Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

"I'm so tired..."

I have the same love / hate relationship with FSX. The other day when the LDS 767 FSX version came out, I was getting crappy performance. Then, a day or two later is was all going swimmingly for most of a flight I did from KIAD to KLAX, when my FPS dropped into sub-10's on approach and totally ruined the experience. Yesterday, I took the 767 up from KLAX to PHNL and was getting low FPS again, even with autogen and traffic turned off. Half way to PHNL, my TrackIR panning turned to a stuttery mess, despite high FPS, which could only be rectified by quitting the sim and restarting it. Finally, coming in to PHNL with global medium-high settings, FPS dropped to an all time 5-6 FPS on the downwind leg for rwy 08L - I nearly punched the computer screen! But if I reduced the window size to a postage stamp, the FPS crawled slowly back up until it was pegged at 25 again, even when I maximised it ???I then fired FS9 up at PHNL, all sliders right, custom scenery, 95% traffic and AS6.5 weather, spanned display at 3360x1050, LDS 767 VC spread out across the two monitors, and my FPS was pegged at the 40 limit I set!!! And it stays that way from departure through to pulling up at the gate wherever. If FSX could consistently give me HALF this experience I would be happpy, and not at the expense of turning down the sliders so that it looks worse than FS9 does.I'm tired of tweaking and testing this nearly year old program to be so regularly disappointed. I was going to buy a quad core, 8800 system, but I think it will take another generation of hardware again plus the DX10 patch, plus perhaps a miracle breakthrough fix for the whole blurry / stutters / FPS love triangle before I think this version is ready for sustained operations. Until then, it will remain on my hard drive in the experimental section!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

After you've spent most of your savings to buy a new FSX super-computer and your wife says you're ignoring her and you don't love her anymore, try singing this tune to her....Don't I let you wash the truck on Sundays?Don't I warn you when you're getting fat?Didn't I promise to take you fishing?.....someday...A man can't love a woman more than that! That will make it all better...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

So I wonder... would it not be possible to have a switch in FSX, to change the FPS/texture load priority? So that we can in effect switch between the pre-SP1 low frame rates but nice textures, and the post-SP1 reversal? That would suit me down to the ground. New York at decent framerates; but much of the rest of the world in sharp resolution with a hit on rates. I'd be happy to restart the sim, even - just to have the option.I suspect it's not realistic, but it would be a nice solution. The reality for me is that without a blurry fix I want to revert to RTM. But Active Sky and all the rest need SP1. So reverting's not an option. A new PC is a year or more away, since I only upgraded 6 months ago.It does trouble me, that for the first time I can recall (and I've been buying and upgrading PCs for 15+ years) I buy a modern PC (dual core 6600 + 8800 GTS) and get what I regard as pretty poor performance. I wonder, by the time state-of-the-art hardware is cheap enough to give most of us access to FSX in all its glory - won't we be ready to buy FSXI anyway?MS is not the only culprit, mind: NWN2, for those RPG fans amongst you, is a similar disaster if the eye candy is turned up.Ho hum. Back to my 400' ceiling, and more nav tutorials. I can't get upset about the blurries if I can't see outside my cloud!

Paul Skol

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.To the funny farm, Where life is beautiful all the time, And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats, And they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!(-:

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

It's actually a Tweak Simulator, that you can occasionally fly on.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Here are some more Beatles for ya!"I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)A little better all the time (It can't get more worse)I have to admit it's getting better (Better)It's getting better...""Me used to be angry young manMe hiding me head in the sandYou gave me the word, I finally heardI'm doing the best that I can"I'm all over it (for now) and having big fun: blurries all over the place and autogen popping up like crazy, but I don't care. ;) I learned to see the overall picture again and it looks very sweet. I now settled for a setup that allows my to fly with a whopping autogen setting of Very dense and still I get about 20-25 fps almost all the time! How about that! It may drop below 15 here and there but I just don't look at fps anymore. (Yeah, okay, still hiding my head in the sand, but hey... there is plenty of sand in FSX...!!!! :( ) Yes, I'm a autogen-nut: I love to see all those trees and houses down there. I know a lot of people don't like it but I can't get enough of it (really...). Here are some examples off my kind of autogen while turning to final in Geiterygge, Norway.http://i16.tinypic.com/5y9ukyg.jpghttp://i13.tinypic.com/63m9njn.jpghttp://i8.tinypic.com/66ykbde.jpgI think it looks awesome. ;)

In a way, I can understand your reluctance to just give up on FSX.But you should also keep in mind that many of us are still using FS9 and are perfectly happy with it. Our hobbies are to be enjoyed, and you are not enjoying FSX. So you seem to be saying that it's more bother than it's worth, at least that's how I read it. One big difference between you and me is that I love the hobby, and you're just plain frustrated and aggravated with it.My suggestion is to just put it up (like I did) for a year or so, and see if future patches and maybe a new PC will turn it into a sim that we enjoy as much as we now enjoy FS9.I share these thoughts only with the intention of trying to help out.Time to fly... ...DaveDave JonesFort McCoy, Florida USA

Thx for trying to ehlp out! ;) However, I already bought a new PC so that's not going to happen again for a few years. And after seeing what FSX is capable of (even the highres groundtextures alone) there is no going back to FS9 for me, and putting it up is too hard: I just love flying around. ;)But at the moment I am quite satisfied with what I ended up with. Hopefully Ground and Flight Environment will make it all even better without too much fps drops, and when UT Europe will be released I'm sure I'll be even happier. ;)