Sign in to follow this  
LRBS

Update Released for PMDG 737-700 for MSFS

Nice!

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

And there was another post that is particularly important to modders out there...and all the folks who've relentlessly bashed PMDG on this topic.   Let's just say your posts were read, they revisited the policy, did some legal work (which was not cheap I can assure you), and revamped the EULA after talking with the folks holding them to that license agreement.

I highly suggest all here who have expressed "concern" (hehe) about how villainous PMDG was about slapping down poor freeware modders just looking to improve our hobby, read the entire post for some insight as to why things were as they were, and the new rules. 

Especially this part...

"There is still a tripwire to beware of, here:
If you are a skilled modder and want to do anything outside of textures/artwork- we do still require that you hit us up for permission before distributing any creation that involves modified versions of our models, sounds or other files. This requirement comes from some complicated case-law in intellectual property that can cause the owner of intellectual property (PMDG, in this case) to lose control of their IP if they are shown not to be defending their ownership of same. The simple way for us to avoid this is to thank you for reaching out, offer you a worldwide, royalty free license to distribute your mod, and off you go. A number of users have done this over the years and it works really simply. "

So in essence, all PMDG was doing was protecting their copyright because if they didn't, they could lose control over their intellectual property... and things like various config files that are just a bunch of text, but govern a bunch of stuff on a virtual airliner (FDE, aircraft.cfg, etc) could literally be stolen by anyone wanting to create their own payware aircraft. 

Here is the link to the full post:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/199722-23jun22-eula-updates-to-make-life-simpler-for-modders-tinkerers

This is huge to the freeware modding world!

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

This just (hopefully) means PMDG will act more like every  other company out there when it comes to modding. Nevertheless, I welcome this change with open arms and am looking forward to seeing other steps they take to bring PMDG to the present time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

And there was another post that is particularly important to modders out there...and all the folks who've relentlessly bashed PMDG on this topic.   Let's just say your posts were read, they revisited the policy, did some legal work (which was not cheap I can assure you), and revamped the EULA after talking with the folks holding them to that license agreement.

I highly suggest all here who have expressed "concern" (hehe) about how villainous PMDG was about slapping down poor freeware modders just looking to improve our hobby, read the entire post for some insight as to why things were as they were, and the new rules. 

Especially this part...

"There is still a tripwire to beware of, here:
If you are a skilled modder and want to do anything outside of textures/artwork- we do still require that you hit us up for permission before distributing any creation that involves modified versions of our models, sounds or other files. This requirement comes from some complicated case-law in intellectual property that can cause the owner of intellectual property (PMDG, in this case) to lose control of their IP if they are shown not to be defending their ownership of same. The simple way for us to avoid this is to thank you for reaching out, offer you a worldwide, royalty free license to distribute your mod, and off you go. A number of users have done this over the years and it works really simply. "

So in essence, all PMDG was doing was protecting their copyright because if they didn't, they could lose control over their intellectual property... and things like various config files that are just a bunch of text, but govern a bunch of stuff on a virtual airliner (FDE, aircraft.cfg, etc) could literally be stolen by anyone wanting to create their own payware aircraft. 

Here is the link to the full post:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/199722-23jun22-eula-updates-to-make-life-simpler-for-modders-tinkerers

".and all the folks who've relentlessly bashed PMDG on this topic".

PMDG's actions have, in my opinion, been unconscionable. If their approach was allowed to stand, it threatened the very concept of modding software by end-users which is a very important part of flight simulation. They deserved to be "bashed", as you call it, and there is zero chance they would have changed their tune if not for a massive pressure campaign.

"I highly suggest all here who have expressed "concern" (hehe) about how villainous PMDG was about slapping down poor freeware modders just looking to improve our hobby, read the entire post for some insight as to why things were as they were, and the new rules."

Steve, that's kind of condescending, just like PMDG tends to be. PMDG are mostly just making up nonsense like they so often do. This issue is copyright. You don't need to enforce copyright to keep it. They're just being grandiose, it is Bobby R writing this so what so you expect? The lawyers who know about this sort of thing seem to think their statement is legally incorrect.

"So in essence, all PMDG was doing was protecting their copyright because if they didn't, they could lose control over their intellectual property"

No, PMDG were being control freaks. That's still there in their DNA, but they've realised that being flight sim's most hated company is actually worse for sales than they thought. You'll notice when reading the forums that a lot of people see through this attempt at damage control and still don't want to ever buy their planes.

This announcement is really just "you can mod our textures, just like every other company including Asobo lets you do, because it counts as fair use and we can't stop it". But being PMDG, there has to be a wall of text, self-important references to their legal team, more insinuations about their "Special Relationship" with Boeing etc etc.

What PMDG should have written:

Written "Sorry, we were stupid, we've changed our EULA now, we'll try and be better".

What PMDG did:

Let Bobby R near a keyboard again (PMDG - how have you not learned that this should never happen??)

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thanks for sharing Steve.  In light of all the work you do, adds to the credibility and reinforces the message.  I've never had any issues with PMDG defending and explaining what they do.  The Internet is a jungle.  

End of thte day you don't need to collect ever aircraft that comes along, just make sure you appreciate and enjoy those that take your fancy and live up to and exceed expectations.

