Sign in to follow this  
kkbelos

Some questions about VFR flying and entering airspaces

Hi

I am quite familiar now with Pilot2atc and it's working very well for IFR flights. I am starting now to try VFR flights, which surprisingly can be more challenging in terms of planning and ATC. I got some questions that I could not answer after reading the documentation and watching several videos and tutorials. First, I have to say that I mostly use the SayIt + feature, as English is not my mother tongue, and sometimes I get very funny results.

- Assuming I am flying VFR, no flight plan and no flight following, and I will cross a Bravo airspace. Which frequency should I contact in order to get the transit approved? TWR, approach? Sometimes, in big airports, there are several additional frequencies, and I never manage to get the clearance to transit the Bravo airspace. 

- In Euroland we don´t have so many class B airspaces, but most of the airports have class C or D aerospace around them. At least in Spain, class C or D require transit clearance from the ATC. How shall I manage this in Pilot2atc? In SayIt+ I can only see the option to request the transit for Bravo.  

- Again, if I am flying VFR without flight following but I am near an ILS-equipped airport, and I would like to request vectors for the ILS. How can I do it? When I try, sometimes I get a squawk and a "radar contact" but afterwards nothing else. Which frequency shall I contact to get vectors for the approach? Tower, Approach?

Thanks in advance! Wonderful product. 

• Like 1

There is no call for clearance to enter Class C or D airspace.  Remember, you don't need permission if you are flying above the top of the airspace or in the case of Bravo airspace, under the overhang.  There are some good resources online that explain the various airspaces and procedures.  However, if in Spain C and D airspace is more like Bravo airspace, extendiing up very high, then P2A does not support that.

when requesting an ILS approach on a VFR flight, you can contact tower about 15-20NM out and make a request like:

<CallSign> twenty miles south at 5000 feet requesting radar vectors for the ILS approach to runway 25 center

There are several variations of this call in SayIt.  If you contact approach, you must include the desired airport ICAO code.

That should result in a squawk code being given followed by "radar contact" and the beginning of vectors.

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC
  • Like 1