Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dazzlercee_2

Ultimate Terrain X has given me the blurries............

No significant load time problem.When I takeoff in a flight, everything is sharp and beautiful. Shortly into the flight the blur begins and evolves into a scene where I see cars running around all over the place, but with no roads. In between, the roads blur, and become jaged lines.I normally run AVG free edition, but it is turned off. In addition I turn everything else possible off with autostart.I have removed the checkmark from indexing service.I also have tried reducing the UT texture resolution to 5M as well.None of this seems to have made a sufficient difference. The blurries still grow as a flight continues.Compared to FS9 options, I see no simple way to return to default FSX textures when turning UT off. Am I missing something?Respectfully:RTH

Guest Irishman

Avast was certainly the culprit for my system. I was having 20+ minute load times and now I am down to 2-3 minutes. The only change was disabling Avast.Now if I can just convince myself to lower some other settings to allow me to have night lighting without scnery blurries...

>No significant load time problem.>>When I takeoff in a flight, everything is sharp and beautiful.>Shortly into the flight the blur begins and evolves into a>scene where I see cars running around all over the place, but>with no roads. In between, the roads blur, and become jaged>lines.>>I normally run AVG free edition, but it is turned off. In>addition I turn everything else possible off with autostart.>>I have removed the checkmark from indexing service.>>I also have tried reducing the UT texture resolution to 5M as>well.>>None of this seems to have made a sufficient difference. The>blurries still grow as a flight continues.>>Compared to FS9 options, I see no simple way to return to>default FSX textures when turning UT off. Am I missing>something?>>Respectfully:>RTHJust out of curiousity, what graphics card are you using? I have the same problem and mine is a 7600 GS - 256mb. Just ordered a 8600 GT so hopefully that will make a difference. If not at least I'll be ready for dx10.

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Same problem here. I'm running a 7800GS OC 256. It is really hard finding an acceptable balance between FSX, ASX, and UTX. I'll keep tweaking until I get it right.

8800GTX, so I doubt that upgrading a video card will help. (One wonders about downgrading sometimes).It would be interesting to know how many NVADIA owners have this problem compared to ATI????Sorry:RTH

UTerrain had the option for restoring FS2004 textures. I don't see any such option for FSX which IMHO leaves something to be desired. What I would like to do is go back to scratch, have FSX default roads until this is resolved, and activate the other UTerrain provisions.When I deactivate the highways and roads in FSX, I have no roads at all.How do you restore the FSX default roads and highways?Thanks:RTH

>How do you restore the FSX default roads and highways?>>Thanks:>RTHI did it by created a special UTX exclusion folder in the FSX Scenery Directory and copied all the exclusion files from the UTExcl folder except the RDU road files and activated it in the scenery library then deactivated the UTX Roads and UTX exclusions. The default roads won't look as good but it will do until a solution is found and you'll still have all the other UTX goodies. TIA, you also might want to tell Allen of UTX about your problem because he seems to think the main cause of the blurries with UTX is lower end resource challenged systems....your computer hardly fits that description!http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=21442

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Maybe try to make sure Anisotropic Filtering is turned on in your video card and is not Application Controled.Try setting it to 4x or 8x.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

I found that one of the reasons for the slow load times using UTX was that if you set the Airport Traffic Density using the Setup Tool at anything above 3% it would result in 100% traffic in FSX because it's not a percentile slider..there's just four settings.1 = Min2= Low3= High4= MaxIf you set the UTX slider at 5% it will write a 5 in the FSX.CFG and anything above 3 is MAX!!! That's the reason for all the reported slow loads of land air & sea traffic especially at a large airport! I just completed a two hour flight and with the airport vehicle density set a MIN my load time was less then a minute and I had minimal blurries. The textures were set at 2m and everything was activated except lighting, minor urban roads & major road traffic. Also I used a low wing aircraft instead of the high wing C337 & C172 I was using. The low wing Saratoga decreased the side viewing area by 50% which helped my texture draw times.

Well, looks like we may be at an impasse.At least some of the extensive SimForum posts have been locked concerning this issue by UT or whoever. A bit surprised as there was a lot of open discussion earlier. Seems the conclusion by UT is that it is a resource glitch within our systems that has nothing directly to do with UT and they are through with the issue. I hope I am reading this wrong and/or there is a reconsideration. Seems a bit surprising to this ignorant soul as some replies were by those that had nothing installed except FSX and UT. Guess it may be something else within our systems. I fear getting UT to work properly may be out of my league regardless of the cause.I sure would hate to have to ask for a refund, particularly as I have not found a way as of yet to do away with UT and get back to the same exact state I had before installing it. So far, no matter what I do, I am missing FSX default minor roads. Starting over and reinstalling/reactivating FSX would sure be a pain, particularly because I purchased and installed Ultimate Terrain.Don't mean to bad mouth UT, just disappointed with the current state of affairs and sure hope that some kind soul outside of the previous loop finds the solution. I have loved UT in FS9, and it looks great in FSX for a few minutes at least until things start to smell bad.Tomorrow will be a new day. Here's hopeing!!!!Respectfully:RTH

None of the threads were locked at the Ultimate Terrain forums Simforums. In fact, Allen has a reply waiting for you in one of the threads. I think the "state of affairs" is rather excellent, with a lot of effort going into a very advanced conversion program to FSX, that is just 5 days into its release. I just take exception to your claims that do not seem true and I do not even uderstand why you needed to take them out of the forum when people are trying to assist there.The likely thing is that is is a glitch in your configuration, not necessarily your system. Did you try the settings on the filtering I mention above?What is definately becoming aparent is that:Some virus scanners are interfering with UTX and FSX, primarily Avast. Not on everyone, but some have had tremendous improvement after successfully disabling or reconfiguring Avast.One had to disable Defender.Also, the Indexing service can be disabled.Some of the above affects all users, not just UTX users.With all the settings, it is VERY complex the combinations of things. But as I even discovered, I got rid of blurries by changing settings in my video card, not FS. So not only do we have to get to the bottom of the best FSX settings, the video card needs a whole new set of rules.There is so much to configure in FS, such as distance, traffic, resolution of textures, and there are sliders that override other sliders. So it is VERY complicated. And also, it is VERY IMPORTANT that to prevent blurred textures you do not slew with the Y key. If you do, you move past the cached area and the world will become blury. You will have to wait for things to fill in.But I did see zero indication of any closed threads in the simforums discussion. It is all very active there.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

I have to agree. I have tweaked for two days straight trying to get UTX to work well with my setup. I just disabled UTX and my FPS jumped at least 4x what they were during it's heaviest load condition (night, KLAS, flying a heavy), even though the UTX performance gauge shows a minimal performance hit. I will keep trying to get it better, but my hopes are diminishing.

I really can't believe so many people are surprised by this... FS9's Ultimate Terrain always gave a certain percentage of people the blurries. The UT forum at SimForums were full of individual users asking for help. Look around and you'll see it was a problem for users. Some attributed it to FS9, others the computers, and for some the "tweaks". I also always found it funny that a lot of users would say they fixed the problem or never had them, but screens shots would prove otherwise. Some are just a lot harder to please I guess. Here's an example: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=14610 You will even see a post that claimed to get rid of them with new mesh, but the delineation between sharp and blurry terrain is clearly defined in the bottom of the screen shot.This is the first few months of a new flight sim that performs just as bad or worse than its predecessors and you're trying to add detailed add-ons that didn't come out for FS9 until much later in the cycle. If you honestly expect the performance of FS9 in its present state with FSX, then you're sadly mistaken. I just don't see being able to run all these applications at once and having a very enjoyable experience. The hardware has always has to play the catch up game because developers from MS all the way down insist on pushing the boundaries 5+ years ahead of current standards.Personally, I'm waiting until things really smooth out in FSX and the hardware has had some time to catch up before even installing it. The desire to enjoy the sim and fly is too great to waste so much time tweaking and dumbing down the sim just to try a new product.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

"WHat about the blurries" was the first thing I thought when viewing the UT screenshots. If SP1 already causes blurries with default scenery, adding more detailed scenery is only asking for trouble.Until Aces have restored the FSX texture loading performance to pre-SP1 levels, I'll have to live without UT.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

With my tail between my legs, Hello Steve:In the Ultimate Terrain Series For Microsoft Flight Simulator forum, Allen said: "Guys. this thread was supposed to be locked, so that we could keep it clean for important information. I guess I unlocked it by mistake" I guess that I stopped short of reading the rest of the story when he also said: "So I started a new one and made this editable."I am thrilled that you straightened me out relative to my interpretation of what was being said and that the hunt goes on: With all of the obvious effort toward the beginning of the threads, I felt like things were evolving into a sidestepping attitude. My sincere apologies to both you, Allen, and anyone else I have misread and offended. I also "take exception" to me. Late, tired and frustrated I made a posteria of myself.I am not sure to which thread you make reference in Allen's reply to me. I have been monitoring: Ultimate Terrain Series For Microsoft Flight Simulator - Topic: UTX roads problemUltimate Terrain Series For Microsoft Flight Simulator - Topic: FSX very slow loading with UTXUltimate Terrain Series For Microsoft Flight Simulator - Topic: Diagnosing UTX Performance IssuesI assume you refer to the last two replies by Allen in the Daignosing UTX Perfomance Issues.Yes, I already had the filtering you recommended.I have AVG antivirus, but it was disabled.I have also tried various video card settings, but have not found the key yet either. As I mentioned in another thread, it might be interesting to find out what cards folks are useing that display the problem and which do not.Agreed on the slew routine, but I am getting exactly the same result in flight. I just can't fly @ 20 or 25 knots as can be done by slewing, in which case the textures are able to keep up.I fully realize how complex the issue is. I don't think I am a complete dummy, but certainly lack your expertise and knowledge. It is even more complex to the likes of me.Phil Taylor has a "Blurries: vocabulary and Type 3 investigation" post with a link to some of his work that may be related and relevant to a future solution as well.Again, please forgive my lack of patience and the short between the ears. I do very much appreciate the efforts by you, Allen and all others that contribute so much to Flight Simming.Respectfully:RTH