Sign in to follow this  
wiggum

Bad LOD in Alaska (Mountains)

Hi,

not using any mods. The LOD in Alaska seems pretty bad, especially for the snow covered mountains in some places.

Not having such a problem in other places. I was told the Bing Maps for Alaska are know to be bad and there ther is a bug so the further you go north in the world the worse the LOD gets?

Have you experianced something similar in Alaska?

I have the same problem. Yesterday I did a short flight from Sitka to Juneau, and the ground textures were quite disappointing, just like the mountain mesh.

Additionally, there were large patches of generic textures (which means the ground textures originally had clouds on them).

And of course, from Juneau to the north/west, everything was still under snow, including the sea water surface...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I think their meshes (?) are buggy due to SU9 conflict. NZ has been updated, and Alaska & Himalaya/Asia are scheduled for update, but no ETA yet.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Alaska is pretty bad, and for that matter the northern Rockies into Canada as well.  I have a few payware airports in that area that don’t get much use due to the disappointing ground textures.  I hope this is high on their list to improve as I would think this is a popular area for flight simmers.

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Its somehow the same problem in every place in the northern hemisphere with the LOD. I think its a bug.

Yeah but this bug seems to be known since mid 2021. Still not fixed it seems. You would think that with the second USA World Update they would fix that.

Texture wise, neither of the two popular map providers seem to have good, complete coverage of Alaska.  Both Google and the new Bing data are patchy in their coverage, though both have better imagery than we currently have in many places.   I'm not sure how they intend to improve the whole of Alaska with consistency without completely fresh images.

Mesh wise I think the Orbx mesh does a very good job, though as i don't live there i cant vouch for it's accuracy, but it's certainly am improvement on default...     but it's currently broken.

8 hours ago, wiggum said:

Hi,

not using any mods. The LOD in Alaska seems pretty bad, especially for the snow covered mountains in some places.

Not having such a problem in other places. I was told the Bing Maps for Alaska are know to be bad and there ther is a bug so the further you go north in the world the worse the LOD gets?

Have you experianced something similar in Alaska?

The LOD isn't good in some areas of the Canadian arctic either.  It's probably partly the source imagery as you mention.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

LOD aside, the main issue for me is seeing snow covered areas in Alaska that are 18+ celsius.

That's an issue with Meteoblue's snowcoverage data, which is read at the lowest possible resolution instead of the hightest.

Has been discussed many times on the official forum, yet the devs seem to ignore the issue for the time being. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

yet the devs seem to ignore the issue for the time being. 

Which seems to be a very common theme with Asobo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shamrockflyer said:

Which seems to be a very common theme with Asobo.

It doesn't impact the stability of the sim so it won't be high priority.

Coverage up there does seem poor, was excited to hear PAVD had been replaced with a bespoke airport. But Port Valdez itself looks like a disaster zone!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron