Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

"I'm so tired..."

"...I don't know what to do.I'm so tired, my mind is set on you.""You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane."Anyone knows the song? ;) Well, this is how I feel today about my relation with FSX. I've been doing so much tweaking and testing during the last weeks (more than three btw!) and I've been going from very happy to very disappointed and now I do not know what to do. I'm tired of tweaking, that's for sure. I have the idea it all could and should have been better but I just can't get it done. I want to give up and forget about FSX completely but at the same time I can't. But FSX just doesn't/can't give me what I want and "I'm so tired... I don't know what to do." I probably expect too much but can't settle for less. "I'm going insane. "You know I'd give you everything I've gotFor a little peace of mind."I think I'm going to play some games that work great and don't require any tweaking... They do exist, you know.

Hang in there . . . I think I was tweaking FS9 up to the point I got FSX. :D At least it keeps me busy. :-)

Take a little solace in that your not alone my friend.Lyrics from another tune you might say fits my mental state... " stuck in the middle with you, here I am, stuck in the middle with you "cheersGreg http://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest DK8290

"I'm so tired...I don't know what to do.I'm so tired, my mind is set on you.""You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane."--------------------------Well at least you haven't started quoted "Happiness is a warm Gun " lryics yet in relation to FSX ...haha

This is the endBeautiful friendThis is the endMy only friend, the end . . . :D

>Well at least you haven't started quoted "Happiness is a warm>Gun " lryics yet in relation to FSX ...haha LOLBTW I'm already over my depression. ('Yer blues' might have been good too earlier this evening...) I just finished a flight to Gardemoen without looking at the average fps and it was quite well... ;) The problems is that after so much tweaking you get fixed on fps and specific details you see (or not). That totally spoils the fun. But now I managed to keep my hands off Shift-Z and I managed to look at the overall picture instead of every tree and every pixel of every texture... and it was good. Well, for the moment... ;)"Who knows how long I've loved youYou know I love you still" :(

That is the spirit !!!I've also come to accept that FSX SP1 is not perfect, but darn good.Once I stopped tweaking and accepted the fact that FSX sometimes does not want to load the detail tiles I'd like to see next, I've had some great flights! Turning the virtual cockpit on hides most of the scenery in front of me anyway :-)The real breakthrough for me was when I stopped repeating the same flight (KSEA takeoff at 10 am) and instead started flying real time and real weather... my jaw dropped at the sunsets and the night textures for suburban areas. I've now turned off Autogen and all Traffic until I can afford a new CPU and am really enjoying FSX. Haven't flown FS9 much lately, in spite of the wonderful addon aircraft and scenery..

Bert

Gardermuen (funny ATC pronouncement in ASX) is actually one of the airports that is quite well done in stock FSX Deluxe version.Combined with Cloud9 Flesland you could have a pleasant flight over the mountains and end up in very scenic aerea in the western Norway. Also there are some nice freewae addons for Norway.I

Guest radivil

>I just finished a>flight to Gardemoen without looking at the average fps and it>was quite well... ;) The problems is that after so much>tweaking you get fixed on fps and specific details you see (or>not). That totally spoils the fun. I deleted my ability to see my frame rate with Shift Z and my enjoyment levels have increased dramatically.Yeah, sometimes it hangs a really long time after selecting a plane or hitting Fly Now. And sometimes it crashes immediately after entering "the plane" at busy airports while all the jetways swing into action. And sometimes while I'm still on the ground it'll crash if I change views. And sometimes when I change views, the screen turns into multi-colored static, locks, then crashes. And a whole slew of texture oddities when I change views while in flight, mainly texture pop-in when going from the cockpit to external.But you know what, I learned how to fly that CRJ-700 pretty good and my logbook doesn't have "Hard Landing" (what I'd put in if I crashed on the runway :D ) any more and "routine flight" has supplanted it throughly. Sometimes I yell at the computer and I've learned to save a lot. But I'm having fun with it once I decided to just live with the issues.

Guest flyingcircus

Oh how I love the tweaking, I really don't know why everyone is knocking it. I thought it was really generous of Microsoft to give us this tweaking addon for free ;) :9

Guest DK8290

:without looking at the average fps:Some crafty programmer needs to write an addon which makes a fake FPS counter which adds 10 fps to the real total ....just to make us feel better ;-) (sortof like a placebo)

Guest PhilC

Actually, I'm surprised that someone has not designed a utility that runs a few hardware tests on your system then sets the proper settings in the fsx.cfg file based on its findings. I sort of thought that was what TweakFPS did but, alas, it just sets the settings according to some preset limits. Not very helpful on my system.And, yes, I realize that I could spend hours,days or weeks figuring it out for myself but I would rather fly than fiddle.

>Actually, I'm surprised that someone has not designed a>utility that runs a few hardware tests on your system then>sets the proper settings in the fsx.cfg file based on its>findings.>Actually, someone has, it is called FSX. If you delete your FSX.cfg it will create a new one with proper settings based upon your hardware.

FSX does a reasonable job at this, but there is not one autodetected setting that sets water to 2.x low, which many of us turn it down / up to. I would have binned this setting with global medium-high.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11