Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

6 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Can you post screenshots of when the sim had this depiction quality?

What depiction quality?  I was speculating that Asobo would get back to more focus on cloud depiction quality after they optimize DX12.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

6 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Can you post screenshots of when the sim had this depiction quality?

One thing I can absolutely guarantee, is that one persons satisfied Perfection picture will be another person's oh my God that's so ugly picture.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

24 minutes ago, Noel said:

After all, how hard is to code something to be so complex the hardware/software can't cope with it?

Lol, that doesn't make any sense. You wanted them to waste their time coding something that people wouldn't be able to use?

• Like 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

17 hours ago, March Hare said:

I get the impression this is what some people want, or even expect, to see in the simulator. But it absolutely is years out of reach -- beyond current technology.

Good point, but what about self-learning algorithmic programs? .

Non-programmers (like me) , are the worst for saying 'it can easily be done, i know it can easily be done' lol, but this is on the internet somewhere (even referenced to msfs 2020 and worldwide animal placements) . maybe clouds. I would guess not so many years.

Obviously broadband/streaming services would need to be optimized, but in theory why cant nearly all processing power be moved from the user to the game distributor ? I just dont understand what the server side hardware limits are, down the road.

Edited by icewater5

12 hours ago, Alvega said:

Lol, that doesn't make any sense. You wanted them to waste their time coding something that people wouldn't be able to use?

Ahh, but that's just the point--in a 10yr project to implement a slider control that always lets the latest and greatest hardware deliver the best possible experience in cloud depiction/resolution is a very good thing.  My contention is the greatest weakness in cloud depiction has mostly to do with resolution/density.  I'm not talking about coding something entirely different for better hardware--only talking resolution/density as a user-selectable variable depending on their hardware's processing capabilities.   A good parallel to this is the Terrain LOD control that greatly impacts CPU utilization.  My 9900K at 4.9gHz allows me to set T-LOD from 110 at the most complex arrival airports, to upwards of 300 on modest rural airports, and everything in between.  A 12900K would let me set T-LOD to probably 180-400.  This is all I'm talking about as it would apply to cloud resolution/density.  And in another few years that much more.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

58 minutes ago, icewater5 said:

Good point, but what about self-learning algorithmic programs? .

Non-programmers (like me) , are the worst for saying 'it cane easily be done, i know it can easily be done' lol, but this is on the internet somewhere (even referenced to msfs 2020 and worldwide animal placements) . maybe clouds. I would guess not so many years.

That's artificial intelligence. Irrelevant. It won't help the real-time rendering capabilities of contemporary hardware. You'll see demos for the latest Unreal Engine showing off their "meta human" rendering, which shows fairly realistic looking human characters (from shoulders up), but it's not a particularly genuine showcase, because there's no way you'll see an actual game populated with multiple characters looking that realistic.

Now, MSFS could potentially display even more realistic clouds right now -- if there was nothing else going on in the game. Then it might be called Microsoft Cloud Simulator. It wouldn't be particularly interesting after the initial "Wow, look at those clouds", but where is the ground and the aeroplanes...

Bringing me to something Noel said about suspecting that Asobo are holding back for performance reasons. Well, yes, that's exactly what developers have to do with every game they create, because you can't have "this here" without losing something in "that there".

And then something else Noel said along the lines of creating the appearance of complexity with the least resources. Again, that's exactly what games developers do: create illusions (except there is often a lot of complexity in the code still). But everything you see on the screen really is illusion. There are limitations and gaps in the magic curtain that you might see through.

You can't avoid limitations of hardware. If you could code round hardware, you wouldn't need new GPUs and CPUs.

And on that point, you need new GPUs and CPUs before you can code for them properly.

Edited by March Hare

29 minutes ago, March Hare said:

That's artificial intelligence. Irrelevant. It won't help the real-time rendering capabilities of contemporary hardware.

You can't avoid limitations of hardware. If you could code round hardware, you wouldn't need new GPUs and CPUs.

And on that point, you need new GPUs and CPUs before you can code for them properly.

Is that a hardware limitation, gpus/cpus on the user side ?,

Edited by icewater5

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

You'll see demos for the latest Unreal Engine showing off their "meta human" rendering, which shows fairly realistic looking human characters (from shoulders up), but it's not a particularly genuine showcase, because there's no way you'll see an actual game populated with multiple characters looking that realistic.

If you want to see realistic looking humans (and more importanly, androids!) - better go play Chicago: Become human Detroit: Become human. IMO that looks quite incredible. At times. But I guess that's not your point. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, icewater5 said:

Is that a hardware limitation, gpus/cpus on the user side ?,

And the developer side. Sure, my brother needed 100GB RAM for a game he was working on, but on the user side you won't need that to run the finished product. But it's still the same CPUs and GPUs in his development systems as you and I.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

If you want to see realistic looking humans (and more importanly, androids!) - better go play Chicago: Become human Detroit: Become human. IMO that looks quite incredible. At times. But I guess that's not your point. 

Their other game, Heavy Rain, had great character models for the time, quite realistic at times (in the cutscenes, when all the gamey stuff doesn't need to run) -- so that wasn't my point, no haha But there sure are some realistic depictions of characters and environments in games, at certain moments 😉

On 7/28/2022 at 11:40 PM, ThomseN_inc said:

Those clouds look awful to be honest!

Whether they are aweful is a matter of taste. Not everybody likes every type of clouds. Much more important is, that they are realistic. There are plenty of real clouds, that look like these.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

Whether they are aweful is a matter of taste. Not everybody likes every type of clouds. Much more important is, that they are realistic. There are plenty of real clouds, that look like these.

They dont look that realistic imho. The lighting and colours is just off....might be the filter used. just my  opinion.

Take a look at the screenshot posted somewhat later which shows a way more real looking sky.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

4 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

They dont look that realistic imho

Look very good to me in SU10!

Iceland-2.png

EKVG-Cruise4.png

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

23 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Look very good to me in SU10!

Iceland-2.png

EKVG-Cruise4.png

Your second shot, what season and time of day is that?

I'd like to know if the odd yellowishness that occurs in lesser light/winter is fixed in SU10?  Could you check Australia cumulus midday please? (without filters)

All of those clouds are blue to me as they should be imo.  Their SU5 to SU9 lighting tends to turn clouds brown in lesser light and the shadows are often way too dark.

like the clouds on the right side of this pic: (which I think were taken before they made shadows even darker)

isupp5J.png

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Some of it is a general issue in the game lighting, it also happens to buildings.
Certain textures can completely change color in the game even with small shifts of lighting (like say 1pm to 4pm).
The shadows tend to mix a heavy yellow or brown bias into whatever color they are shadowing.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram