Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

Question Ultimate Terrain

I have Active Sky X and Graphics X with FSGenesis Landclass and mesh. Do I leave all of this on with Ultimate Terrain, or should I drop the landclass and disable some features of Graphics X like roads, since it is obvious UT has its own road features....help please....??thanks Danon O.oh yea, in case someone knows. Ground Enviro which is due out soon, where does this fit in the above feature, if I have Graphics X and UT X, would it be redundant to also have that?thanks again!

I second this question as i am in the same boat and was wondering the same thing.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Well its too late for me to stay up any longer (1230am) so I guess I will check back tomorrow and see if we get any help with this. I am reluctant to purchase yet, as I want to know how it all fits in my picture before doing so. The last thing I want to do is bog down this highly "efficient" piece of software with more than it really needs... :)and to all a goodnightDanon O.

Guest allcott

Have you actually read anything about UT-X? The 89 page preview document explains all this. So we don't have to!Allcott

>>oh yea, in case someone knows. Ground Enviro which is due out>soon, where does this fit in the above feature, if I have>Graphics X and UT X, would it be redundant to also have that?Quote from Flight1's UT page:"note that these are specialized textures and not general texture replacements like our Ground Environment product"

Thank you for the kind positive reply allcott... which could have gone something like....."there is an 89 page brochure about the product here, this might be what you are looking for..."being it was around 1am when I posted, I was quite tired and consequently did not stumble across it. But thank you for always finding the ignorance in people and pointing it out.J van E thanks, I will read up on that, after I dig through the UT info.Danon O.

XGraphics' textures (roads, water, all of them) are fully compatible with UTUSA for FSX. The FSG mesh and UT are a match made in heaven!You will want to read the docs on how to properly layer FSG's land class to work with UT, but I suggest trying with and without - UT is very convincing on it's own.Ground environment is a set of replacement textures. Think of it like this: One layer of scenery is a grid in which each square is given a classification - a "Class" - there is one class scenery for land, and one for water. The class scenery defines what texture goes in that square. FSG replaces the default land class scenery, while UT replaces both the land and water class sceneries (UT is a little more complicated as it also replaces some types of class with much more detailed polygon-based scenery instead of using the more crude class scenery). Products like XGraphics and Ground environment replace the TEXTURES, but do not alter their locations.Hope that helps!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

edit: null and void, we posted at the same time....THANKS for the last 2 posts, just what I needed!Downloading now!D -

Still, some of these addons will do something the other one does too. UTX has it's own watertextures, but so does XGraphics. And so will Flight Environment (to add one to the confusion ;) ). UT has new unique textures/classes and I wonder if they won't be 'erased' eventually by Ground Environment. In places where UT uses standard textures the GE ones will be used in the end.All in all it IS complicated... X Graphics, as the new kid on the block, does try to 'steal away' Flight Environment and Ground Environment users. I think that if you don't want to have double stuff you should pay most attention to XG and FE/GE. I myself am not interested in skies and so on, I'm into ground, so to speak, so my main interest goes out to GE and UT.

Hi All,Please get your "facts" straight.X Graphics is not the "new kid on the block". It is a further development of Active Sky Graphics, which was released with Active Sky 6, a very long time ago. It is now a stand-alone product so that users can CHOOSE which to purchase and use. Before that there were freeware choices dating back to FS2002!We are not trying to "steal away" anything or anyone. People have choices and choices are GOOD. ALL these programs will be able to be used together, and set up in a way that they will not overlap. It will not be confusing or complicated to do this.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest stevehow

Hi Danonthought we'd seen the last of alcott on these forums,i'm sure i'm not the only one sick to death of alcott and her snide comments,was sad to see she was allowed back on here after i think a Ban a short time ago.for every useful post by Alcott,we have 10 nasty ones.personally,i'll be glad when she's permanently gone.... Danon there are good people here who will help.. best wishes steve

I didn't mean that 'steal away' as harsh as you took it. ;)Still, I have read several posts (also elsewehere) which makes it clear that people are confused by all the possibilities, some of which clearly overlap. It may indeed be possible to use them in such a way that they won't overlap but that doesn't mean that out of the box they will NOT overlap. They clearly do here and there, and THAT's what's making it confusing. And this also means we have to pay for stuff we do not really need because other programs already have them (water being one of them: XG has it, UT has it and FE will have it!).However, it is a good thing there is so much choice, ;)

Steve, J van E and ScottThanks so much for your help and insight. I downloaded it, but it was a corrupt download, so I am going on again with another gig. I think this is how I will run it. I will uninstall my FS genesis landclass, and use the water textures from X Graphics. I think perhaps, at least from the screenshots, that the road textures in UT will be more what I am after, so I will disable the road textures within X graphics. However I will be running Active Sky, X graphics, FS Genesis mesh, with Ultimate Terrain in about a half hour, I will post back and let you know how it goes.Thanks again, individuals like you make this place the way it should be, instead of running it into the ground with the "half empty" view.Danon O.

Guest stevehow

hi Danon..definitely go with the UTX road textures..very very nice ,especially Dawn/dusk and Night.Water..has to be Xgraphics.also clouds and skyscapes very very very nice:-) i've been a fan of Hifi for a long time,can't go wrong with them.Mesh from Fsgenesis is best as well..you have it pretty well sown up already..you have the Best of the best ..now we wait for GEX.. best wishes steveshould add performance for me with UTX is amazing

Steve, I think you can blame myself and about three or four others for Allcott's return. We "kind-of" petitioned Avsim that we felt the ban was was precipitous and somewhat without warning, but I think you're right, because the vehemence, the sarcasm, and the lack of common decorum and respect for others seems to continue unabated. There is no reason for it, and so I can't see myself taking her side a second time.It is most unfortunate. I try to see the best in everyone, particularly someone who can help in almost every facet of this hobby; there are always "new guys" and quite often dumb questions from even experienced simmers. Allcott doesn't appear even moderately repentant, and isn't forgiving of any faux pas, particularly from newbies: so the question I have to ask is why should we forgive her for the continuation of this rudeness? We probably shouldn't. Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.