Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Black Square creating Steam Gauge Overhaul series

Just Flight have just the Black Square dev team are creating a series of Steam Gauge Overhauls for stock MSFS planes.
https://www.justflight.com/articles/black-square-steam-gauge-overhaul-series-in-development

The first two are the C208 Caravan and the King Air 350 and not only include replacing the G1000 display with steam gauges (with options for not just the Usual PMS and TDS GTN750s but also a custom and complete implementation of the KNS-80 RNAV Navigation Computer) but also "small aerodynamic improvements" ,updating the engine dynamics and overhauling the electrical systems to make all controls and CBs functional.

These aren't going to be cheap, £22 for the C208 and £28 for the KA350 but if that can can deliver "study-level add-ons" I think they'll likely be worth every penny.

No word on when these will be available yet (or if they'll be available for XB) but it doesn't sound like it will be long and there's a strong impression that if these are a success there are plan for updates for more planes - a study level steam gauge C172 anyone ?

Well this is certainly an interesting turn of events.  Reminds me a bit of the REP treatment for XP.

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

49 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

Well this is certainly an interesting turn of events.  Reminds me a bit of the REP treatment for XP.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking though swapping the wear and tear system of the REP for revamping the instruments and avionics.

It sounds like a great idea but is quite expensive. The KA350 version costs more than the SWS Kodiak yet it uses the default exterior model (so no doors, wheel chocks etc.), the default sounds and the default flight dynamics from the Adobo KA350.

However, I‘m looking forward to the first reviews once it is released.

Edited by Tim-HH

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

15 minutes ago, Tim-HH said:

It sounds like a great idea but is quite expensive. The KA350 version costs more than the SWS Kodiak yet it uses the default exterior model (so no doors, wheel chocks etc.), the default sounds and the default flight dynamics from the Adobo KA350.

There's a suggestions there are small adjustments to the pure flight dynamics ("small aerodynamic improvements") and if they can fix turbine engine modelling that could also have a significant change.

This is most interesting. There are several stock aircraft that I don't like flying just because so many of them are glass display's. Will be watching to see how this plays out. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

5 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

There's a suggestions there are small adjustments to the pure flight dynamics ("small aerodynamic improvements") and if they can fix turbine engine modelling that could also have a significant change.

That‘s true. But „Improved turbine dynamics“ does not sound as if they were able to fix the broken turbine engine modelling.

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Analogue king air with TDS GTN support?  

I'm in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

from the KingAir manual:

"Improved turbine dynamics (ITT, TRQ, Ng, Fuel Flow, Inertial Separator), battery charging circuity, and load shedding"

I like the sound of this as I fly the caravan a lot, but £22 per aircraft seems quite expensive, when I can buy a whole new aircraft for £30.

If this was priced at £15 or lower I would be in without hesitation 

• Like 1

My biggest concern is this statement.  Hopefully they can resolve this.

“Unfortunately, it is not possible to drive the stock MSFS autopilot system with a custom navigation source without implementing a whole new autopilot (to the best of my knowledge). It is recommended that you simply steer the autopilot via the heading bug with reference to the RNAV course deviation shown on the CDI.”

• Like 1

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

5 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

My biggest concern is this statement.  Hopefully they can resolve this.

“Unfortunately, it is not possible to drive the stock MSFS autopilot system with a custom navigation source without implementing a whole new autopilot (to the best of my knowledge). It is recommended that you simply steer the autopilot via the heading bug with reference to the RNAV course deviation shown on the CDI.”

I think that might just refer to the custom KNS-80 AP they've modelled. It seems that lateral navigation with the PMS or the GTNXi is possible.

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

18 minutes ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

I think that might just refer to the custom KNS-80 AP they've modelled. It seems that lateral navigation with the PMS or the GTNXi is possible.

Perhaps, but that statement was also listed in the HSI section.  If it can work with the pms50 gtn wtt version then I’m good.

Edited by Gilandred

Gary

Give me a study-level King Air with analog gauges and I doubt I'd fly anything else.  Definitely intrigued.

• Like 2

Richard P. Kelly