Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Fenix updates ?

23 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

No its not, touch and goes/circuits you could do. Land with Flaps 3 if you do.

I've flown the obligatory GA circuits, but never in a commercial. What sort of distance before turn and altitude limits would you use when flying a commercial circuit? 

9 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

I've flown the obligatory GA circuits, but never in a commercial. What sort of distance before turn and altitude limits would you use when flying a commercial circuit? 

• downwind leg some 2.5NM lateral distance from runway (for reference 1.6NM will guarantee a continuous rate one turn at 150kts, but  if you want a proper "base-leg", simply fly downwind farther away from runway. 2,5NM is a good start).
    • Speed 180-190KIAS 
    • start timer abeam landing threshold ,3 secs per 100ft over the terrain, if you are flying pattern at 1.500ft AAL, you would continue abeam landing threshold for 45 seconds in nil wind conditions.
  • priot to baseleg turn, Select F2 + gear down.
  • established on base, start reducing altitude, V/S of 500ft is a good aimpoint, adjust as necessary
  • before you roll out on final, select F3/FULL.
  • Aim for fully configured and at VAPP 1000ft AAL.
  • Distance from threshold as you roll wings level on final? well a 3 degree path is 300ft per NM. So if you roll out on final at 1000ft AAL you should be almost 3NM from the runway treshold.

This is one way of doing it. There are probably many flavors. As we say Aviation, you can achieve the same result by using at least three different methods 😎

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Regarding flare, and even takeoff, I really like the feel of the Fenix A320 too.

The problem with the lack of rudder authority might well be caused to some quirk related to the steering tiller vs rudder logic.

I'll give my settings a look. I have my T16000 Z/Twist axis set to steering, and I use Saitek Combat Rudder for yaw.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Aamir became a millionaire after the release. He probably took some vacation. I would do the same. This is the problem with successful projects, when you make so much money you have no reason to work anymore.

2 minutes ago, cepact said:

Aamir became a millionaire after the release. He probably took some vacation. I would do the same. This is the problem with successful projects, when you make so much money you have no reason to work anymore.

He is on his Discord site, many times during the day, answering questions. Doesn't sound like he is on vacation. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:
  • downwind leg some 2.5NM lateral distance from runway (for reference 1.6NM will guarantee a continuous rate one turn at 150kts, but  if you want a proper "base-leg", simply fly downwind farther away from runway. 2,5NM is a good start).
    • Speed 180-190KIAS 
    • start timer abeam landing threshold ,3 secs per 100ft over the terrain, if you are flying pattern at 1.500ft AAL, you would continue abeam landing threshold for 45 seconds in nil wind conditions.
  • priot to baseleg turn, Select F2 + gear down.
  • established on base, start reducing altitude, V/S of 500ft is a good aimpoint, adjust as necessary
  • before you roll out on final, select F3/FULL.
  • Aim for fully configured and at VAPP 1000ft AAL.
  • Distance from threshold as you roll wings level on final? well a 3 degree path is 300ft per NM. So if you roll out on final at 1000ft AAL you should be almost 3NM from the runway treshold.

This is one way of doing it. There are probably many flavors. As we say Aviation, you can achieve the same result by using at least three different methods 😎

Excellent. Many thanks for that. 

5 hours ago, fmloyola said:

Flare is so weird too... But I don't think Fenix will update this because Aaron said "Well, there are snippets from streams of people like Blackbox saying they prefer the feel of the flare here vs. elsewhere.So I feel like the statement "flare mode isn't working" is a bit strong."

Whatever ones subjective feeling is, the fact that you have to start flaring at 40 feet rather than 30 feet on a normal approach (700 FPM) means something is factually not working as it should. The flare process reminds me more of the A330.
Not a huge problem, but something that will challenge your muscle memory if you're used to something else 🙂 Anyway I guess it will be fixed eventually.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, airlinejets said:

I also used to have a difficult time landing this bird. I don't anymore. I start reducing thrust around 50 feet and begin flaring at around 40. I don't overdo it (2 or 3°) and release pressure on the side-stick. Don't wait for the "retard" call, that's only there as a reminder that you need to have the thrust at idle before you touch down.

Thanks for sharing that. I've also had a hard time not getting it bounce or land outside the touchdown zone, but I usually don't go to idle throttle until I hear the call for it.

Mark

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

17 hours ago, Gate99 said:

Thanks for sharing that. I've also had a hard time not getting it bounce or land outside the touchdown zone, but I usually don't go to idle throttle until I hear the call for it.

Mark

Do it at the same time, start a soft flare once you've heard "40" and close the throttle quickly once you moved the sidestick. This should prevent long landings. Also be sure to have a stable approach, max. 800 fpm, better is 700. Otherwise you will have to flare either really early or really hard, and both will lead to floating.

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

Do it at the same time, start a soft flare once you've heard "40" and close the throttle quickly once you moved the sidestick. This should prevent long landings. Also be sure to have a stable approach, max. 800 fpm, better is 700. Otherwise you will have to flare either really early or really hard, and both will lead to floating.

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

In my jumpseat rides in 319, 20 and 21s I was very attentive to their flare / landing technique and I observed that pretty much all of the PFs started their throttle retard way before the "retard... retard..." aural sounds. 40 feet in most circumstances a little bit more in one of the cases...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Afaik you should first flare and then go to idle. As someone else already mentioned the 'retard' callout is a reminder, not an instruction.

This is gross oversimplification.

at 50, check your speed and trend vector! this will effect the flare and power reduction. Start your flare with excess energy and you'll end up floating.

Edited by ha5mvo

On 7/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, garydpoole said:

Sorry. Post failed. Don't know how to upload an image here. Link to image below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/frvrqCDEscKLQitH7

Edited by flyingpauls

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.