Sign in to follow this  
Rasta_Dude

P3D v5 "Computer has run out of memory" on startup

Hello,

since 1-2 days I have the issue whenever I start P3D v5 I get following message on the startup screen (before the main menu opened): "Your computer has run out of available memory. Please restart Prepar3D and select different graphics, scenery, or traffic settings." (see screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/Ej3sXrn ).

I don't remember that I have anything changed on my system or P3D settings which produces such an error. The only things I did was updating AIG AI traffic, I updated all existing airlines where there was an update available how I always do it and installed a new add-on airport. The airport is already ruled out because I removed it again and it still doesn't work. My settings in P3D are the same and I didn't change anything on my Windows page file settings (it is automatically managed by Windows). Also can't see any high activities in Task Manager when the error comes up on P3D startup. I highly suspect AIG Manager in this case to be the culprit because this was the only thing I did which can maybe cause something like this but I'm not sure.

When the error comes up I have no entries in Windows Event Viewer. Already cleared my shaders folder a few times and started the sim without my "Prepar3D.cfg". Launched "sfc /scannow" in commandline as administrator (it found and repaired errors but didn't solve the issue with P3D). Next step I'd like to try is to repair different components of the P3D v5 installation and see if it helps.

Recently I read somewhere that this behavior can also occur when the default flight file is corrupted. How can I repair the default flight?

My P3D v5 version is v5.3.17.28160
Windows 10 Pro (x64) version 21H1
(rest of components in signature)

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Adrian

Edited by Rasta_Dude

Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (no OC)
Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 AMP! Edition (8 GB VRAM)
Kingston SK Hynix 64 GB DDR4 RAM (4 x 16 GB)
Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVMe SSD

33 minutes ago, Rasta_Dude said:

The only things I did was updating AIG AI traffic, I updated all existing airlines

This.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

You can't repair a flight. Just delete it and save a new one.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Usually removing prepar3D.cfg should put your settings to default and mostly it will start then. You say you did this. So there must be something even active on the default airport and plane. As far as I know, at Randolph Airbase there is no traffic. Since you have 64 GB RAM, but 8GB VRAM, I guess it is the video, means textures. Did you change some textures or settings? Sat scenery like ORBX TrueEarth products are definitely a heavy load for a 8GB card. If you´re then at a large airport scenery, this happens.

Maybe something is wrong with the hardware. Can you test memory? Maybe run a systemviewer, NVidia settings has one, and look, how much RAM and VRAM are shown there. Or start another game to see if this works. Did you tweak something in BIOS?

• Like 2

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I really don't understand this behavior of the sim at the moment. I did nothing expect those things I mentioned and after a few tests it still does not start, always with the same dialog on my screen. I don't even get to the main menu / scenario screen. Everything was fine and I never had this message in P3D before. Except P3D everything (games / programs) working fine on my PC.

- I disabled / removed all Add-Ons (also AIG traffic)

- repaired each component of the P3D v5 installation

- deleted generated files (%localappdata%, %appdata%, %programdata%)

- reset Nvidia Control Panel settings for P3D

- checked RAM and other components for errors (nothing found, capacities are shown correctly)

Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense but I'd like to try if anything changes when I update my graphics driver. Since v516.40 has issues with P3D currently do you know if v512.95 is safe to use and working? At the moment I'm still on v512.15.

Thanks!

Regards

Adrian

Edited by Rasta_Dude

I am using 512.96 with no problems, so should be safe for you to try.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

19 hours ago, Rasta_Dude said:

I disabled / removed all Add-Ons (also AIG traffic)

Did you also try to move all your Prepar3D v5 Addons folder and the Prepar3D v5 Files folder to the desktop, so Prepar3D can't read it on startup?

If not, delete generated files again, move these folders somewhere else, e.g. Desktop, where you can get it back again. You can also try one by one. Maybe the problem is in files, maybe in addons. 

• Like 1

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thanks Ian, I installed the driver and unfortunately it didn't solve the issue but everything else works as it should. I will try a scenario later in P3D to look if everything's fine there.

Also thanks blaunarwal, I moved all relevant folders (AppData, ProgramData, Documents: Add-Ons & Files) to a new location on the desktop and used 'delete generated files' but couldn't solve the OOM unfortunately. I regenerated all files within this folders by P3D. Over the weekend I checked a few more things out to at least find out if it's a P3D/Addon issue or if it comes really from my system. Set a fix page file size of 4096 MB, updated BIOS version, updated and checked drivers, checked my SSD again and a few more things. And finally recently I got P3D to start again. I went for a full reinstallation and now it works again without addons. Now I'll try to carefully reintroduce every addon or a few elements at once back to the simulator to see if anything causes problems or triggers the OOM again.

It could be AIG Manager that caused the issue because I updated few airlines before it occured as Luke suspected too but since I disabled AIG completely for testing it makes no sense for me anymore. Do you know if AIG changes any important files inside the P3D root directory which can cause such OOM's? I mean anything must have caused the issue inside the P3D root folders which is now gone through the full reinstallation of the sim.

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Adrian 🙂

Edited by Rasta_Dude

Small update:

After adding some files and folders again it seems like a file called "USEnglishBigAIG.gvp" is the culprit and looking at the name it seems like it's indeed from AIG. This must be the file which was updated last time and caused the conditions for my OOM's. P3D has this file per default but in this case it's called "USEnglishBig.gvp". The location of the file(s) is under ...\Prepar3D v5\Sound\ATC ( https://imgur.com/a/rN56Uol ).

I still don't know how important this file is for AIG traffic to work properly or what it does exactly but it's definitely not good placed there or the content is wrong or corrupted somehow. I recognized the AIG version of the file is around 18 MB smaller than the P3D default one.

Actually it makes me quite uncomfortable now to use AIG Manager when things like this happen.

@Kaiii3 Maybe you can help here or tell me if and what I messed up with my AI traffic which caused this file to OOM my sim before even starting. I just updated few AI airlines like I always did it in the past. Thanks! 🙂

Regards

Hi Adrian

I have this file USEnglishBigAIG.gvp too. It is in Prepar3d v5\sound\atc and I have it since May 5th. I have no problems and it seems I updated AIG last on May 29th.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Remove the AIG file, rename the other to .gvp

Try againt works start AIM and run a verify setup

• Like 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

Already after starting AIG Manager it regenerated the .gvp file but this time with the same file size as the default file, so it seems the other file which caused OOM's was corrupted. Now everything works again. I verified the setup of AIG anyway.

Big thanks to all of you!

Regards

Adrian 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 2:13 AM, blaunarwal said:

Usually removing prepar3D.cfg should put your settings to default and mostly it will start then. You say you did this. So there must be something even active on the default airport and plane. As far as I know, at Randolph Airbase there is no traffic. Since you have 64 GB RAM, but 8GB VRAM, I guess it is the video, means textures. Did you change some textures or settings? Sat scenery like ORBX TrueEarth products are definitely a heavy load for a 8GB card. If you´re then at a large airport scenery, this happens.

Maybe something is wrong with the hardware. Can you test memory? Maybe run a systemviewer, NVidia settings has one, and look, how much RAM and VRAM are shown there. Or start another game to see if this works. Did you tweak something in BIOS?

Problem solved. The simplest way i found to quickly get P3D running again was renaming the file Prepar3D.cfg to for example Prepar3Dxxxxx.cfg.  This file can be found on folder  AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.   As soon as you restart Prepar3D.exe, it generates a new Prepar3D.cfg with default values.   Now it will be possible to paciently compare the old file with the new one and find out which parameter could make it run out of memory.  In my case it was just excess details on scenery as i don't use a so large memory.  After correcting the original Prepar3Dxxxx.cfg i deleted the new  generated file and renamed the old one Prepar3Dxxxxx.cfg back to Prepar3D.cfg.

Josias Martins Jr