Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiffy_scimitar

Better cloud formations / asx, xgraphics?

Guest spiffy_scimitar

Hi all, I've been wanting some more varied and interesting clouds, and solid layer clouds that actually look 'grayed over' when it rains, etc. I'm a little confused by Xgraphics and ASX. It seems Xgraphics is what I want for better cloud formations? But does it download and apply real world weather from FSX, or is the functionality impaired by not having ASX to coordinate? All I care about is having realistic and varied formations, not super advanced weather tracking tools. Also, how does these programs affect performance?thanks, Mike

Simply put: X-Graphics is supposed to give you better looking clouds (amongst others). You can let FSX generate the weather and it will look better thanks to the better cloud-graphics X-Graphics gives you (well, that's the idea anyway: you might not like their clouds of course). Using ASX might make things look even more better, because it simply is better at generating (real) weather (better as in (again, simpy put) 'more detailed' weather). You can also let them work together (ASX will load textures from X-Graphics (not real time) that fit with the weather, at least, that's an option. If you don't want advanced weather tracking tools or real weather at all, you can also manually make the weather you want with the FSX weather options. It's not as convenient and deep as ASX but it's got lots of possibilities and it's free. ;) I always fly with a few cirrus and stratus clouds so I don't need ASX at all. ;)Concerning X-Graphics: you might want to wait for Flight Environment (a similar addon) which may blow X-Graphics out of the sky.

Guest spiffy_scimitar

hmm, not a glowing review of ASX/Xgfx. Sounds like it would at least provide for more variety, which is what I'm after.. whether that's worth $70... The Flight Environment website has a whole lot of creative writing but nothing to show.

Flight Environment will hopefully be released July 7th. Even though I doubt if they will make that date, I am sure more info will be put online. In the meantime you can see various screenshots on www.simforums.com (just search for Ground Environment).About the not so glowing review: I do not own both programs because 1. I am not interested in that detailed weather (and certainly not for that money!) and 2. yes, well, X-Graphics looks nice but I think FE will be better. And what I've seen from X-G-pictures doesn't impress me too much, at least not that much that I would buy X-G immediately. I think both programs cost too much for what they offer. But I'm sure (a full 100%) others totally disagree! ;)

Guest jcmckeown

Can't see I'd pay 70$ for this but we're all free to spend our money as we like!JC

I have found ASX with X-graphics to be very good, and it is a great match for me because I am very interested in weather, especially recreating past weather (mostly due to my facination with the Weather Channel lol). X-graphics has been great. I've had a few problems (minor), but all in all it has been well worth the money for what I like to see while flying. ASX really is the meat of the two products and it is great using the two together to create the weather that you would like to see while either creating the weather, or downloading in real-time. The many options that ASX brings to the table really make this program a must have for me. Not saying it works for everyone, and it is quite expensive.As for FEX, not sure how it will all turn out, it certainly looks quite good. We will have to see how it all shakes out in the end.

Hi Mike;X Graphics supplies a large range of pre-set cloud, sky, water and some varied modification to airport textures - tarmac, concrete, markings, etc.. It also gives one the ability to create your own environment, based on the modification of any of those pre-sets OR created entirely from scratch. It will then (after backing up your original textures) install the new "theme" into FSX. ASX downloads r/w weather conditions for the selected area, and applies those conditions to the default FSX clouds, sky, water, etc.. It does a few other things, but that's basically it. I found very little or no impact on performance.If you've loaded up X Graphics textures - then it will use those instead - which , of course, are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the default. Active Sky has been the standard for weather simulation in the FS world for a long time, and for many people - including myself - it's a "must have". In FS9 I use ActiveSky alongside UT USA, Flight Environmet and Ground Environment Pro. The result - compared to FS default - is quite phenomenal. The new version's cost is probably commensurate with the cost of the newer technology, more features and better functionality: I don't begrudge it - it's part of the cost of my hobby - just like better golf clubs, the price of beer and bank charges, and when GEX comes out I'll be one of the first in line!Hope this helps;:-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have ASX/XG and they are well worth the cost. I find little or no framerate hit due to the product, IMHO comparing the same cloud coverage between XG and FSX default the frame rate is a bit better. No empirical data to provide just it appears that way plus they clouds look a lot better!If I had one complaint, it's that there are too many combinations to choose from - :) it's like a kid in a candy store going from one jar to the next.Lastly but most important, their customer support is second to none!Just MHO,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest spiffy_scimitar

Thanks, guys. Nice indepth information and opinion, and viewpoints from actual users mean more to me than website PR. Sounds like what I want. I hear you about what a product like this ough to cost, and I understand it's justifiable, it's simply a tough choice to buy eyecandy (that I know I will enjoy) or a brand new game for the price. However, at least I can make a more informed decision now.. thanks!Mike