Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

4 hours ago, Todd2 said:

Yes wasn't sure I'd get any responses haha. 

Reminds me of a thread i started on a forum a few years ago, and about 30 minutes after posting i thought i am seriously not sure i wanted to say that,

and the thing went on for about three months. I suppose thats how social media forums goes sometimes, lol.

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 3

We reached 48 pages guys! Lots more to discuss, I'm sure we'll make it to 100 🙂

(unless the thread gets closed before that)

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

7 hours ago, March Hare said:

...But when I switch to stormy weather, when the simulation is dealing with stronger wind simulation, lightning, rain... the voxels become chunky (lower resolution), very obvious when zoomed all the way in, and antialiasing isn't working so well.

Fascinating and fits with what I see in those types of areas.  It indeed is the chunky quality that needs to be improved substantially I feel and how they respond to light and shadows seems to augment the chunkiness in a bad way.  I hope they can address this piece first, somehow.  As we all well know very often cloud depiction can be quite good, though still lacking in some of the detail we'd like to be able to discern, the wispiness/feathering in particular that you referred to.  Perhaps when you mentioned a complete re-write you were thinking what I wondered about early on in how hamstrung they might be with this model for generating volumetric clouds.  I see layers of more or less flat slices and that does not lend itself to feathering/wispiness, at least it doesn't appear to, yet. 

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

It indeed is the chunky quality that needs to be improved substantially I feel and how they respond to light and shadows seems to augment the chunkiness in a bad way.

Yes these "chunky", lower resolution clouds are the ones that are the most immersion-breaking. In fact they're quite the eyesores compared to surrounding clouds. I do think there's fewer of them around though (SU10 beta). 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

42 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

We reached 48 pages guys! Lots more to discuss, I'm sure we'll make it to 100 🙂

(unless the thread gets closed before that)

Ouroboros

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Time to draw a line on this I think.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather