Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

fsx still running after EXIT?

Hi,I have the foillowing strange behavior:I close FSX, either via the menu command or via the close button in the top bar. The screen disappears as one would expect.Then when I want to run FSX again, say after 1 minute, I get the following message":Microsoft® Flight Simulator is still running.and indeed, in the Windows Task Manager, Processes tab I see a fsx entry...Any idea's how this can happen?Note I'm running at dual core.Nicohttp://www.nicokaan.nl

Guest cbuchner1

Thread deadlock. Maybe one of the worker threads hangs and the main thread keeps waiting for that other thread to terminate.

Guest blista1989

What happens if you wait for longer? I've noticed that FSX can will keep running for 30seconds after it has supposedly closed but after that time everything seems to be as expected (ie shutdown FSX).

Guest UlfB

Nico,Maybe the problem is caused by some add on application that installes a DLL or EXE file into your FSX setup.If you have such add ons, try to disable all add on DLL and EXE files and see what happens. You have to edit the files dll.xml and exe.xml (found in the same folder where your fsx.cfg is). If you don't have any add-on dll or exe installed, those xml files won't be present in the folder.You may use notepad to edit the files. Look for the first tag from the top of the file. Change the value from False to True. This will disable all DLL (or EXE) files when FSX starts up. An example: the tag value False should be changed to TrueIf FSX exits without any problems, I suggest that you enable them one by one to detect which one is causing your problem. Edit the file once more and change the first back to False. Then change all other tags in the file from False to True, except one of them.Don't forget to take a backup copy any file that you edit!A shot in the dark fromUlf B :-)

Ulf,Thanks for your shot in the dark, but no luck ...I have removed all the dll's and exe's but still the same problem.(BTW the exe's cannot be the problem, because they are seperate programs)?Nicohttp://www.nicokaan.nl

"... Then when I want to run FSX again, say after 1 minute ... "

Hello Nico:I have seen exactly the same thing happen, but it is not consistant in my case. I have waited a considerable time after shutting down FSX and seen it happen. Thinking it was properly shutdown, I have gone on to do other things, come back, and not been able to restart fSX either without restarting the computer. Fortunately, it is somewhat rare in my case so is not too significant to me but I know what you are talking about.Good luck:RTH

I see the same thing. It doesn't happen often, maybe once in ten times. The only add-ons I have are the SF260 and the LDS763 but it was doing it before these were installed. Strange...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Len

>Hi,>>I have the foillowing strange behavior:>>I close FSX, either via the menu command or via the close>button in the top bar. The screen disappears as one would>expect.>>Then when I want to run FSX again, say after 1 minute, I get>the following message":>>Microsoft® Flight Simulator is still running.>>and indeed, in the Windows Task Manager, Processes tab I see a>fsx entry...>>Any idea's how this can happen?>>Note I'm running at dual core.>>Nico>http://www.nicokaan.nlBut if you run it again right after, not having rebooted your system, FSX will load much faster. On the other hand, you can manually close it down through the task manager.

Negative:When this happens the only way to shut it down or restart it is to restart the computer. FSX has been exited, all windows disappear normally, but she is still displayed in the taskbar as running, however closing it there has no affect either.Sorry.RTH

That's my experience also. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Negative:>>When this happens the only way to shut it down or restart it>is to restart the computer. FSX has been exited, all windows>disappear normally, but she is still displayed in the taskbar>as running, however closing it there has no affect either.>>Sorry.>RTHNo all you need to do is in the process tab right click on fsx.exe and hit End process. This will force terminate the process, and it should disappear, at which time you can restart FSX. I've seen this before SP1 on occasion, but since then it seems to be happening more often. I think what was said above about a stuck thread(s) is what's happening, probably between cores!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Yes, I've experienced all of the problems mentioned here and one other: MY ENTIRE SYSTEM SLOWS DOWN!!!For example, to go on-line normally takes about 5 seconds but after shutting down FSX, it takes more than a minute or two to fully display the AOL home page; and the delays continue for the entire on-line session.Other tasks such as bringing up MS Word have similar delays.Thus far, only a reboot solves the problem.WindowsXP, Dell XPS Gen3 Pentium4 3.60GHz 1 Gig of RAMRadeon X800 XT card-GeorgeM

What if you wait longer?The FSX window indeed disappears before we have released all memory. I get this too occasionally, and if I wait a bit longer I can restart. I do not have to reboot.

Guest RonB49

If you use FSAutotart to launch FS and wait until FSAutostart reenables all services and closes, then the problem seems to be solved. Of course this is likely because FSAutostart does not do its cleanup work until FS has completely shut down. In other words, it forces you to wait until FS is finished. R-