Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Seeking a retro GA with autopilot

I've been using the excellent Kodiak along with the modded Bonanza, the freeware Savage Grravel and the default C172 as my go-to GA planes recently. However I'm on the lookout for a bit older GA that also has basic autopilot functions. I've been looking at the Aeroplane Heaven Cessna 140 which looks amazing, but I don't think it comes with an autopilot. 

Any suggestions?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just saw this regarding the C140, from the AH website: "'Hidden' modern navigation suite fitted to the cockpit panel for IFR navigation. ( totally optional )". This could mean an autopilot. Any C140 owner that can enlighten me on this?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I never use the hidden functionality in the c140 as its not what the c140 is about for me, but I will check next time I am in game and post back here if no-one else answers.

One slightly older steam gauge aircraft with AP functionality (not quite as old as the c140 though) is the Just Flight Warrior II (the first Warrior II came off the assembly line in 1977, 45 years ago) .  It is well worth checking out, I personally prefer it to the JF Arrow/Turbo Arrow.  Note that the Warrior II AP occasionally glitches in nav mode ( a lot of 3PD aircraft do, I think it is a sim issue) especially if you try and engage it part way through a flight but heading mode and altitude hold work fine even if nav mode is playing up.

JF Warrior II autopilot is bottom left below:

Warrior_MSFS_030321_6_7gE1PMp-EP.jpg?tr=

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

Yes, agreed.  Just Flight Warrior or the Just Flight Arrow iii (not the Turbo Arrow) as far as I'm concerned.  Basic autopilot only and the option from an in cockpit tablet to go Garmin or full nav-frequency only panel (which is what I prefer and @Glenn Fitzpatrick shows on his photo).

They are superb.

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

If you want to step up to a twin, can't go wrong with the Milviz 310 (I say as I am flying it across the atlantic right now). Thats an older GA with an autopilot. The flysimware 414 also has an autopilot, and you can do away with modern avionics if you want. 

1 minute ago, jpe828 said:

If you want to step up to a twin, can't go wrong with the Milviz 310 (I say as I am flying it across the atlantic right now). Thats an older GA with an autopilot. The flysimware 414 also has an autopilot, and you can do away with modern avionics if you want. 

The newly released Beechcraft 18 has an old AP - but coupled with a GPS for nav link if you like that sort of modern stuff

• Like 1

I've got the Turbo Arrow. Not used it much though. Could be just me, but I find the cockpit textures somewhat lacking. 

The Warrior looks good. Did most of my PPL training in a Warrior actually. Not looking for any fancy autopilot - just a HDG and ALT hold will go a long way. 

Heard a lot of good stuff about the Milviz 310. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I've got the Turbo Arrow. Not used it much though. Could be just me, but I find the cockpit textures somewhat lacking. 

The Warrior looks good. Did most of my PPL training in a Warrior actually. Not looking for any fancy autopilot - just a HDG and ALT hold will go a long way. 

I do not think the textures are massively different in the warrior, maybe watch some videos.

I believe they said the textures technique used was done to get the aged look but not everyone likes it.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I do not think the textures are massively different in the warrior, maybe watch some videos.

I believe they said the textures technique used was done to get the aged look but not everyone likes it.

You're right, they're not that different. Here's a few images for comparison:

Warrior: 

UOYVjw9.jpg

Turbo Arrow:

fY3rcDk.jpg

I really like the Cessna 140 though. The art deco look is gorgeous, both internally and externally. 

oh5UZKa.jpg

And it comes with an optional GNS suite which will come in handy on longer flights. 

O857rBd.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

I do like the c140. It is a bit loud and has the occasional oddity with external controllers but it is a sweet thing to fly.

This is typical of what I use it for, just slowly pootling along looking at the scenery:

• Like 1

This was an early Youtube look at the Piper Arrow/Warrior competition from Beech. The later update for the same 35 plane does include pedals and yoke on the copilot's side for instance, and other changes.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have the Carenado (EDIT Aeroplane Heaven) C140. My saitek radio panel does tune the com radios nicely. It also interfaces with the Beech 35 radios too. So do the Piper Arrows. 

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Meanwhile, back at Bella Coola...

I have both the AH c140 and the Carenado c170.

The c170 is quite OK but the c140 is definitely the pick of the two. If I had to choose one to keep it is definitely the c140.

If you do want a Carenado biplane, go with the Staggerwing, aside from an annoying multiplayer sound bug, it is actually quite good. Much better than the c170.

For dirt simple the BR Sim Ercoupe (Engineering Research Company I think it was). Designed to be the world's safest plane.