Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

In MSFS You're Not A Person, You're A Camera

I don't agree on the point of being an immersion killer, but I'd love to get 1st person controls for moving around while on the ground. As an occasional gamer, it seems a lot more intuitive to me to use wasd and mouse for moving / looking around while maintaining a normal view point, plus shift for running, c or ctrl for crouch, space bar to jump. 

• Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Isn't it ironic...  You have this group of users who slag a developer because of it's wheel and cabin textures but this other group of users who only care about the cockpit and would never see the wheel or cabin textures without "walking around" anyway.  I personally use this "walk around" every flight in P3D with ActiveCamera.  I always thought it was a Slew Mode tweak...  I love it and would love to see it in MSFS. 

Then you have these users who want the weather to match exactly what it is doing out the window at the moment and others that want to match conditions to the sim time.  Then we have some that are enamored by the scenery and others that say it loses its value behind a cloud anyway and it's cloudy a lot in the EU ergo it's value is diminished.  We have some that only see the water from the top down and others that want interactive H2O dynamics.  

My point being, we do not all want the same things and people will say whatever they believe validates their opinion...  Outside of a core sim that is stable and performs well which MSFS is aptly working towards the "use cases" of the sim are up to the user.  None is right or wrong.  Just differing opinions and choices.  

Argumentum Ad Populum is not a valid argument.  Just because 15 people like a comment doesn't mean it's the majority OR correct. There isn't a downvote option to even have an accurate perspective of how the 15,000 people who didn't "like" it felt.  It's right up there with the I'm rubber you are glue defense.  

Then there is the peanut gallery who has no commentary on the thread just hangs around and comments on people commenting LOL.  

And here we are 13 pages later... 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 6

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

20 hours ago, MattNischan said:

I see it as a simulation of being a pilot, myself.

As such, I personally think it would be neat to do the aircraft walkaround, tiedowns, inspection, fuel checks, move surfaces, etc. Not sure why folks think that automatically makes it a toy. If so, lots of pilots are playing. 😉

But, what do I know, I'm just a lowly avionics dev.

Now how about simmer who have a limp. I think that HAS to be a slider. 

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

There is a reassuring aspect of this seemingly endless thread. Until now, the main items of contention on this and other MSFS forums have centered on performance, scenery, real weather, ATC, problems with mandatory updates, and other basic stuff. The fact that so much attention is now focused on walk-around apps and similar things, suggests that MSFS is moving into a new phase. Not that the above-mentioned issues are all resolved, but they seem to be receding into the background and are causing less angst than they used to. To me this signals progress.

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 3

On 6/29/2022 at 1:02 PM, GSalden said:

It is called Flight Simulator ….

Not Walk Around Simulator, not Car Simulator, not Ship Simulator, not Train Simulator…

On 6/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, micstatic said:

they have what you want already.  It's called Grand Theft Auto

Then what's the point of including luggage, storage, document compartments, etc. with operable hatches, panels, doors, etc., and to having the ability (in some models) to actually "load" luggage piece models into the respective compartments (without respect to weight & balance considerations)? By the logic of the two cited quotes, such things are silly and superfluous to FLYING THE DANGED PLANE [ONLY]!

If other genre vehicle simulators are able to include such interactive experiences (toward recreating & representing a more comprehensive environment & scenario), then why can't MS/Adobe as well if, for some participants (perhaps more than you suspect ;;) ), it makes for a more "complete" (walkaround preflight check, etc.) & immersive experience? It seems there is a singular lack of imagination on the part of some folks making such comments.

I suspect that such folks would better relate to a release with the title "Flying Simulator" rather than to one with the title "Flight Simulator".

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Ideally, they will expand the feature so that with the press of a key, “T” possibly, your avatar will Tik-Tok!  Then you can go on walking and running.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Oh yeah, forgot about Tik-Tok, another place where the viewing numbers are going through the roof 🙃

Whats Tik-Tok anyway? a few hundred yt video distributors,

Oh wait, just checked, my wrong it's half the word not allowed world  😁

Edited by icewater5
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Two members are trying to wind each other up. Knock it on the head please.

Still no one else gets the “you don’t have to reply” treatment? Unless it was tongue in cheek…

I guess meaningless bickering is perfectly fine, but commenting on such gets the mod treatment. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Still no one else gets the “you don’t have to reply” treatment? Unless it was tongue in cheek…

I guess meaningless bickering is perfectly fine, but commenting on such gets the mod treatment. 

The two people involved have discontinued their argument. I suggest you cease too as your posts add nothing to the topic discussion.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

The two people involved have discontinued their argument. I suggest you cease too as your posts add nothing to the topic discussion.

Fine, sir! I’m out of here.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

9 hours ago, psolk said:

There isn't a downvote option

Not having been a particularly long term forum user generally, I have often wondered about this. Is this something that used to exist at any point? Strikes me as a perfectly reasonable option but none of the (very few) forums I've visited seem to have it, and yet the simple ability to indicate disagreement with a "dislike/downvote" might be enough for some folk and avoid some of these lengthy "my dad/sim/pov can beat up your dad/sim/pov" sort of exchanges that crop up sometimes. And yes, I know, one can always just move on/not read the thread etc, but I'd be curious to know if there is some history to this or if it's just generally considered more PC this way.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

2 hours ago, icewater5 said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Tik-Tok, another place where the viewing numbers are going through the roof 🙃

Whats Tik-Tok anyway? a few hundred yt video distributors,

Oh wait, just checked, my wrong it's half the word not allowed world  😁

It would be another great way for M$ to connect with even more audience, imagine Tik-Tokking avatars gyrating all over the the tarmac, and then running around  their planes, eventually flying through the St. Louis Arch and other monuments!  I bet that would run on Xbox even.

• Upvote 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Not having been a particularly long term forum user generally, I have often wondered about this. Is this something that used to exist at any point? Strikes me as a perfectly reasonable option but none of the (very few) forums I've visited seem to have it, and yet the simple ability to indicate disagreement with a "dislike/downvote" might be enough for some folk and avoid some of these lengthy "my dad/sim/pov can beat up your dad/sim/pov" sort of exchanges that crop up sometimes. And yes, I know, one can always just move on/not read the thread etc, but I'd be curious to know if there is some history to this or if it's just generally considered more PC this way.

I have been here (I seem to remember) since the late 90's off and on, and I can't remember ever seeing a 'downvote' option. I wonder if this forum gets a little too contentious as it is. Folks calling others noobs and downvoting gives them yet more 'ammunition'. I know they would use it. We've have already seen similar.

On topic - the more I think about it, the ability to walk up to your aircraft and perform a walk around isn't such a bad thing. The ability to bypass this would suit everyone too.

I realize (as others have pointed out) that Asobo have enough 'core sim' stuff still to fix, but it is well withing the capabilities of other developers to make something like this. Orbx did it for for free for a previous sim. 

On 6/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, MarcG said:

The possibilities of this game are practically endless, walking/running hell even driving around are achievable (the latter already!).

The only thing preventing full growth into a possible full on Planet Simulation is MS/Asobos vision, let's hope they share some belief that they can make this more than just a Flight Simulator.

I agree. Especially, if you are into bush flying --> games like FarCry, GTA. GhostRecon Wildlands already have rudimentary flying missions. Or a mash-up between MSFS and CoD.

I don't really see it as a high priority, but I don't find it strange that someone would like their pilot to occupy physical space in the sim so they can walk around and inspect stuff as a digital person.  If it helps with immersion, then it's worth considering.

Again - not at the top of my TO DO list, but no harm in putting it on there either.