Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

X-Plane 12 Dev Deep Dive -Ep 7: UI, SDK & 3rd party products

Yeah. It's a good head scratcher. Like Ben said though...the SDK itself doesn't know, let alone have, all the answers yet.

Depending on what landclass data they mix in now, the overlays will probably have to be rewritten. World2XP is still very active, so the overlays could come from there. I'm guessing that would account for the climate data for trees among other things.

The most obvious disadvantage is the water. It's the bathymetry data, merging it or imitating it, that will be the biggest issue.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Wow, this is looking so much better already! I love how the video resembles another well known Q&A format. Only this one is filled with actual development info instead of fluffy marketing stuff.

Aannnyyywayyy... I wonder if it would be possible for them to offer a streaming API in XP12 which an external app can connect to and stream ortho imagery without the need to pre-download it like now?

Edited by SubtotalGuide

13 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Aannnyyywayyy... I wonder if it would be possible for them to offer a streaming API in XP12 which an external app can connect to and stream ortho imagery without the need to pre-download it like now?

Or... maybe one day someone can come up with a "scenery bridge" between XP12 and MFS, allowing for XP12 to be used with MFS as a scenery server, just as it is now possible for instance with Aerowinx PSX and ELITE IFT 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 7/2/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Did I read right, that if you use ortho (which I imagine a lot of people do/will) that the 3D waves are disabled? 

From the Developer.x-plane com

A new feature in a simulator can create new bugs that need to be fixed – this is why we invited our third party developers to try out the simulator early in the process. For example: When we made the water waves 3D, they started sticking up through orthophoto scenery. (In X-Plane 11, orthophotos just “paint over” the 2D water.) Last week we implemented water masking, so that orthophoto scenery can cut out the 3D water to avoid these bugs.

But they speek from that orthophotos paint over 2D water.

I think by using DSF/imagery water_ratio=1.0 in Xplane 11 the orthophotos are build to show the original water from X-Plane.

If so in X-Plane 12 it should show the 3D-water.

I use Ultimate Water Enhancement in X-Plane 11 and it works with my Orthos

This ist my hope.

• Like 1

My Youtube Channel

Hardware Intel i5 12600k, Gigabyte Z690 UD, Gigabyte Nvidia 3070TI Gaming OC, Corsair Vegeance RGB 32GB Kit CL16

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

Or... maybe one day someone can come up with a "scenery bridge" between XP12 and MFS, allowing for XP12 to be used with MFS as a scenery server, just as it is now possible for instance with Aerowinx PSX and ELITE IFT 🙂

That's just an extra step. A streaming function / API would just allow a piece of software like this; MSFS2020 Map Enhancement » Microsoft Flight Simulator to stream in the data, meaning we'd get the functionality and LR doesn't have to worry about paying for it. 

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

4 minutes ago, Sethos said:

That's just an extra step. A streaming function / API would just allow a piece of software like this; MSFS2020 Map Enhancement » Microsoft Flight Simulator to stream in the data, meaning we'd get the functionality and LR doesn't have to worry about paying for it. 

Yes this is what I was thinking reading through the thread.  I have been using that mod for MSFS and have been very pleased with the results using the Google data.  Something like this mod for XP12 would be fantastic if someone were to create it as I could ditch my 6TB of ortho tiles and have no need for an external drive.

• Upvote 1

Ryan