Sign in to follow this  
solito

Starting MSFS at a predeterminated location

Should be in the future an option to set MSFS to start with a predeterminated aircraft and location, as we could do at FSX  ?

• Like 3

I'd love to see the day when I'd be able to start the flight from the excellent SimToolkit Pro by simply clicking the "Fly Now!" button in the app after setting up the flight plan.

• Like 1

I'd like the ability to load up your aircraft in the same state, same position with current time / weather...

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Unless I am missing something in your question, MSFS already has this capability via the world map. Select your aircraft, zoom in to the precise location you want to start (can be an airport or anywhere), and select it as your point of departure. I do it all the time. OK, on further thought I realize that you want to be able to start MSFS itself at a predetermined location. But the action I suggested above would take, what, 10 seconds longer? To Greazer's point, I have done this with a hang-glider off the peak of Everest, using the world map as described (I managed to land safely on a glacier; awaiting TV interviews).

Edited by cobalt

The world map is good but could do with more options such as

1. Initial direction of flight by degrees

2. Initial height 

3. You could then set your speed by your own throttle position or a set speed if a keyboard user.

You can already choose the weather, time/date and aircraft type/livery through the existing options.

Would love the ability to do like I used to in FSX and p3d. With the aid of FSUIPC, I could start a flight from exactly where I last left the aircraft. I could start the flight in current weather and time. 

I dear say that the perfect sim for me would be MSFS 2020 with all the features of FSX/P3d; afforded by all the addons that kept them going all these years. Add A2A airplanes with persistent state capability and VR. 

I hope I am around to experience a sim like this.

• Like 1

Robin

I want MSFS to behave as FSX, in which you could select an initial flight to start from directly.

6 hours ago, rjquick said:

Meigs Field. (you're old if you remember that)

Don't remind me. I also know how it looked in those days:
94118-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_4.0a_(1

This probably is FS4, which I played on a friend's dads PC.
FS 5.0 was the first version I purchased myself. I still have the book that came with it (yes, these days it came with a manual)

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

On 7/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, solito said:

Should be in the future an option to set MSFS to start with a predeterminated aircraft and location, as we could do at FSX  ?

FSI Panel can do this.  You have to load somewhere in MSFS first, but after that FSI Panel can move you to a point of your choosing, altitude, heading, etc. It will set that up and hold your position until you are ready to move.

4 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

Don't remind me. I also know how it looked in those days:
94118-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_4.0a_(1

This probably is FS4, which I played on a friend's dads PC.
FS 5.0 was the first version I purchased myself. I still have the book that came with it (yes, these days it came with a manual)

That is the first version I used. I found it immensely interesting and have fond memories of it. Flying from Meigs to O'Hare and back was great fun. Working in the semiconductor field, I was hearing daily of what advances were coming and realized that flight simulation was only going to get better. I got a number of others as well like Sublogic and Jane's Navy aircraft sim (I loved that one). Some of them even came with paper maps with airports and navaids on them (I still have them). 😂 And yes, each iteration brought amazing advances along with new problems and glitches. Anyway, RIP Meigs Field. 😞

• Like 1

I started with the first version on an ibm pc-at in B&W, but I remember Meigs in all it's incarnations. I actually had a commercial flight to Chicago in the late 80's and I remember looking at the window on the approach to Ohare and seeing Meigs. I wanted to tell someone, but nobody but me cared.

As a reminder there's a free Meigs on Flightsim.to.  https://flightsim.to/file/834/merril-c-meigs-field-kcgx

There is also a more detailed commercial version somewhere, but I think the free one is detailed enough.

FYI, You can also play several of the very early versions of FS at  https://s-macke.github.io/FSHistory/.

Really cool to see that it still works but flying with the number pad is tough.