Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

In MSFS You're Not A Person, You're A Camera

Assuming a mod that simply fixes the drone camera at a user-given height above solid surfaces and then maintains that height depending on where the camera is moved would pretty much do the job? 

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

7 hours ago, rka said:

Isn't he even the guy which has a complete toy room for flight simming? 😛

You know that because he takes every opportunity to remind people of it lol.

8 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

repeatedly, and with basically the same point over and over

That is definitely his MO

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

14 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

I don't see the point. 

When i want to walk around i use the drone camera which is perfectly OK to pretend you're a person in that virtual world.

Yes - Into The Lens (Official Music Video) - YouTube

I do that as well but it‘s not the same, is it? It doesn‘t feel like walking at all, especially when climbing the stairs. It feels more like playing Casper the friendly ghost. An avatar mode isn‘t high on my personal wish list either but I think it would be nice to have one day. 

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I do that as well but that‘s not the same, is it? It doesn‘t feel like walking at all, especially when climbing the stairs. It feels more like playing Casper the friendly ghost. An avatar mode isn‘t high on my priority list either but I think it would be nice to have one day. 

Perhaps, but then i would prefer a hybrid mode of walking/driving

When I arrive at an airport i sometimes visit the city to explore.

Walking would take forever. In drone mode i increase the translation speed and, voila, i'm a train/bus/car heading to the city.

In the city i climb a church tower, a bridge, a sky-scaper etc. 

What really annoys me is that since Update 9 or so, you cannot walk through those buildings anymore because your viewpoint then bounces on top of the object instantly.
That I find a more pressing issue to fix first.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

14 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

When i want to walk around i use the drone camera

Drone camera is not satisfactory for walking. We need a proper walk view, to walk fast, regular, hear the foot steps and look around with mouse. Oh yeah and to zoom in with mouse wheel for professional inspection.

11 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I do that as well but it‘s not the same, is it? It doesn‘t feel like walking at all, especially when climbing the stairs. It feels more like playing Casper the friendly ghost. An avatar mode isn‘t high on my personal wish list either but I think it would be nice to have one day. 

I find the same can be said of many 1st person shooter games, which to me do not feel very different than the MSFS drone camera.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

What a ridiculously absurd thread. From a meta-perspective, with everything going on in the world, the bickering seems close to meaningless.

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

You know that because he takes every opportunity to remind people of it lol.

That is definitely his MO

Aren’t you talking about yourself, rka and Ricardo41 ? 

Did you see how many people agreed with my first post in this thread ? Then look at how many have agreed with you posts ….

Makes you think don’t it …. ?

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

What a ridiculously absurd thread. From a meta-perspective, with everything going on in the world, the bickering seems close to meaningless.

It isn’t mandatory to reply. 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

"Wasting time" on this topic or this game or this hobby doesn't change the fact that the Ocean's will boil away, the stars will die, and the cosmos will suffer a long and boring redshift into nothingness. So what do we really lose by enjoying our time here together? 🙂

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

"Wasting time" on this topic or this game or this hobby doesn't change the fact that the Ocean's will boil away, the stars will die, and the cosmos will suffer a long and boring redshift into nothingness. So what do we really lose by enjoying our time here together? 🙂

Nothing, I suppose. But to me the fascinating question is, is there anything more that can be said on this topic, beyond the 11 pages worth that's already recorded? (I am sure there will be more ...)

1 minute ago, cobalt said:

Nothing, I suppose. But to me the fascinating question is, is there anything more that can be said on this topic, beyond the 11 pages worth that's already recorded? (I am sure there will be more ...)

Actually, the fascinating question is how many more times you will write a reply on this thread complaining about how long the thread is?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Didn't take long!

True!

I see it as a simulation of being a pilot, myself.

As such, I personally think it would be neat to do the aircraft walkaround, tiedowns, inspection, fuel checks, move surfaces, etc. Not sure why folks think that automatically makes it a toy. If so, lots of pilots are playing. 😉

But, what do I know, I'm just a lowly avionics dev.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1