Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Opinions on Condor 2

Basically the title of my post. I am a real glider nut and I spent a lot of time in FSX glding, but feel like I'd like to take it more seriously. I'm wondering if any of you here has the same love of glding and have tried, or are currently using, Condor 2 and what your thoughts are.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Love it. But cannot use it. If you have a time table that adapt to the mulitple online compatitions around europe that usually starts 19h CEST (there are competitions in USA of course) then it is amazing. It has the best flight dynamics ever. Better than xplane, dcs or MSFS (lets hope MSFS adds some love in this area)...

It is fun to fly around, but the best experience is in a competition, where you can start really great, and suddently all strategy breaks because you don't find the right thermal or reach the cliff. Races last more than 1 hour... until I think 3 hours. Has not the best graphics, but amazing flight sim. Specially with VR.

• Like 2

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Maybe you won't understand anything as it is in spanish, but this are great moments videos:

And this one is just be behind and because better energy at the end great finish

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Love it. But cannot use it. If you have a time table that adapt to the mulitple online compatitions around europe that usually starts 19h CEST (there are competitions in USA of course) then it is amazing. It has the best flight dynamics ever. Better than xplane, dcs or MSFS (lets hope MSFS adds some love in this area)...

It is fun to fly around, but the best experience is in a competition, where you can start really great, and suddently all strategy breaks because you don't find the right thermal or reach the cliff. Races last more than 1 hour... until I think 3 hours. Has not the best graphics, but amazing flight sim. Specially with VR.

5 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Maybe you won't understand anything as it is in spanish, but this are great moments videos:

And this one is just be behind and because better energy at the end great finish

Thanks for this, appreciated.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Japo has made an excellent assessment of Condor2 already.

I should only add that:

1) I am still looking forward for Silentwings v2 because I always found it's modelling of convective lift more accurate IMO and I also liked their flight dynamics, sometimes more than I do Condor2...

2) Forget about ground physics in Condor2. Tug aircraft physics also very limited / unrealistic in many aspects. Consider it starts the moment you release...

3) Competitions can indeed be great but, just like IRL be prepared to spend some good time playing it, without interruptions !

4) Have long been asking for "Situation Save", in offline mode. Too many times I had to brake a task losing all of what I had so far achieved 😔

Both Austin Meyer (LR) and Sebastien (ASOBO) have mentioned additional details  in the modelling of soaring weatger, with ASOBO's approach looking more promising given they want to model convective lift based on Albedo, effective Sun radiation, etc...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

continued.... 🙂

5) Thermal "morphology" / structure during a thermal cycle is also something most of the flight simulators that tried to model it leave a lot to be desired, MFS being no exception and indeed Condorsoaring being probably the most perfect I have ever found, better in that aspect than Silentwings.

Prticularly when in the presence of winds, and even more with shear, real world thermals get distorted and separate. Most sims do them purely cylindrical and for instance in MFS if one tries to spiral within it's updraft currents it sually vanishes as you make 360º...

6 ) Orography and the lifting energy that can be generated from it to help a glider maintain altitude or climb is present in MFS, but it's still a bit of a mistery how ASOBO has implemented it. So far my tests show some innacurate effects, namely in the reach above mountain tops of the orographic effect. OTOH nothing even close to lee waves is modeled. Rotors and associated effects are also not modeled in MFS, although we do have sinking air currents in the lee sides of mountains

Frontal / convergence sources of lift are yet another aea where all sims I have used, Condorsoaring included, fail 100% ... Maybe, with it's fast progress, we can hope for something like that to get modeled one day in MFS ... Where I usually fly IRL we can do long distances in convergence 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

17 hours ago, jcomm said:

Both Austin Meyer (LR) and Sebastien (ASOBO) have mentioned additional details  in the modelling of soaring weatger, with ASOBO's approach looking more promising given they want to model convective lift based on Albedo, effective Sun radiation, etc...

One of the things that they will miss (I hope I am wrong) is the possibility to make competitions. MSFS is closer than XPlane with that, as they have already programmed the Reno races... but those are totally different as the glider ones. In any case, the possibility maybe by SDK is there.

• Like 1

Indeed Javier, and... just out of curiiosity, when will we see the JRollon creations in MFS ? ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

When we solve a problem we have to completelly allow REP to use its magic.... it seems we are close, but not enough still.

• Like 1