Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Stutters now gone

For over a year I have not had stutters or problems with ground handling.  Then all of a sudden I started to get them. 

I tried all the suggestions that were given here and nothing worked. I reinstalled the sim several times.  I ran it with an empty Community folder.  Nothing worked. I would be all over the runway on takeoff and once i got in the air the flight would be real erratic with stutters and then CTD.  When I did get several thousand feet up and made it through the stutters, everything would work fine.

After trying everything else, I suspected my controllers.  I unplugged the USB connections and plugged them into different sockets.  Now everything is smooth as silk.

I think the connections were not making good electrical contact and causing the controller to be erratic.  Sometimes when making good connection everything would work fine, then it would lose it's connection and cause no control and stuttering. When taxing and taking off I was constantly using the controller.  After getting up into the air I took my hands off the controller and let the AP handle it.  So no controller, no stutters.

Not saying the is the final fix, but it worked for me.

Roy

• Like 3

That seems to be a personel solution. But good to know that malicious USB contacts can lead stutters too. Thanks!

For me stutters came with SU8/SU9 as far as I remember. Earlier this year, the sim was in best state I ever had, but since SU8/SU9 I got minor problems: Stutters at certain situations, probably due to Terrain LOD/CPU loading and what is disturbing too, trees and other scenery objects show up (or better pop up) very late in close distance. As said, before this was not the case and I could run the sim with LOD 400 easily but now sometimes 200 is still too much.

Let's hope it will be cured with the next update and/or the full transition to DirectX 12.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I agree with what you said that my controller problem was a personal problem that contributed to the stuttering and controller problem, and not the real fix. SU8/SU9 was more than likely the cause.

The reason I say this is that when I purchased the sim in January of 2021 I had all the graphics settings at ULTRA with just a couple at HIGH, and LOD at 400 and Frame Rate at 60.  I had no problems then and I was getting 60 FPM.

Now I have them at HIGH and MEDIUM with LOD at 200 and Frame Rate at 30.  And it still struggles at that.  The steering problem went away but I still see a few blips now and then while flying.

So I would still say, if anyone is having similar problems, one of the things to check is your USB connections.  Hopefully this will be corrected in the next update.

Roy

2 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I agree with what you said that my controller problem was a personal problem that contributed to the stuttering and controller problem, and not the real fix. SU8/SU9 was more than likely the cause.

The reason I say this is that when I purchased the sim in January of 2021 I had all the graphics settings at ULTRA with just a couple at HIGH, and LOD at 400 and Frame Rate at 60.  I had no problems then and I was getting 60 FPM.

Now I have them at HIGH and MEDIUM with LOD at 200 and Frame Rate at 30.  And it still struggles at that.  The steering problem went away but I still see a few blips now and then while flying.

So I would still say, if anyone is having similar problems, one of the things to check is your USB connections.  Hopefully this will be corrected in the next update.

Roy

Having a USB connection that is flaky, or a USB controller that is going bad, can cause all kinds of problems with a sim. You are feeding it garbage data that it can't decipher. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Windows puts USB ports to sleep and wakes them back up when the device is used. Stutters.

Every windows update, some but not all HID's and USB devices have Properties reset to 'allow the computer to  turn off the device to save power' 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

So the "allow this device to wake the computer" box should be UNCHECKED?

To keep the USB peripherals always working, both boxes should be unchecked.  There's no reason except saving electricity to have them turned off. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I've hated the periodic task of going thru what seems like hundreds of HID/USB devices doing this.  Is there an automated program to do it all ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

59 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I've hated the periodic task of going thru what seems like hundreds of HID/USB devices doing this.  Is there an automated program to do it all ?

Open your powerplan settings and edit via advanced settings the USB suspend setting to disabled...

• Like 1

André

Another thing is, certain hardware (particularly Saitek hardware) can disconnect from time-to-time, even with the powerplan set correctly.   Solution is to unplug/plug back in, but that's kind of annoying.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just a follow up.  I'm back to stutters then CTD.  Made a couple of good flights, the back to stutters and CTD.

Will try the suggestions above.

BTW. I have the Logitech Flight Yoke System with Saitek Pedals.

Roy

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

There is 🙂

https://web.archive.org/web/20201001115703/http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

Rich Sennett

9 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

This only works on saitek devices though. I have a lot of stuff. And I thought you had to do selective suspend off and then turn off each individual one?

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 minutes ago, micstatic said:

This only works on saitek devices though. I have a lot of stuff. And I thought you had to do selective suspend off and then turn off each individual one?

Hmm interesting didn't know that - thanks for heads up

Rich Sennett

11 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Hmm interesting didn't know that - thanks for heads up

Well with the setting in the power plan and a simple batch file that will do the trick 😉
powercfg -devicedisablewake “device name”

• Like 1

André