Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Reinstallation of MSFS 2020 - Which Version?

I have just completed my CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrades and have a fresh version of Windows 11 installed. When I open the XBox App it shows MSFS, MSFS Premium Deluxe and Premium Deluxe GOTY Version. Which one do I install?

I would have thought the Premium Deluxe GOTY version but I am not sure

Thanks

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I installed GOTY, no problems. If you install the basic MSFS, the others that you own will show up in Content Manager with the option to install.

• Like 2

Rob Jones.

5 hours ago, jonesrob said:

I installed GOTY, no problems. If you install the basic MSFS, the others that you own will show up in Content Manager with the option to install.

Thank you, 

I just did the same and it worked perfectly

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

A day late and a dollar short but I am assuming you had a version of MSFS before your upgrade? 

2 hours ago, AOB said:

A day late and a dollar short but I am assuming you had a version of MSFS before your upgrade? 

Yes I own the Premium deluxe version,

It was actually super easy, I moved the community & official folders (credit to another Avsim member) to a different location on the same drive, uninstalled MSFS 2020 then after I had installed windows and done all the upgrades etc I moved the community & official folders back to their original location and installed the sim from the XBox App, it literally took less than 5 minutes and I was up and running again.

Now I have to tweak settings to see what I can squeeze out of my new rig. Tomorrow I am going to try Hyperthreading off, so far all I have done is enabled the XMP 1 profile. I am, pretty happy so far. I thought my EVGA 3080TI was a beast, this i7-12700K is a monster lol. 

• Upvote 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Hi. I have to reinstall.

Do you copy Packages folder and after install again the sim?

You said that you put the folder before installation in your original location, but that location doesn´t exist before installation , isn´t it?

Regards.

2 hours ago, sudqui said:

Hi. I have to reinstall.

Do you copy Packages folder and after install again the sim?

You said that you put the folder before installation in your original location, but that location doesn´t exist before installation , isn´t it?

Regards.

I followed the procedure below, it was super easy:

1) Move the community and official folders to another folder (preferable on the same SSD, that'll be quicker). 

2) Delete MSFS from either Steam menu or Microsoft store. 

3) Move the community and official folders back to where you want the sim installed (I've got it set for D:\MSFS).

4) Reinstall MSFS. Important: Choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders. Installing the sim from should only be ~1Gb.

5) When starting the sim for the first time, it might ask for a folder to install some updates. Choose the folder that you installed the sim to. It will do some syncing during first load, but once you reach the main menu, everything should be there. 

Graphics settings might have to be adjusted, like choosing full screen etc, but all the controller settings is linked to your Xbox account.

If you're using Addons linker keep in mind that the settings (presets etc) are stored here: C:\ProgramData\MSFS Addons Linker

Backup that folder and copy it back after. 

Edited by RJC68

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

3 hours ago, sudqui said:

Hi. Thanks. It is a very complete explanation. Regards.

You’re very welcome,

I do however need to give full credit to Cpt_Piett who posted this procedure on another thread.

Edited by RJC68

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

I do however need to give full credit to Cpt_Piett who posted this procedure on another thread.

…and I have to credit it to @Fielder

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

On 6/25/2022 at 4:01 PM, RJC68 said:

I followed the procedure below, it was super easy:

1) Move the community and official folders to another folder (preferable on the same SSD, that'll be quicker). 

2) Delete MSFS from either Steam menu or Microsoft store. 

3) Move the community and official folders back to where you want the sim installed (I've got it set for D:\MSFS).

4) Reinstall MSFS. Important: Choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders. Installing the sim from should only be ~1Gb.

5) When starting the sim for the first time, it might ask for a folder to install some updates. Choose the folder that you installed the sim to. It will do some syncing during first load, but once you reach the main menu, everything should be there. 

Graphics settings might have to be adjusted, like choosing full screen etc, but all the controller settings is linked to your Xbox account.

If you're using Addons linker keep in mind that the settings (presets etc) are stored here: C:\ProgramData\MSFS Addons Linker

Backup that folder and copy it back after. 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:55 AM, RJC68 said:

Yes I own the Premium deluxe version,

It was actually super easy, I moved the community & official folders (credit to another Avsim member) to a different location on the same drive, uninstalled MSFS 2020 then after I had installed windows and done all the upgrades etc I moved the community & official folders back to their original location and installed the sim from the XBox App, it literally took less than 5 minutes and I was up and running again.

Now I have to tweak settings to see what I can squeeze out of my new rig. Tomorrow I am going to try Hyperthreading off, so far all I have done is enabled the XMP 1 profile. I am, pretty happy so far. I thought my EVGA 3080TI was a beast, this i7-12700K is a monster lol. 

Hi. When you say choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders, the simulator must be installed in that location where the official and commnunity files are?

or you mean that they should be installed on the same disk. 

Regards.

27 minutes ago, sudqui said:

Hi. When you say choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders, the simulator must be installed in that location where the official and commnunity files are?

or you mean that they should be installed on the same disk. 

Regards.

Sim needs to be installed in folder with community and official. E.g. my folder structure is D:\MSFS\Community. So I pick D:\MSFS when I need to reinstall.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

hello. I just don't understand this step.
when I start the simulator for the first time after reinstalling I get a path to follow to update and it is the one that comes out by default, that is, users/user/ etc... in unit c/
what should i put? i have packages folder in which i have community and official in c drive.
Thank you

And another thing that happens is that when I open the simulator I get a window that says that this PC does not meet the minimum requirements and that errors could occur.
Could it be because it has a GT710 secondary graphics card? I use a lot of screens. My requirements are RTX3070, 32 RAM, ryzen 9 3900x.
What should I do?
Greetings.

Indeed, I disabled the gt710 and it no longer tells me that it does not meet the minimum requirements. It is now downloading the remaining 98.95gb again. What I don't quite understand is that the packages folder saved me reinstallation time. Greetings.