Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Is JF VC10 PRO a CTL-E Start Airplane in v5?

Loads and flies fine in v5 for me now. Don't know what the difference is. But I can't start it by the book and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I have power, I have the fuel configured for engine 3 as directed, and I have the external air on. But when I initiate the start sequence from the engineer's table, the lights come on, but nothing turns, much less burns. I find the leap of faith required for the air disturbing. I can't see anything that is actually showing pressure like in every other jet I've ever had. The manual is not very helpful.

I'm happy it works at all, and if I have to use CTL-E, then so be it, but just wondering if anyone else has had any luck. It's been British Air month with the discovery of David Maltby's fantastic BAC 1-11 and the resurrection of this old VC10 download. (So much happier with this One-Eleven compared to the--frankly--lousy Just Flight version.)

JF Aircraft can have a bit of a quirk to them at times where the engines won't light up despite connecting the fuel up because the sim still thinks the mixture is set to full lean (despite not being a prop), I had this issue with the 146 and setting the mixture to full rich with ctrl-shift-f4 before engine start seemed to fix it for me.

That said I was never able to get their VC10 Professional to work properly in v4, it always had a bugged DC electrical system logic that I could never resolve, though I don't think the standard version had those problems.

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

CNTL-E worked for me, I gave up on the start sequence.  

I had problems initially but then I realised that I had forgot to switch on the Ground Crew Jack Control. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I figured as much. I fly JF airplanes probably as much as any payware, but they're either heavily modded (the DC-8s) and/or have some peculiarities. I always end up thinking, "There's a good airplane somewhere in there," but I'm by no means a hater. I'm not going to beat my head against an engine start issue that's not even the pilot's responsibility. About time the rest of the crew pulled their weight in the cockpit.

• Like 1

When you do get a real flight in, don't forget to adjust your speed.  This puppy is FAST...  🙂

I find JF planes are always spot on with their manuals/checklists to getting the engines going, although after recently looking into the VC10 for a Sim Market review, I find their description of getting the engines started is very vague with the many switches and dials available. I did get the engines started tho using the checklist. 

9 hours ago, adam77 said:

I did get the engines started tho using the checklist.

I don't see any difference between the procedure described in Tutorial 1 and the checklist. If anyone has been able to start it, please describe where the process differs from the documentation. JF manuals are sometimes simply awful--I'm thinking of the vague DC-8 fuel management, which had to had to have been written by someone who had no idea how to work it, so pretty much left it at, "then do some stuff with with the fuel." If it doesn't start by the procedure, it shouldn't bother me, especially since it's not officially supported for v5. I have a programming bug, too, though. I hate giving up on inconsequential challenges 🙂 (By the way, the fuel system works fine in the DC-8, not that you'd know if from the manual, which is a shame.)

Edited by Tim_Capps

On 7/6/2022 at 7:07 AM, Bunkie said:

When you do get a real flight in, don't forget to adjust your speed.  This puppy is FAST...  🙂

You got that right! This is a handful once you get up to speed after takeoff. One second you're poking along at 220 kts, then you look away to fiddle with something for a second, and the next thing you know the overspeed warning is going off! 

Okay (CC: @adam77  too for his input) JF support replied that no one has ever had an issue with starting the VC10. Since I have more faith in this community than JF support, I'm throwing out the complete step-by-step procedure recorded as I completed each per the tutorial. It's pretty clear something goes wrong, and maybe someone can figure it out. (I've also shared this with JF support FWIW.) I am a retired criminal defense lawyer and I'll never get over tracking down every bit of evidence and getting to a verdict. I suspect my near unbroken string will continue: GUILTY of felony buggedness. (Whew, I caught the original charge and changed it before posting! Again, since everything else works, unless you count fuel management, I'm not going to retire it, but if there's a solution, I'd rather have it.)

Toggle cold and dark state

Set parking brake

Confirm HP fuel cocks shut

Nav lights on

Ground crew activated

Open doors

Switch off yoke view

Turn on No. 1 battery

Confirm gull’s eyes in-line

Confirm reading of at least 25 volts

Set 1 and 2 TRU switches normal

Set 4 generator switches (upper electrical panel) normal

Set all hydraulic switches to normal / open

Check no warning lights on engineer’s panel (ruh roh)

Here is the first indication of trouble, because there are a lot of warning lights on, and here is the list.

Engine: 4 bus fail

Upper electrical: 4 generator fail

Lower electrical: ground power (NOTE: I am on battery, so it should be on, but I have tried uisng ground power and it doesn’t make any difference); main 1 & 2 DC supply fail

Airframe anti-ice: 2 Stub o/ht; duct fail; o/ht

Air: 4 air red; 4 air lights (below that) amber; 2 NVR amber; 2 red (above); mass flow ctl (?) auto off 4 amber; radio fans amber

Hydraulics: 8 LP amber; 1 isol

Continuing with tutorial steps:

Fasten seat belts & no smoking

Stall identification set 1

Verify gear down 3 greens

Check fuel

Tune nav radios

Select VOR/LOC

Close doors

Remove ground equipment

Beacon on

Pitot head heaters on

Toggle ground air supply (hear flow)

Open No. 3 LP fuel cock

Confirm gull’s eye in-line

Both fuel pumps tank 3 on

HP fuel cock lever on pedestal for no. 3 all the way forward to start

Master selector knob on engineer’s table LP start

Starter light on

Ignitor lights on

Now no. 3 should start to turn, but the green rotation light does not come on and engine doesn’t turn.

Not sure of relevance, but in the military version, the APU start light just blinks when pushed, but APU never starts.. However, right now I’m concerned with the civilian models.