Sign in to follow this  
BobP

FSM Moving Map in FSX

Surprised to find that although Rana Hossain's FSM Moving Map has not been revised for FSX, it still works fine. Not even necessary to reinstall or reconfigure in any way, if you have it in FS9. Just install the new FSUIPC4, v4.11 for FSX SP1 and go fly.It does not integrate with the new-style FSX kneeboard, but there is an even better way to get an in-flight map view. Download one of many free utilities to toggle a window to be always on top (example http://www.fadsoft.com). Use it to set the FSMMM window on top and it will provide a kneeboard-like dynamic map display that is still visible while FSX has focus and is running. Unlike the kneeboard, the map window is resizeable. When it still gets in the way, it can be minimized or toggled to the background.FSMMM also shows the positions of nearby AI traffic. But the real beauty is that it works not only with sectionals, WACs, enroute charts, and terminal area charts, but with road maps, topo maps, Forest Service maps, overhead photos -- anything with lat/lon markers for calibration. Maps can be switched in flight or set to automatically switch, as from sectional to terminal when entering a terminal area.IMHO, FSMMM remains one of the most useful and enjoyable freeware add-ons ever. The documentation is excellent and many pre-calibrated map files from Matt Fox and others are in the Avsim library.Here's to a job well done, Rana, if you are still in touch.

Hi,I agree! I'm using it on a client via Wideclient and it works great. I am wondering if the round FSX earth had any affect on the calibration as there is a small displacement in FSX. But a big thanks to Rana and Matt Fox!Bob..

I asked about this a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get any replies. What I asked was: "Does anyone have FSMM working in FSX on a secondary monitor using the FSM Moving Map Launcher? I can get it to run in window mode on my third monitor, but as soon as I switch to full screen the screen goes black. I have the latest freeware FSUIPC installed in FSX. It works in full screen in FS9, so I was wondering if there was a way to make it work the same in FSX".I downloaded the utility from Fadsoft, but couldn't get it to work in full screen. I'm not sure if I was using it right though, as the documentation isn't very detailed. I agree, that FSMM is an excellant program, And would also like to thank Rana. I really miss being able to use it in full screen on another monitor like I did in FS9.Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated!Thanks Bill

Bob, I've noticed that FSX objects are often not exactly where the map shows. But I have never found more than a 0.01 minute discrepancy between the lat/lon coordinates in FSX and in the map.As this is less than 100 feet, it seems the map projection errors are minor (although near the poles that may not be true). My guess is the displacements we see are the result of errors in the location of scenery features in FSX versus in real life.John

Bill, having only a single monitor, I cannot be of much help there.But I can confirm that the FSMMM window-on-top display works only in FSX windowed mode. To get it in full-screen, I suspect integrating it into the kneeboard is the solution, as Rana did for FS9.Whether this is possible is probably beyond my expertise. The FSX kneeboard now has a file with an .xzp extension, which did not even exist in FS9, and googling it has not shed any light so far.I will keep digging, as I too prefer full-screen.John

Hi everyone!The displacement is not enough to justify one minute of trouble shooting. :) I thought I had noticed a slight difference; that's all. I use Moving Map on every US flight and cannot imagine simming without it. Bob..