Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Why I selected the Steam version of MSFS

Two reasons, 1) based on my experience with FSX Steam, and 2) because I don't use XBox and have no plans to ever play games on console devices. I already had a PC, so for me, I preferred to keep it simple by sticking with desktop and laptops.

I opened an account on Steam before P3D v4 came out, and when I kept getting data errors re-installing FSX after buying a 2nd copy of the retail versions of FSX on CDs (maybe it was DVDs?).  Coincidentally, Steam happened to have a version of FSX Steam on sale at that time too.  For about $7.00.  It was a no brainer.

Btw, today, as of June 2022 FSX Steam is on sale again. This time for $4.99.

FSX Steam for $4.99 - The Bargain Hunter's Shack - The AVSIM Community

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

FSX:SE is definitely convenient and worth picking up at that price even if you hardly use it anymore, like me. I just might pick up another copy for my secondary PC and Steam account for some LAN flying. I would still prefer my DVD version though. If I remember right, it was awhile ago I looked all this up after I could not run some add-ons.. Some add-ons that use older? versions of simconnect will not work with FSX:SE. I had many utility add-ons from flight1 like Instant Mission Maker, Instant Scenery, ect. They do not work with FSX:SE. 

I bought the Steam version of MSFS mainly because I am more familiar with it and most of my game library is already there. 🙂 

Edited by reignman40
  • Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

19 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

FSX:SE is definitely convenient and worth picking up at that price even if you hardly use it anymore, like me. I just might pick up another copy for my secondary PC and Steam account for some LAN flying. I would still prefer my DVD version though. If I remember right, it was awhile ago I looked all this up after I could not run some add-ons.. Some add-ons that use older? versions of simconnect will not work with FSX:SE. I had many utility add-ons from flight1 like Instant Mission Maker, Instant Scenery, ect. They do not work with FSX:SE. 

I bought the Steam version of MSFS mainly because I am more familiar with it and most of my game library is already there. 🙂 

Better get used to OOMS again. 😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Will it be possible to use an MS account to login into an MFS license bought through Steam ?

I wouldn't mind trying that too, but I have all my settings / achievements attached to my MS Account.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, reignman40 said:

...I would still prefer my DVD version though...

I hope you have more luck installing FSX from optical disks than I did. I spent so much time trying to re-install from DVD without success. From buying a second copy of retail FSX, converting the DVD to ISO and other methods, testing the DVDs for errors, to installing a few 3rd party software to slow down my PC or the read speed of the optical drive to re-installing at least three different types of spare CD/DVD drives on the PC hoping FSX would finally install. It wouldn't. Either the PC was just too fast or there was other software or driver installed in the PC that was incompatible with the DRM on the DVD. 

I finally gave up. Fortunately, FSX Steam was on sale, and I was very pleasantly surprised how easy installing the Steam version was. And that, was also the last time I had floppy, tape (for backup), and CD/DVD ROM drives in my main desktop PC.

Maybe I got lucky, but OOMS was not an issue for me with FSX SE.  Configuring and optimizing FSX and running it just right without running out of virtual memory was like a balancing and juggling act which was another hobby in itself.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I am not really sure what this topic is all about...

• Like 2

Initially I struggled to choose between the steam/MS Store version. I chose the steam version and later I regretted not getting the store version. 

I fly mainly on the PC but I also have a xbox series X. The addons that you purchase on the marketplace can be shared between the MS Store Version and the XBOX version. With Steam on the other hand, addons can only be used within the steam version. Luckily for me, I already had gamepass so I got the Store version for free. I now make all my addon purchases via the store version. Unfortunately, I had to repurchase a few addon that I previously bought in steam.

When I go on a weekend getaway or long vacation, I throw my xbox and thrustmaster hotas in my suitcase to do some leisure flying. It is like having a second portable PC that can run the SIM at 4k 30fps. Some people don't even know you can attach a mouse and keyboard to the xbox.

For me the MS Store version is much better because I get to share my addons between PC and XBOX.

• Like 2

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB