Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

Collapses MD82 landing gear at KMIA

Video of the MD-82 of the Dominican Red Air from Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) to Miami, FL (USA) with 126 people on board, landed on runway 09 in Miami which suffered the collapse of its landing gear.
The MD-82 came to a stop off the runway with a fire developing in the right wing, where a fuel spill occurred.
The plane was evacuated via slides. Three people sustained minor injuries and were taken to hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFNyBUa1H8

The MD-82 of RedAIR Flight 203 which the registration HI1064 had 31.5 years of service.

RedAir began its flights from November 2021 with two daily connections from Las Americas International airport in the   Dominican Republic and Miami International Airport.

From The Aviation Herald website:

"ADS-B Data transmitted by the aircraft suggest the aircraft was on center line of the runway until slowing below 80 knots over
  ground, then veered left, crossed the green between runways 09/27 and 12/30 and taxiways T8 and T taking the glideslope antenna
mast for runway 30 with it and came to a stop just before runway 12/30 "

https://avherald.com/h?article=4fa9f2e8&opt=0

Did you see the guy with his carry on suitcase in the first twitter video. What a jerk stopping to get his bag out of the overhead and risking the lives of others during an emergency evacuation.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Another thing I noticed from the videos is the delayed opening of the front door and the relative slide both with respect to the rear one and to the emergency exit placed on the wing of the plane.

There are those on social media who have timed this delay in about 1 minute and 45 seconds, which seems excessive in such a situation.

4 hours ago, RobPol471 said:

There are those on social media who have timed this delay in about 1 minute and 45 seconds, which seems excessive in such a situation.

I was more concerned by how long it took the fire truck(s) to get there... 😒

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I saw it live from my hotel room, I thought RFF weren’t too bad responding, the right wing had a decent fire going, the aircraft hit a small outbuilding and what looked like glide slope tower, the trucks were able to put it out pretty quickly, what blew my mind was that pax still opened the right over wing exit into a raging fire.

Edited by toucanair

FAA ATP, CASA ATPL(A), MEIR, NVFR, Type Rated: A320, B747,B737, E120, B1900D/C KA350,

Multi Ratings: PA31-350, BE58, C310, PN68, PA44, BE76.

Checked out on: C210, R114, C206, PA28, C172, C152.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.3GHzMemory: 64MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, Multi Monitor.

7 hours ago, n4gix said:

It must be considered that the accident occurred on landing and there was no alert for the firefighters, and it is also necessary to consider the time that has passed and that we do not know, from the warning made by the tower to the firefighters with the information about where the plane was and the distance that the fire brigade vehicles had to travel to get to the plane.

• Like 2

That's not a bad response time given that there was no advanced warning that there would be an incident.  At least there were no deaths or serious injuries.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

12 hours ago, n4gix said:

With no prior warning, I thought it was very quick. Amazed water spraying before truck came to a stop.

58 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Amazed water spraying before truck came to a stop.

Not really  thats  what they  designed  to do

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg