Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

Rob A is leaving flightsim

43 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

Aw, he will be back. Wait until the cost of RW flying sinks in.😂

That was my problem 50 years ago! Flying was affordable, then the Insurance companies stepped in and demanded CFI checks every 3 months and more than the legal requirement of minimum hours. So in the end, I gave it up (also got married, which didn't help).😉

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

We have had historical weather with Activesky for probably 10 to 15 years.  In all that time I think I have used it once to fly through a hurricane.  Having said that I fully understand the usefulness for some users.  It seems like a very simple upgrade for Asobo and nobody is asking for them to keep data on historical weather forever, even 7 days of historical would probably address 98% of the community needs.

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 5

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 minute ago, MarkW said:

7 days of historical would probably address 98% of the community needs

I really doubt that. I like to re-enact flights I did years ago. I believe AS has the data stored for back to August of 2014 or so.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

I really doubt that. I like to re-enact flights I did years ago. I believe AS has the data stored for back to August of 2014 or so.

I said 98% because most simmers want to adjust the time to match the time of flight rather than their local time.  If I want to fly morning departure at EGLL but I live in a North American time zone then changing back the time by 5 hours is what I understand most people want to do.  Yes there are edge cases where people want to go back much further in history.  If Asobo truly have data back to 2014 and data storage and retrieval is a non issue then I really don't understand why they don't implement it.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

By AS I meant Active Sky, or HiFiSim.

I think it's really difficult to say what "most" simmers want, or what are the "edge cases". It probably also differs from sim to sim.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Rob is a great friend, I speak to him daily.

He is doing well, he has his reasons for leaving.. people should respect other humans decisions without judging. This is a hobby after all, not a profession or a public political position like a prime minister or something like that...

The equivalent would be criticising someone for deciding to give up golf to try something else such as fishing? does it matter why? people change interests in life and after all it is their life isn't? we all have the right to do wherever we want with our time.

R.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

I remember when Rob first showed up on the flight sim scene.  He has always been a person whose opinion I respected.  In his post he stated he was putting flight sim on "hold", hopefully he'll be back.  

I wish him nothing but the best and good luck in his real world flying.  🙂

Edited by BlueStar
  • Like 2

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Sometimes you just need a break

• Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

30 minutes ago, simbol said:

Rob is a great friend, I speak to him daily.

He is doing well, he has his reasons for leaving.. people should respect other humans decisions without judging. This is a hobby after all, not a profession or a public political position like a prime minister or something like that...

The equivalent would be criticising someone for deciding to give up golf to try something else such as fishing? does it matter why? people change interests in life and after all it is their life isn't? we all have the right to do wherever we want with our time.

R.

I don’t see anyone criticizing his decision here, just trying to read between the lines since nothing interesting is happening in the P3D space at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I don’t see anyone criticizing his decision here, just trying to read between the lines since nothing interesting is happening in the P3D space at the moment.

Someone called him Sad.. among other comments that were removed.. 

S.

Just now, simbol said:

Someone called him Sad.. among other comments that were removed.. 

S.

Ah, I missed that. 

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Perhaps you never fly outside your country so historical weather is not a factor. Insulting those who find it useful / indispensable is unlikely to win you any friends. Why not just accept many find it extremely helpful in recreating accurate weather for a given time.

Lets try and keep things on topic please Ray, lest this thread gets locked. This is about Rob A, not weather. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Rob is living the dream, flying Real Planes!!!!.  Man, his scenery graphics from his cockpit will be epic!!! I absolutely understand on where he is coming from.  I wish him all the best.  

I just hope he makes a flight up to east coast, I do owe him and @simbol few rounds of beers.

To be honest, even my simming is in complete holding pattern for like 6 months, I do eventually want to get PPL (at that stage, real plane wins over simulator all the time).

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I'm sorry, but if you want to accurately simulate real-world flights then historical weather is a must, unless you only do flights in real-time.  You need a full year of historical weather data to include every season.  For example, sometimes I like to simulate flights made during a season or date different from the current one, and with historical weather I can go back to the most recent desired season/date and do that.

Of course, if you don't care about that then I can understand how it may not be an important feature for you.

Dave

• Like 2

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Interesting. One of the major conversations concerning flight sims is reality then people want historical weather. Kind of an oxymoron. 

Go to your local airport, rent a plane and ask if they have historical weather available. 😁

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals