Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildberry160659

Loading Times in FSX

Guest wildberry160659

I use FSX with Vista 32 bit ultimate with FSX SP1 installed on a farirly fast system & get good results. But when I first started using FSX, it took only a minute or two to load for example, a Mission. Now it takes 7-8 minutes!I have defragged etc. (new PC so plenty of room anyway) & cannot really understand why the load times have blown out.Any ideas?Peter

Have you just installed Ultimate Terrain ? There's a huge discussion on Load times going on over at SimForums.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest wildberry160659

Thanks Max.No. I've only installed the FSX upgrade for the Level D B767 some Missions. Peter

Peter,Is the levelD your default aircraft on startup ? Try changing to a cessna or something to that effect. The load times are signifigantly longer loading the hi-res levelD repaints. You can also try going to the DXT3 skins which will also help. Tony

Guest wildberry160659

Thanks Tony,I use a C172 at a small local airfield as default already. This has really got me stumped. I'll keep scanning forums to get some ideas.Peter

Guest cwright

Long loading times are a big issue with high resolution photoreal scenery (e.g. Horizon GenerationX). Filemon is a very useful Microsoft utility that lists every single disk access. Filemon revealed, for instance, that when loading a flight in Japan, FSX insists on accessing all the GenerationX (UK) files, which can greatly increase loading times (up to 25 minutes have been reported!) Why FSX needs to access scenery from ten thousand miles away is still a bit of a mystery.If you run Filemon while loading the flight it may give some useful clues as to what is causing the long load times. You can get Filemon here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...sk/Filemon.mspxBest regards, Chris

Guest wildberry160659

Cheers Chris - I'll check it out.I have also just discovered that an old version of Microsoft Works I added (to maintain some campatability with some old files) caused 1 core of the CPU to run flat out, effcetively reducing me to a single core which no doubt slowed things down. I have removed Works & I have both cores back so I will test further.Peter

Guest wildberry160659

I'll be darned (to quote a North American expression). It was wkscal.exe! As soon as that was removed, the loading time went back to 30-40 seconds!I did some monitoring of other appliactions to see if any others created problems & found the reality-xp Garmin trainer for FS9 also jammed up the system. It dodn't shut down when FS9 had closed. As soon as I closed it via the Task manager, all was OK again.It is obviously some XP vs Vista issue.My specs are (in the hope someone else with a similar problem may be able to use this):E6700Asus P5BE MoBoNVidia GeForce 8800GTX2GB RAMVista UltimateCheers all for helpPeter