Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Limited by MainThread

2 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I was going crazy trying to diagnose a cpu limited condition.  The most noticeable symptoms were severe lag spikes when view panning and severe lag when zooming the world map.   I'd see 1% lows in the single digits with the max fps around 60.

I kept thinking it was a problem with either the chipset drivers, the CPU power plan,  or GPU drivers.   I tried GPU and chipset driver reinstalls,  tried using DDU Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode,  reinstalled Win 11,   upgraded to Win 11 22H2.  Same problem.

Turns out that having the GeForce Experience overlay enabled was the culprit.  

From now on when I find a good driver revision I'm going to keep a local copy of it.  

How do you disable it?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

From what I understand AMD Chips are more Core based performance with more active cores working on a game/program and Intel Chips are more Mhz per core but less core intensive.

If this is correct and MSFS doesn't really benefit from more cores I would assume Intel chips are better for this sim ATM...

Would this be correct?

Chris Camp

10 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

From what I understand AMD Chips are more Core based performance with more active cores working on a game/program and Intel Chips are more Mhz per core but less core intensive.

If this is correct and MSFS doesn't really benefit from more cores I would assume Intel chips are better for this sim ATM...

Would this be correct?

To avoid any argument, all I will say is that it appears raw core speed / instructions per cycle is still more important than more cores to MSFS. 

Once you get past about 8 cores I am not sure of the advantages to MSFS.  More suited to benchmarks and video processing it seems! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

6 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

To avoid any argument, all I will say is that it appears raw core speed / instructions per cycle is still more important than more cores to MSFS. 

Once you get past about 8 cores I am not sure of the advantages to MSFS.  More suited to benchmarks and video processing it seems! :biggrin: 

Thats what I've heard...

Thanks for still confirming it's true.

• Like 1

Chris Camp

6 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I'm wondering if your 12900K would deliver about the same perf as a 12700K.  Or is there some advantage of the extra cores beyond raw fps.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

18 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Would this be correct?

5800X3D is the way to go atm for MSFS. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/amd-5800x3d-performance/510937

Edited by MySound
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mace said:

I'm wondering if your 12900K would deliver about the same perf as a 12700K.  Or is there some advantage of the extra cores beyond raw fps.

Yes, it would deliver about the same.  In fact, if you want to try to overclock these chips, the 12700k is probably a better choice in terms of value for money. 
Apart from running windows tasks in the background, I am still unsure of the benefit of the eight efficiency cores in titles like MSFS.

All I will say is the Windows 11 seems to sort it out well; it only ever runs MSFS on the Power Cores, and of course, the 12700 has the same amount as the 12900 (Eight).
I nearly went for the 12700, but was offered a really good deal on a 12900k, so I went for it.  The ks model is better but wasn't out then. 

All differences are marginal though when looking at the different models.  All 12 series chips chew though MSFS in DX11 (still not tried DX12 yet).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

16 minutes ago, MySound said:

5800X3D is the way to go atm for MSFS. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/amd-5800x3d-performance/510937

The massive amount of extra cache in the 5800X3D is a game changer.  Lots of games and apps seem to benefit from it amazingly, and not just by a little bit.  This wasn't out when I bought my 12900k, so not an option.
I need to reuse my 690 board again, so hopefully intel will take a look at how the extra cache is working out, and adjust for the 13 series (or maybe 14 series now), rather than jut looking at raw speed and extra threads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mace said:

I just built a new PC with a 12700K & 3080TI, I can tell you that the 12700K is not even breaking into a sweat running MSFS. It is however very easy to push the 3080TI to it's max though

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

15 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I just built a new PC with a 12700K & 3080TI, I can tell you that the 12700K is not even breaking into a sweat running MSFS. It is however very easy to push the 3080TI to it's max though

cannot confirm that, i have a 12700k and 3090... running 5120x1440 on Samsung 49inch and i'm fully limited by CPU.

Hoping for the next generation of CPU's to get finaly to GPU limit.

I have limited my FPS to 40 to get a smooth experience and no stutters

Edited by Bam2000
  • Like 1

Same.  12700k and 3090 at 3840x2160.  CPU Limited.  

@Bam2000  Are you locking in msfs or nvidia?

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Bam2000 said:

cannot confirm that, i have a 12700k and 3090... running 5120x1440 on Samsung 49inch and i'm fully limited by CPU.

Hoping for the next generation of CPU's to get finaly to GPU limit.

I have limited my FPS to 40 to get a smooth experience and no stutters

Well. But your cpu is also not sweating. Because we are still limited by the main thread 🙂 means: one core is hammered. Rest is chilling. 

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

Same.  12700k and 3090 at 3840x2160.  CPU Limited.  

@Bam2000  Are you locking in msfs or nvidia?

Interesting, we have similar setups

Performance wise isn't the 3080TI pretty much on par with the 3090?

I just loaded the TBM on Runway 24 at Edinburgh airport with ultra settings, live weather and TLOD @ 200 at 4K and my overall CPU is sitting around 18% and GPU at 96% with around 55fps

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Interesting, we have similar setups

Performance wise isn't the 3080TI pretty much on par with the 3090?

I just loaded the TBM on Runway 24 at Edinburgh airport with ultra settings, live weather and TLOD @ 200 at 4K and my overall CPU is sitting around 18% and GPU at 96% with around 55fps

To give you an idea about the effect of cpu -- I'm currently running a clocked 8700K with my 3080TI and I too generally run a TLOD @ 200 at 4K, and I haven't tested Edinburgh, but I know I would not get 55 fps there.  I'm cpu limited currently.   Typically if I unlock frames, I get around 45-50 fps in a sparse area, and 35-40 in a dense area.   I only unlock for testing because 30 fps locked is smoother with my present rig.  @Bam2000 I too would like to know if you are limiting to 40 in Nvidia CPL or via RTSS or some other method.

I do own an aftermarket Edinburgh scenery (I think I do anyway, it's either Edinburgh or Glasglow -- the one with the purple-lighted tower) but I haven't had a chance to performance test at Edinburgh.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB