Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

53 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

This will remain the case until Xbox cloud gaming becomes a thing.

This got me thinking, imagine if Xbox Cloud Gaming makes it so that PC gamers are the bottleneck, and ASOBO must taper their ambitions to make sure things run with the MSFS PC Minimum Specs. 😂 "Oh how the tables have turned."

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

20 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

Since release, the clouds have more parameter, so playing with all these I get the following ones with the current version. To be honest, I can't see the issue vs. your screenshot:

You did not recreate the cirro-stratus shown. Create those and post again.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

19 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

Since release, the clouds have more parameter, so playing with all these I get the following ones with the current version. To be honest, I can't see the issue vs. your screenshot:

It's fine. Tim from REX already told us what the problem is with upper-level clouds. Doubt it will be talked about of course, hoping it will go away and forgotten about. The story of MSFS.

9 hours ago, timest said:

The rendering of upper-level clouds used to be independent of the low/mid-level cloud rendering, which isn't the case anymore. By decoupling the way these layers are rendered we could once again experience these types of cloudscapes. As of now the upper-level clouds are treated the same as low/mid-level clouds, small groupings of puffs. There's no rhyme or reason why this was changed since the SU5 (??) release, but I hope the decision was based on creative advancement purposes rather than performance-related!

3 hours ago, DAD said:

well, I also find weather quite impressing tbh. could it be better? probably. but the immersion already now is high (enough) for me

spacer.png

Another screenshot full of cumulus. I always start a flight with live weather, but if the sky should be full of stratus I have to load Rex WeatherForce to see them.

Nobody can deny the cloud technology in MSFS was groundbreaking and can look great, but where did the cloud types go? 

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

14 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Simple answer: No.

'Simple solution': Asobo to keep adding things so long as they don't break, diminish or remove what is already in the sim.

e.g. I don't want turbulence turned down for everyone, but I do want a slider so that I can control how much my Sting S4 bounces around during 'calm' conditions.

e.g. I want the ability to display all 32 cloud layers of various cloud types in live weather, *if* my PC can handle it. Anyone else happy with/cannot increase on what's available now, could use a numerical value setting which would limit the number of cloud layers.

It certainly sounds simple, but I keep in mind that this program probably has millions upon millions of lines of code, not to mention interrelated programs from multiple companies all running together as one platform.

Keeping in mind the likely complexity of it all, just about every change has the potential to effect something further up or down the chain and cause unexpected issues.

Add in the Legacy FSX code, and to be honest I'm actually astonished sometimes that msfs manages to work as well as it does for the vast majority of people.

The question is, Is it really as trivial a matter as we think, to add all of these different parameters to the program in an effort to cater to the whims of pretty much everyone?

I have my doubts. History seems to indicate that just about anything they do has the potential to adversely affect seemingly unrelated other portions of the SIM.

I suspect it's not nearly as easy as we hope.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Posted (edited)

It looks like serious amounts of processing power ( and code, ai/mathematical calculations etc.) are already moving to central servers and computers, freeing up end user systems. To an extent already but seriously around one year, to a year and a half.

Therefore unprecedented amounts of cloud layering/live weather processing, are easily possible, not all that long.

Surely, this would apply to high end computers all the way to a cellphone.  In which case user performance errors will become pretty much historical.

Xbox is irrelevant to all this.

Edited by icewater5

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

XP12's clouds look terrible

I read this, look at the latest screenshots and videos of XP12 clouds, then hold my hands up how this can be stated. Describing some of the amazing cloud formations currently seen as terrible, is so odd.

We will only know at release of course.

12 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I saw these today about 40% coverage with the high level clouds preset.

sp

Don't believe you.

18 hours ago, lwt1971 said:
19 hours ago, GSalden said:

I have my doubts if we are ever going to see better/more cloud types. Simply because the XBox neeeds to be able to have good performance…

... better/more cloud variety can be currently had with manual weather and presets,

Incorrect. RexWeatherforce creates more cloud types using live weather downloads.  I regularly see solid stratus layers plus excellent depiction of alto/carrot cumulus/stratus.  CB's have better scale too.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Incorrect. RexWeatherforce creates more cloud types using live weather downloads.  I regularly see solid stratus layers plus excellent depiction of alto/carrot cumulus/stratus.  CB's have better scale too.

Read again... yes Rex creates more cloud types than current *live* weather. But I was talking about *manually* configured weather and using manual weather presets. The bottom line being the core MSFS engine is capable of rendering a variety of clouds (which is what Rex would have to use ultimately anyways). The core engine itself could be worse in rendering cirrus now vs pre-SU5, but then that's going to be a problem for Rex too isn't it.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

59 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

But then guess what? Fewer cloud types and layers."

Tell me how you know for a fact this had anything to do with making the sim play nice with Xbox. The xbox update happened at SU5. SU7 was where METAR injection was introduced and this is where the issue started. You are now here talking out of your butt with no evidence saying for a fact it was because of Xbox. This is why you sound silly to me. You don't work at Asobo and they have not told you SU7's cloud issues were introduced to play nice with Xbox. Its just tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory nonsense at this point.

35 minutes ago, spitzer said:

Now Ultra clouds settings is equal to medium clouds settings before xbox release(su5). 

That is complete bull and we have screenshot threads to prove it.

• Upvote 1

i5 11600K. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

A quick hijack; is there a way to use Presets that (randomly) change during flights without manually going through the toolbar option? I generally always fly in Live Weather, but just wondering if the above is possible perhaps with a mod? Thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 minute ago, lwt1971 said:

Read again... yes Rex creates more cloud types than current *live* weather. But I was talking about *manually* configured weather and using manual weather presets

Interesting.  REX must be using the same rendering engine, for example such that the pixel/grid we see depending on lighting/angle would still be an issue?  I'm confused how REX can create more cloud types and if they do, obviously Asobo could too, at least technically so.

Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.185v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 3080 Ti FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, 30 frames vSync to 60Hz.

2 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Read again... yes Rex creates more cloud types than current *live* weather. But I was talking about *manually* configured weather and using manual weather presets

No need to read again - you stated the only way to get these cloud types was by using presets or manually configured weather. I wanted to make it clear RexWeatherforce creates other cloud types with live weather.  

Posters have suggested they can create solid stratus layer at higher levels, but I have yet to see the evidence of this.

3 minutes ago, MarcG said:

A quick hijack; is there a way to use Presets that (randomly) change during flights without manually going through the toolbar option? I generally always fly in Live Weather, but just wondering if the above is possible perhaps with a mod? Thanks

RexWeatherforce has 'dynamic' presets.  For example, you can choose 'approaching cold front' where the weather starts off clear, but over time the weather worsens until it rains.