Sign in to follow this  
Paul K

Was the Local Legend Fokker F.VII ever improved ?

I seem to remember mention of Orbx doing some improvement work on this model, but haven't seen anything since. Was there an upgrade of the original release, and if so, what was done  ?

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

18 minutes ago, Paul K said:

I seem to remember mention of Orbx doing some improvement work on this model, but haven't seen anything since. Was there an upgrade of the original release, and if so, what was done  ?

There was indeed an in-sim update recently Paul, but I didn't get to see the release notes, and I haven't flown any of the Fokkers since.  :rolleyes:

If you have it, there will be an update for it if you go to your profile.  It isn't automatic.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Just now, bobcat999 said:

There was indeed an in-sim update recently Paul, but I didn't get to see the release notes, and I haven't flown any of the Fokkers since.

Ah, thanks for that. I'll go and see if I can find a change log. Thanks again.

@Paul KFound it:

We will be releasing an update to the Fokker F.VII soon. Please see below for the changelog:

F.VIIa/1M
Fixed engine start-up and throttle issues
Fixed altimeter reading 0 when over 10,000ft
Fixed magnetic compass jumping
Updated geometry and textures for entire cockpit
Updated rear wall fuel panel with correct levers
Improved gauge readability
Introduced new fuel control system
Added steerable tail skid
New steering wheel yoke
Chocks/parking brake removed

F.VIIb/3m Original Cockpit
Fixed engine start-up and throttle issues
Fixed magnetic compass jumping
Updated geometry and textures for entire cockpit
Updated rear wall fuel panel with correct levers
Introduced new fuel control system
Improved gauge readability
Added steerable tail skid
Added new hand-crank click prop engine starter feature
New steering wheel yoke
Chocks/parking brake removed

F.VIIb/3m Modern Cockpit
Fixed texture banding on grey surfaces
Fixed blue fuel pump lights
Fixed ADF/NDB radio issues
Fixed compass card
Fixed geometry for overhead switch panel and window frame to reach switches
Updated fuel system
Improved overall switch function light status
F.VIIa / b KLM
Removed KLM logo from the floor and improved textures
Southern Cross
Improved rear cabin geometry and textures
Friendship
Fixed aircraft lean when on water
Fixed wake effects when traveling on water

All Planes
Fixed snowing inside cockpit
Fixed icing effect
Fixed gaps in fuselage and cowling
Fixed isolated textures issues
Fixed over-stressing crashes
Fixed plane rolling right after takeoff
Fixed LODs
Fixed geometry clipping on all cockpits
Fixed extended range fuel tanks on SC/Josephine/Friendship
Updated flight model on all variants
Updated in-sim checklists and QRC’s
Updated AO bake for all cockpits and cabins
New in-tail geometry and textures
New engine cowling on all variants
New clickable cockpit/cabin door
New camera view now able to enter cabin from the cockpit
New engine smoke added to all variants
Removed all Orbx branding

I didn't purchase it since the reviews were quite bad. If it was at least the same quality as the Junkers I would have purchased it.
I don't know whether it is still overpowered. AFAIK, the real world trimotor had three lower power engines whereas the single engine variant had a single engine with more power.
Possibly the MSFS versions all use the same powerful engine, hence the overpowered trimotor.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

14 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

@Paul KFound it:

I didn't purchase it since the reviews were quite bad. If it was at least the same quality as the Junkers I would have purchased it.
I don't know whether it is still overpowered. AFAIK, the real world trimotor had three lower power engines whereas the single engine variant had a single engine with more power.
Possibly the MSFS versions all use the same powerful engine, hence the overpowered trimotor.

Fantastic, thank you ! That's quite a list.

But...it says "We will be releasing an update to the Fokker F.VII soon". Do you know whether the work was done, or is it still to be done in the future ?

8 minutes ago, Paul K said:

But...it says "We will be releasing an update to the Fokker F.VII soon". Do you know whether the work was done, or is it still to be done in the future ?

It is released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul K said:

That quote was from April. It's from this thread so it should be released (as previous poster confirmed)
I am curious if the Trimotor is still overpowered and has a believable flight model. I don't expect it to be of the same depth as the Boeing 247, but it should be at least in the same league as the Junkers and Beech 18.

Update:
The F.IIVa had a single 420 Hp engine, while the F.IIVb/3m had 3 300 HP engines.

Edited by orchestra_nl
additional info
  • Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, orchestra_nl said:

That quote was from April. It's from this thread so it should be released (as previous poster confirmed)
I am curious if the Trimotor is still overpowered and has a believable flight model. I don't expect it to be of the same depth as the Boeing 247, but it should be at least in the same league as the Junkers and Beech 18.

Thank you very much. I've just had a read through that thread. It seems that there are still issues with it, particularly with the lack of brakes. Though authentic, it makes taxi and landing a bit problematical. I've asked over at the Orbx forum.

21 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Thank you very much. I've just had a read through that thread. It seems that there are still issues with it, particularly with the lack of brakes. Though authentic, it makes taxi and landing a bit problematical. I've asked over at the Orbx forum.

Regarding the lack of brakes, I could not find out whether the real FVII had brakes but at least some of them had them installed later. Off course, in those days aircraft usually landed on grass runways, and combined with using the propwash over the elevator it seemed manageble.
Until the flightmodel is updated to make this possible they should at least add virtual brakes. I assume a real world retrofit would have brakes installed since otherwise I doubt they would be allowed to fly.with passengers these days.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig: