Sign in to follow this  
flyer47

Why all the fuss

Everyone seems to be interested in what MS has and XP doesn't or via versa. I have been reading the posts that MS is far beyond XP now that they have better planes. Lets not forget that MS has been out about 2 yrs now, and is coming out with all kinds of addons. That's a good thing. XP12 is not even out yet and many people are finding fault with it already. I must admit I prefer XP over MS although I have both on my machine.

When XP12 finally arrives it will have bugs for sure, but to compare a program that is not out yet to one that has been out as long as MS there is really not much of a point. Like comparing a flip phone from 8 yrs ago to a new smart phone. Lets see how things are before it happens.

• Like 3

Time for more popcorn ! 

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I am sure that, for it's own specificities ( flight dynamics, systems and weather modelling ) and within it's own limits given the #{potential users} it'll be at least as astounding as MFS, for different reasons.

I'm on the first line to buy it, and will sabotage the rotors of any heli piloteeee that tries to get in front of me on the purchase queue.... Don't even try ya Mumbai guy.... 🚁

Being multi-platform is always an advantage that gives users of Mac OS and Linux also the chance of accessing the new edition of one the best desktop flight simulators ever made available.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Time for more popcorn ! 

Geez! are you thinking what I'm thinking???  Be sure to get in before the LOCK! 🔓

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 hours ago, flyer47 said:

all kinds of addons

Beautiful sentiments. However, when cold hard cash is being exchanged for said addons (past, present, and future), battle lines are and will be drawn. 

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

6 hours ago, charliearon said:

Geez! are you thinking what I'm thinking???  Be sure to get in before the LOCK! 🔓

I kind of want a new forum section called, "The Arena," or something where people are welcome to just fight about their favorite sims with no limits 😄

To keep on the original topic: I'll never understand the tribalism of it all. MSFS brought me to flight simming and has gotten me seriously interested in aviation, and I'm keeping a close eye on XP12 developments as I find them fascinating/interesting. Whether it will be something I use/buy remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself in it someday, depending on how things look when it releases. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Humpty said:

Time for more popcorn ! 

But why though? no more butter left.

6 hours ago, Dermot McClusky said:

To keep on the original topic: I'll never understand the tribalism of it all. MSFS brought me to flight simming and has gotten me seriously interested in aviation, and I'm keeping a close eye on XP12 developments as I find them fascinating/interesting. Whether it will be something I use/buy remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself in it someday, depending on how things look when it releases. 

Such behaviour is everywhere on the Internet, from video-games down to arguing about which expensive overpriced phone is the best. Companies really do have many of us wrapped around their little fingers in this regard, essentially making us walking adverts for their products. It's important to remember that a lot of the product information we see, articles, posts, videos, etc..  are all designed to sway consumers to buy a particular product. 3rd party developers who are making products for MFS and not X-Plane (and vice versa) also will offer very biased opinions because it's in their interest to do so.

Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion and what they find particularly good about one sim vs the other, the issue comes when that person can't accept somebody else may not agree with their view and what they consider important. e.g. Someone may believe seeing their own house in the sim is super important vs having the plane react to the airflow interruption disturbed by nearby mosquitoes etc....Quite why it gets so heated and personal though is beyond me, they're just games at the end of the day :smile:

Just some common-sense here, if anyone is looking for an opinion about MFS on an X-Plane forum, expect a heavily-biased review and vice versa.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

3rd party developers who are making products for MFS and not X-Plane (and vice versa) also will offer very biased opinions because it's in their interest to do so.

hmmm, that sounds like an easy assumption to make, but I haven't really seen it materialise.

PMDG haven't exactly given MSFS heaps of undue praise, I don't think anyone is under any illusion that xplane is or will be a AAA blockbuster anytime soon.

I ran into a decent gist that reflected a lot of my personal experience in the key differences between the two just this week. Its heavy developer talk and not flight sim specific, but everything in here is likely why I - personally - won't end up devving for ms.

https://gist.github.com/slimsag/c01bb6508e3dfa744bf3bdafa0cfe07f

Even if it does go the distance.

What I do see, (and I do try to avoid myself) is a lot of wrong and untrue statements, and a lot of "defensiveness" - from all isles. But hey, we are all so married to our flight sims our PCs earned themselves the nickname "divorce rigs"... Saying bad things about anothers sim - even when true - sits somewhere between insulting someones wife and "your mum" jokes.

As for XP12 specifically.

I suspect the fuss is mostly because this stuff will "soon" be a reality rather than marketing BS.

Cirrus-SR22-2022-05-31-16.39.27-1024x626

PA-18-150-2022-05-31-16.17.21-1024x627.j

And anyone not worked up into a dizzy fuss about that isnt a real flight simmer imho.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Saying bad things about anothers sim - even when true - sits somewhere between insulting someones wife and "your mum" jokes.

That coming from you is hilarious! You literally had nothing else to do prior to MSFS' release.

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

I suspect the fuss is mostly because this stuff will "soon" be a reality rather than marketing BS.

fak5axxuzc881.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 5

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

45 minutes ago, tweekz said:

That coming from you isl hilarious! You literally had nothing else to do prior to MSFS' release.

I also find "your mum" jokes hilarious. Glad you were entertained. 😇

AutoATC Developer

It's hilarious to me that the XP disciples are so obsessed with MFS. Why that should be I know not? But so it is.

By the way. What's happened to Janov? I miss him.

Edited by jarmstro

13 hours ago, jarmstro said:

It's hilarious to me that the XP disciples are so obsessed with MFS. Why that should be I know not? But so it is.

Is it nor the oppositie? Why are MSFS fans so eager to jump on any xp12 related post to tell us how much better their preferred sim does things, and how much they enjoy it? And then add how much X-Plane sux, how they can’t stand Austin and everyone not agreeing with them is an Austin fan not worth their attention. What reaction do you expect in this forum, Jamstro? 
Lately it is a bit more polite here, but not so long ago we got such trolls over on a daily basis. 

Edited by soaring_penguin
  • Upvote 5

I was just on an MSFS post, where we X-Plane users, apparently, only stick with it, because we are so invested in addons. A bizarre blinkered comment that if true would mean I am also still flying, FS9, FS2000, FS2004, FSX and P3D. I am not, I own both MSFS and X-Plane 11 (soon 12), the simple fact is, that for me, personally (keyword) I prefer X-Plane 11. Others differ but to continually denigrate other's choices says more about the posters own insecurities than it does the intended targets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

28 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

Others differ but to continually denigrate other's choices says more about the posters own insecurities than it does the intended targets. 

I put most of it down to Xplane having a fairly high "setup" cost, compared to MSFS, "click download on your xbox and get a half decent flight sim for $30 a month".

XP12, among everything else should really narrow that gap.

AutoATC Developer