to weather yet so they've definitely done what they set out to do where making seamless transitions is concerned.

And yes, cloud variation is greatly improved. When I went thunderstorm hunting last night I changed the time to day so I could see the clouds and my jaw nearly dropped. It was glorious! Rainbow, showers, god rays, natural looking clouds, all coming together to make an awesome looking scene. Things are definitely moving in the right direction.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

21 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Haven't experienced abrupt changes to weather yet so they've definitely done what they set out to do where making seamless transitions is concerned.

Hmm, I think I've experienced abrupt weather changes in the beta. Clouds and lighting conditions will change suddenly, and there's usally abrupt wind changes at the same time. 

23 minutes ago, Krakin said:

And yes, cloud variation is greatly improved. When I went thunderstorm hunting last night I changed the time to day so I could see the clouds and my jaw nearly dropped. It was glorious! Rainbow, showers, god rays, natural looking clouds, all coming together to make an awesome looking scene. Things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Haven't seen lightning in a loooong time. But then again I haven't been looking for thunderstorms. I guess that's next on the "to-do list" 🙂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Krakin said:

ighting pollution is definitely borked in SU10. I can't see clouds at night at all even when they're over well lit areas.

Yeah that's been reported on the beta forums and been logged as a bug.

33 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Haven't seen lightning in a loooong time. But then again I haven't been looking for thunderstorms. I guess that's next on the "to-do list"

Lightning has been practically missing since the update where they tried to stop it from appearing where there were no clouds.

It's a lot more common now in SU10, but still not 1:1 to when the METAR reports it.

Edited by Tuskin38

47 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

but still not 1:1 to when the METAR reports it.

I could be wrong but when it comes to lightning, I suspect the sim foregoes what the METAR reports and sticks to what the data from monitoring systems say. Last night I was only able to find lightning in the sim where real world tracking was pinging live strikes. As we know, there is a delay with METAR reporting but passive lightning monitoring is very accurate so they're probably just using that.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=20.7972;x=-54.3604;z=4;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

This is the site I used if anyone wants to go hunting.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

They're fairly transparent. 

That looks more like fog than a cloud. Yesterday I was flying inside the clouds and couldn't see anything to the sides. Could see my 414 wings though, but I think that happens even IRL.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

This guy's pondering the weather changes in SU10 beta. I bet he's thinking "Yeah, this is starting to look pretty good."

j0wm1rK.jpg

Those clouds look a word not allowed sight better than his carpet.

• Upvote 1