• Like 3

I just fly the plane, man. That's all.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

22 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

".and all the folks who've relentlessly bashed PMDG on this topic".

PMDG's actions have, in my opinion, been unconscionable. If their approach was allowed to stand, it threatened the very concept of modding software by end-users which is a very important part of flight simulation. They deserved to be "bashed", as you call it, and there is zero chance they would have changed their tune if not for a massive pressure campaign.

"I highly suggest all here who have expressed "concern" (hehe) about how villainous PMDG was about slapping down poor freeware modders just looking to improve our hobby, read the entire post for some insight as to why things were as they were, and the new rules."

Steve, that's kind of condescending, just like PMDG tends to be. PMDG are mostly just making up nonsense like they so often do. This issue is copyright. You don't need to enforce copyright to keep it. They're just being grandiose, it is Bobby R writing this so what so you expect? The lawyers who know about this sort of thing seem to think their statement is legally incorrect.

"So in essence, all PMDG was doing was protecting their copyright because if they didn't, they could lose control over their intellectual property"

No, PMDG were being narcissistic control freaks. That's still there in their DNA, but they've realised that being flight sim's most hated company is actually worse for sales than they thought. You'll notice when reading the forums that a lot of people see through this attempt at damage control and still don't want to ever buy their planes.

This announcement is really just "you can mod our textures, just like every other company including Asobo lets you do, because it counts as fair use and we can't stop it". But being PMDG, there has to be a wall of text, self-important references to their legal team, more insinuations about their "Special Relationship" with Boeing etc etc.

What PMDG should have written:

Written "Sorry, we were stupid, we've changed our EULA now, we'll try and be better".

What PMDG did:

Let Bobby R near a keyboard again (PMDG - how have you not learned that this should never happen??)

I do not agree with any of your points, Oz.

I think the explanation given was perfectly reasonable given today's litigation prone society.

I certainly did not perceive any condescension in Steve's message.

Protection of intellectual property is important to those who's livelihoods depend on that IP so again, perfectly normal. 

Nothing PMDG did was out of line. They might have done a better job of documenting that information prior to having a user jump the gun and go out of process, but they found themselves in the position of having to fix an existing situation before they did so. A little embarrassing? Maybe. Malicious? No.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

9 minutes ago, David Roch said:

This PMDG bashing becomes frankly unbearable.
Folks, you don't like the way Rob communicates, don't read him.
If you don't like PMDG's products, don't buy them.
But please, stop your sterile whining on this forum, and why not, sign up for a macrame class and leave us in peace.

It's not just the way that Randazzo communicates, though the overly wordy, grandiose style is unpopular with many.

This is about the actions of the company. They were wrong. People were right to call them out, and calling them out achieved change.

It's not "whining" to hold a company to account, and force them to do better. 

Many of Randazzos comments are also frankly ridiculous, such as claiming that fulfilling a contractual obligation to customers is a "$350,000 community investment". Lol, OK, Bob.

I'll be honest, I'm also more likely to give PMDG a serve when the white knights around here try and shut down the conversation by mocking those who have made valid complaints.

I've also always been clear that I love PMDG's planes, which I've been flying since FS9. Great sim aircraft, made by a company that really does need to listen to the community's feedback and take a good, hard look at itself.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 minute ago, RobF2 said:

In light of all the work you do, adds to the credibility and reinforces the message.

Thanks. I'm not even going to reply to the other posts with differing opinions because they will always think they're right and defend their opinion no matter what.  I was replying back when I trashed the text, saying that I agree that the appearance of what PMDG was doing regarding the EULA, certainly looked like a *ick move, but in my opinion, they were justified and didn't do it out of malice or they were just being "were being narcissistic control freaks".

This topic is a good example of perpetual motion as it will never be fully agreed on by both sides until at least time ends, and maybe a few weeks longer. 🙂 
I'm just not going to try anymore, not worth it.  As you mentioned, the "work I do" is a contribution to this community of more that just words and opinions (not that there is anything wrong with that), and I'm choosing to bow out and get back to that work...in fact I'm getting ready to release repaint 25 on the PMDG 737....been on a P-8 wannabe kick so have been painting them for all the countries that fly them....the RAF is out next.  This one was tough because only the RAF decided they wanted yellow markings and a shadow "RESCUE" arrow.  That took some work to get right. 🤪

s5yfMh.png

I like the Indian version the best so far:  I had to draw the ARK by hand and the Hindi text was a bear too...but in the end I think it was worth it. 🙂

3DDPPq.png

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

6 minutes ago, Bakern said:

Cheers.

Ahh...I see you're from Norway....I already painted your Country's P-8 (well...maybe a P-7.5, LOL).  If you enjoy maritime patrol flying, she's the bird for you. (Love your Country's roundel (emblem)...I had to recreate it from scratch since there seemed to be no exact version of it anywhere... a lot were close, but not what was represented on this bird) 🙂

Y4K1EH.png

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

This topic is about the PMDG update. It appears to have morphed into multiple posts complaining about PMDG’s actions in protecting their copyright. Those people have said plenty on that subject. Time to draw a line and stick to the topic title.

Any further posts referring to copyright will be hidden.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather