Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Freeway Traffic

Guest makindle

Since SP1, I have started playing more in FSX since my system can see much of the eye candy without a huge perf hit.Anyway, while flying over Houston in the FS Baron I noticed that the traffic (set at 100%) was moving pretty fast. So I clocked it over Interstate 10 by matching its speed from spot view. It appeared to be moving at 78 to 80 kia which I think translates to over 90 mph (correct?).Living here (Houston) I realize that there are some very "hurried" drivers but I don't think it is this bad.... ;-)Cheers,MK

Guest tmilton

Seems about right.Lot of reckless drivers on the streets of FSX. :)

There is a way of reducing the speed of traffic in FSX (or there was with the demo anyway) but I can't remember at the moment how it's done.

Guest Len

>There is a way of reducing the speed of traffic in FSX (or>there was with the demo anyway) but I can't remember at the>moment how it's done.Yes I wanted to know that too. The traffic is moving way to fast. I know there was a way in the demo but I have'nt seen the entry in the cfg file for FSX.

Guest makindle

>What was your ground speed?-that would be what you would need>to know the relative speed of the cars-indicated airpspeed or>even your true airspeed would not be enough.>>The speeds you give however are the typical speed in the>Detroit area :-lol.>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgNot sure of my ground speed at the time but I was no more than 100 feet above the traffic if that matters. This definitely was not a "scientific" experiment and I just wondered if anybody else thought the traffic was moving a little too fast. If it moved this fast in real life it would not take me an hour to drive the 20 miles to my home from the office."FS Traffic Jam" would be "as real as it gets" in the Houston area... ;-)Cheers,Monte

There was a fix mentioned on the forums somewhere here. Just not sure where at the moment.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest weeniemcween

Found the fix for slower traffic. Haven't tested it yet to see if it still works but here it is. Credit goes to GrayGB:"Hi All:go to: C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorApplication DataMicrosoftFSXDemoLWcfg.XMLEdit this file at the bottom line as shown here:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?>- Lists objects and settings to be used by living world featuresLWSettings.xml- - - - Use 50 here; default of 100 was too fastHope this helps!GaryGB"

Guest Speed

Ill try that although while searching for the solution at the same time I found the max mph setting in the sim.cfg file for each vehicle in fsx/simobjects/groundvehicles/veh_....Testing your solution first altough maybe it would be interseting to have them at different speeds.

Guest weeniemcween

Well the full version format is spb not xml. But I'm guessing you can decompile it using spb2xml.zip, then recompile it using an sdk tool - not at that step yet. I'm gonna try it.

Guest weeniemcween

Okay, I just decompiled lwcfg.spb to xml format with spb2xml, changed all the freeway trafficspeed values to 50 instead of 100 using notepad, then recompiled it with the sdk core utility simpropcompiler using this command. lc0277 over at fsdeveloper is the source:simpropcompiler 2spb -symbols X:FSXpropdefs*.xml LWcfg.xml LWcfg.spb I actually just copied all the files I needed and the propdefs directory into my hard drive's root, so I wouldn't have to mess with long ~1 dos paths. The new file is the same size as the original in Application DataMicrosoftFSX (there's also a backup in the fsx main directory, but I assume fsx uses the former one). Testing it now...

Guest weeniemcween

Alright guys. I tested the file by racing some freeway traffic with the trike and the automobiles are now going roughly 60mph (edit: make that 67mph), which is about right. Here's the file if you want to try it out. Scanned for bugs and so forth. Again, put it in the same directory as your active fsx.cfg. http://files-upload.com/286740/lwcfg.spb.html Ideal would be different speeds for different road types now that we have Ultimate Terrain. Also some craziness on the Autobahn! :) NEW EDIT: Um, I just tried switching the file back to make sure there was a difference and there isn't. I even tried copying the alternate in the fsx main directory. So... I'm thinking the op may have overestimated. On my system the speed seems close to correct for highways at least, maybe a bit fast.

Your file worked fine. Too bad we can't have a few freight trains moving along the tracks.

Once you are in the air-you are a part of the airmass. Therefore, your groundspeed is what you need to calculate the speed of the cars-not your indicated airspeed. Would suggest you use the groundspeed readout on the gps and not your indicated airspeed to truly find the speed the cars are going, and if they are going too fast.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Hi,A couple of weeks ago, I post a "quick and dirty" method to reduce AI ground vehicles and boats speed, waiting for a more thorough one by the gurus.The post was the following: (in this forum)402021, "adjusting ground vehicles and boats speed"Hope this helpsRegardsFulvio